Kauai Palms Hotel
Garden Island Inn Hotel(Lihue)
US$212
US$118
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsclose to the airportceiling fansaiminrooms are smallkauai beer companyalarm clockkauai museumhot showertwo twin bedsmini fridgelate arrivalbring earplugsair conditionerhotel roomgarden islandconvenient locationminutes from the airport
Reviewed 27 December 2012

For a first time visit to Kaua'i on a budget this location suited my needs. However, I will definitely look for other accommodations the next time I travel. I always stay in locations under a $100 a night, so I am pretty tolerant. I did not sleep well the ENTIRE week due to the noise. Also, the cleaning service was spotty. The upkeep is nice, but the condition of the towels and overlooking basic cleaning caused me to question.I am going to take the pros and cons approach:

Pros: Cons:
Nightly Rate Traffic noise from staff and locals
Location Loud pipe system when other guests take a shower
Amenities (see below) Noisy refrigerator (I was befuddled too.)
Upkeep Sometimes hearing neighboring guests talking
Roosters crowing

Amenities: in room refrigerator, cable, complimentary coffee, lobby microwave, lobby internet, laundry and ice facilities

I would say that although this was not suitable for me, others may find this location the ideal budget option. Perhaps upgrading to a large room would have made the difference. I was in the smallest room: 6-9 right next to the parking area. If you choose to stay, around the corner there are two highly recommended local spots: a BBQ place next to Robert's jewelry and a noodle place across the street. I tried the local BBQ place and it was AWESOME! They are perfect after a long day of sightseeing. Just walk around the corner down the side street. It looks scary, but there are no scary alleyways in Hawai'i.

Oh! One more tip. The refrigerator is exceptionally small. Do not anticipate storing large amounts of foods. Also, perishable items must be sealed and placed at the back or they will spoil.

Okay last tip, if you are traveling during the rainy season. The rain is most prevalent on the north and east sides of the islands. I experienced this personally. The south and west side rarely sees rain. The only draw back is that you have to drive further to head east or north. The majority of the beautiful beaches and shopping is heading North. Lihue is exactly in the middle, so the longest drive is an hour to the end of the highway in either direction.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 6-9 next to the front office and parking area.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2012

What a superb property and superb staff. I was a little worried about getting a non air conditioned room, but it was amazing. In fact the non air con rooms on the ground floor don't get the natural breezes. It was perfect, comfortable, clean, LCD TV, toiletries, fridge, ceiling fan. Things looked relatively new and for the price - it's great. There are also plenty of food options nearby including one of Lihue's most famous next door. Ample parking at the front of the property - not sure what people were complaining about in earlier posts and the property was full too.

The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful - there are on-site laundry facilities, tea/coffee, and yes there are roosters, which make noise early in the morning, but there are Roosters everywhere in Lihue and Kauai - so you can't escape it, trust me.

Overall price/value proposition can't be beat, highly recommended, A+++

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floor without the air cond, careful the month though.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 December 2012

The hotel offers basic rooms, with AC, TV, Coffee maker, microwave oven, sink, refrigerator and a hotplate. Clean bathrooms, free parking and open WiFi was also a happy surprise.

Kauai Palms is just a 5 minutes drive from Lihue airport.

The staff was friendly and so was the owners(?) cat, Princess, which screamed outside my room until I open and said hi!

The vending machine provides you with Pepsi etc 24/7 for 1.50 USD. Free computer with Internet access is available in the lobby.

The location isn't perfect, but the Island is small so it's not an issue. We decided to live here for our two last night because of the easy access to the airport. A good choice. Beachfront wasn't important as we travelled around a lot, as most people do on Kauai.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank waerner
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed here 4 nights. The small ground floor room had twin beds converted to a very comfortable king bed.
The bathroom was small, but updated with new tiled shower and sink. Very clean. Quiet location. No stores, restaurants within walking distance, so a car is a must. Friendly staff. No sleeping in - the roosters will wake you, but they are part of the island.
This is a nice, well maintained, small hotel - no pool, beach, but a nice place to call home while visiting Kauai.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CannSanDiego
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We were on Kauai and needed a quick place to stay one additional night. We’d used several of the places along the beach in Kapaa and found them a little worn out and impersonal for our tastes. So we decided to try the Kauai Palms Hotel in downtown Lihue. The price was right. The staff was friendly. When the need arises again to spend a quick night on Kauai, I think we will return to the Kauai Palms.

We were in room 12. Inside, it felt nearly new and very clean. The paint was fresh, the bathroom fixtures sparkled, the tile floor was clean, and the bedspread had no signs of wear. There were other clues that suggest the room itself is at least a half century old. Obviously, the property manager takes fine care. And we enjoyed the mix of old and new. The room was simple with a queen bed, chair, night stand, ceiling fan, window AC, refrigerator, microwave, and a couple pieces of art on the walls. The bath towels were delightfully soft and generous sized. The internet worked exceptionally well.

Potential first time visitors should be on alert that the Kauai Palms Hotel is in a very old section of town. Nearby homes and businesses are in need of exterior maintenance. And while exterior maintenance of the Kauai Palms Hotel seemed well cared for, the exterior felt tired and dated [thereby fitting in nicely with the neighborhood].

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple