We stayed four nights in August, 2014. We chose it because of its location, and its (relatively) budget pricing. We had a third-floor room with air conditioning.
The facility looks to originally date from the 1960s and, objectively-speaking, falls into the low side of “two-diamond.” It’s clean and basic, but not ritzy. However, the unique painting and decoration goes a long way to make it more interesting! Our third-floor room, with a high ceiling, felt bright and airy. The bathroom had been partly updated.
The staff are very helpful.
There’s a garden area out front where you can sit and read in the shade.
The location is terrific – you can walk to a nice beach and a good selection of restaurants… and an easy drive to many more.
Combine all this with the reasonable price, and it’s not a bad deal.
A few more comments:
The back side of the hotel is built into a hill. That’s where the man-made water feature is located. The water is loud, but it masks sounds that might otherwise be audible from other rooms.
Being built into a hill, however, the hotel’s very close to the native wildlife. Kauai as a whole has tons of geckos, so don’t be surprised if a little one finds his way into your room. They’re harmless, eat bugs, and kinda cute, but a surprise if you’re not prepared. We also found a very large bug in our room one night – again, presumably because of the surroundings. This was a surprise, and NOT cute. However, the place was quite clean and there was no sign of cleanliness being a factor in the bug’s presence.
On balance, the Garden Island Inn is definitely worth considering, especially for a third-floor room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Garden Island Inn is a quaint, affordable boutique hotel by the lovely Kalapaki Beach and Bay, the Kauai Marriott and Lagoons and the Nawiliwili Harbor. Kalapaki Beach offers safe surfing, stand up paddle boarding, canoing, kayaking, sailing for beginners to intermediate, fishing or just plain relaxing and sunning.This is Kauai's center for shopping, live music and dining with a choice of 10 of Kauai's finest restaurants all within a short leisurely walking distance from the Garden Island Inn Hotel.The Garden Island Inn has quick and easy access from the Lihue Airport and to all the sights and activities Kauai has to offer. Let us be your home away from home while you discover Kauai! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your Garden Island Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Island Hotel Lihue
- Garden Island Lihue
- Garden Island Inn Kauai, HI