“A Great Place to Stay on Kaua'i!”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This Marriott property is fabulous! The room is like any Marriott Resort, very nice. The A/C works well, so you're comfortable sleeping at night on a very comfortable bed. The service is superb, as you'd expect. So far we've only eaten breakfast and lunch at the hotel, and I've been very pleased with what I've eaten. I'd be back here in a heart beat, if it didn't take us 22 hours getting here. It's my third time to the Islands, but first time to Kaua'i. I guess you can say the third time is a charm!

Room Tip: I opted for Pool View room, and still have a view of the beach. Very happy with my choice. FYI the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JunoBeachCPA
Write a ReviewReviews (2,877)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I had a few days to kill between a convention and a Pride of America Hawaiian cruise so I chose some R&R in Kauai. It was difficult to nail down which part of the island I wanted to stay and settled for Lihue at the last minute. I'm glad I choose this hotel. It is an easy drive from the airport (about one mile) but not so close that you hear the larger planes coming and going (I did hear the helicopters though. I believe the helicopter tours are based at this airport. The noise was not so loud that it was a distraction though.) This hotel is centrally located with Princevile approximately one hour in one direction and Waimea Canyon about 40 minutes in the other. There is also a small shopping area just west of the hotel. The room was huge with a beautiful view of the beach. It looked like all rooms had a balcony. The staff was friendly and responsive.

On one of the days, the air condition went out while I was out. When I returned, the room smelled of mildew. The staff immediately agreed to change my room. I elected to stay. They changed my air condition filter (it didn't need it. Looked new.) and the smell dissipated after a few hours. There are several barbecue grills on the grounds so you can purchase your own meats/veggies and prepare your own meals. On two of the mornings, I saw the staff cleaning the grills.

The hotel was supposedly booked up but I never felt crowded. I had no problems getting a table at the restaurant and there were plenty of beach chairs on the beach and around the pool...even on the day that the Pride of the American cruise ship docks (Thursday. It is close by and the crew encourages the passengers to use the beach at the Marriott. It is an easy walk.) On one of the nights on the beach, I watched hula dancers tell a story and watched a lighting of the tiki torches ceremony.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. All of my requests were honored at check-in. The Marriott has a price guarantee (match the lowest price PLUS 25% off of that price. I think a lot of hotels are doing this now.) so I got a great rate. I thought they would make up for the low price by giving me a bad room. That was not the case. I asked for a high floor (one that clear the tops of the palm trees. I was on the 10th floor.) and an ocean view. That is exactly what I got. The room appeared clean (except for the two coffee cups that had coffee stains in them.) Be aware that there is a $30 per night resort fee tacked on to the bill. The $30 includes (among other things) self parking and free wifi in the rooms. There is also valet parking but there is a charge for that.

This is a large hotel that also has timeshares. I was not pressured to attend any meetings. I believe someone told me that the walking path was 3 miles. The grounds are beautiful. The entry driveway leading to the hotel are tree-lined and very well maintained. I would have spent my time reading my Kindle here if there were benches. I did not use the pool but it appeared that people (both young and old) was enjoying it.

I had breakfast and dinner at the hotel restaurant. For breakfast, they have a buffet as well as menu service. I tried both but preferred the buffet. It is only a couple dollars more and includes an omelet bar and beverages (coffee and juice).

I was travelling for 3 weeks so it was great that this hotel had laundry facilities on several floors. I used the one of the 4th floor because it had a coin changer. There was only one washer and one dryer on this floor but that was fine. There was also a detergent/fabric softener dispenser that sold these items. I've not used a laundry mat for years so I have no idea if the price was right. I didn't feel as though it was high. I did have a problem getting the machine to accept my change but it turned out that the machine required more quarters than the instructions said. I had a small load so it took no time for my clothes to dry.

I would definitely stay here again!

Side Note: There are lots of chickens roaming the island...including the hotel grounds. The first morning, I was entertained by the roosters crowing.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room for a clear view of the beach. Also use the price match guarantee to make the ro...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank glhteach
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had an "immediate family" reunion and stayed at the Kauai Marriott Resort. Part of the party stayed in the hotel while others stayed in the Vacation Club (timeshare) portion of the resort. Amenities in both rooms were as expected -- mini fridge and microwave (if you request from the front desk) in the hotel, and a kitchenette (minus the range/stove) in the other. We were lucky enough to have ground floor rooms for both so had direct access to the beach and splendid pool on the property.

Just off property are many restaurants, shops and activity outfitters. The local big box and warehouse store is also a quick 5 min drive from the property. There are several restaurants to choose from on and near the resort; they also have three (3) gas barbecues you can use to grill your own favorites.

During the day, you can choose anything and everything from lounging by the pool, catch some waves on your board of choice (boogy, paddle or surf), make great digs on the two sand volleyball courts, or venture to the other natural beauties on the island. If you're doing the latter, I would suggest renting a car as taxi prices are a bit steep. You can find a good rental car deal with a daily rate about equivalent to 1 1/2 average taxi rides.

Definitely a resort I look forward to visiting again. It's great for either a family vacation or some alone time.

Room Tip: While I normally choose higher floor room, ground floor units here are the way to go
2  Thank SmithCA916
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had a great stay in Kauai with great service at the Marriott. Pool was enjoyed by all. Beach was clean and easily accessed. At first, I was a little hesitant about the look of hotel from outside as it appeared to be in an industrial area, very near the airport and town - until we got on site. The grounds were well-kept and beautiful. The walkable access to a variety of local restaurants off-site made for easy meal procurement that was less expensive. In our 4 days there, the most expensive meal we ate was at the pool side grill. Again, helpful, informative staff at check-in and throughout the stay.

Room Tip: Marriott Rewards members should use their upgrade for ocean-view room and not rely on an upgrade fro...
Reviewed 31 July 2014

There is one building that is only a hotel (where we are now) and the others are timeshares. I can only speak to the hotel building. We have 3 rooms, two on the. 16th (actually 2nd) floor and one on the 23rd (actually 9th) floor. The rooms are very nice, with newer carpet, good beds and new updated bathrooms. The grounds are beautiful and the beach is very very nice. Two minor complaints. The inside of the elevator doors need to be refinished (scratched up a bit) and although the pool is enormous and beautiful, it is ready for some upgrading (eg the black tiles along the waterline are very worn and some of the bottom tiles are as well). One big complaint. The width of self-parking spots is ABSURD. Only a Fiat could fit into those spots! I should add that the air conditioning is excellent. Views from "pool view" rooms allow views of the ocean from the decks but I suggest rooms above the 19th floor for the best views. Finally, Hannah (one of the managers) was very nice and is allowing us late checkout for one of the 3 rooms. This was a real plus as we have late afternoon flights, but even if she couldn't have done this they will give a room to use until 6 pm for just $99. Overall, a great stay so far and a very very nice Marriott!!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Bellmorons
Reviewed 29 July 2014

There is no need to leave the hotel grounds to enjoy your Kauai stay. Everything is here!! Coffee, breakfast, lunch, dinner, shopping, pool, beach, roosters, entertainment, fitness options, gardens, local vendors. No need to leave the grounds! But we did to explore. Always coming back to friendly staff, clean room, wonderful experience. Mahalo!

1  Thank Brian J
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Let me preface my review by stating that I am a Marriott Platinum member. We stayed at this resort just for one night before we ventured up to North Shore to stay in Princeville. This one night was intended to be just a one night, get rested from the flight, get your bearings type of a stay. However, we were pleasantly surprised. Being Platinum, we were upgraded to probably one of the best rooms in the resort - an ocean front first floor room right at the beach front. I doubt that we would have been afforded the pleasure of staying in this room if we were staying more than the one night. The room was on the corner of one of the tower buildings had a large bedroom, large family room, dining room, and a large bathroom, with windows on all two sides of the room. Although, things seem to be a bit dated; the property could use a face lift.

When you think of a Hawaiian Report, this is what you expect. The pool is gorgeous. This is a great resort for kids. My kids loved the pool. Kalapaki beach is gorgeous. The resort overall is well maintained, the grounds are well manicured with lush green grass. The grounds contain koi ponds and duck ponds; many spots to take nice pictures.

The breakfast buffet was not too great; not of the level you find in a Marriott city property. The dinner, was good but a bit on the expensive side. Try Merrimans in Poipu for better seafood selections for dinner, or walk down the beach and try some of the restaurants on the beach.

Tip: If you are a Marriott Elite - get the Elite daily resort package for $30 that includes parking, discounts in restaurants, and free dessert in the restaurants as well as some other amenities, including bottled water. This is well worth it.

Overall, a good property, but was made better by having an ocean front room. One fact another reviewer posted is that you have a loooong walk from the parking lot to your room.

1  Thank MillionMilr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!