“Simple, Great”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Bellflower, CA
“Simple, Great”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We booked this hotel last-minute at maybe 8 or 9pm after missing the last inter-island flight to Oahu. The staff was friendly, the price was reasonable, and the room was clean. The room we booked was just for 2. The bathroom was small but it wasn't too bad. I didn't sleep well due to the (wild?) roosters making noise all night, but that's not the hotel's fault. Our taxi drive up from the airport was scary as there were no street lights and the hotel is wedged between a residential area, but we were pleasantly surprised at the gorgeous view of Kauai in the morning. And the roosters, of course.

1 Thank Jennifer T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Unlike other reviewers, we had a large room and a large bathroom with tub (room 23). Strangely, there were 3 beds (for two people!) and a table with four chairs, plus a full kitchen - but the chairs were wooden and uncomfortable, and there was no couch or comfortable place to sit. We were able to borrow a hairdryer from the office; as others have said, they were great, but not available over night. No breakfast, so-so coffee, but we could make our own. It was cheap ($105 per night) so relatively good value. No view, and in an industrial area. We were visiting friends, so we were out a lot, so it worked pretty well for us, except for the long flight of stairs to the room, which were hard for an arthritic person like me.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jillian R
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We weren't sure when we first drove up but upon closer inspection this hotel was very nice and clean. Older style and smaller rooms but perfect if your planning on actually seeing Kauai and not sitting around a hotel all day- not to mention the manager (I'm guessing) was incredibly helpful and VERY friendly! Felt like we were guests in her home! I would recommend if you are not in to the frills of a fancy resort but instead a nice clean modest place to stay while exploring the island

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Bbliss318
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Ours was room #7.....small room and an older hotel, but relatively clean. No breakfast. Coffee only. Only one person in the bathroom at a time..small. However, the manager and her suggestions kind of made our visit in Kauai. She was delightful!!!! Can't beat the price, for sure. Bring your own hair dryer, though....there was none. I asked, specifically, for the back side, which I had heard were bigger rooms. However, we checked in early, so I opted for the one she gave us. Air conditioners look to be about 25 years old, but work and there is a fan in the ceiling. Be prepared for the air conditioner to sound like a mac truck, however. Would we stay here again? Maybe....although my normal hotel is at least a 4 star, so this was a bit below my normal standards. I would insist next time on being on the back side in a larger room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Nice basic hotel. The rooms are small, but very clean and nicely decorated. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Good location. Free Wi-Fi. There is a luggage storage room if you need to check out before your flight time.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Candhl
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 12 February 2014

During August 2012, I went to Kauai last minute to meet up with my at the time boyfriend who is in the navy. My flight kept getting delayed (I went through Go! Airlines and they delayed my flights every time I used them!) So I didn't actually get to Kauai until almost 9PM without anywhere to stay, my boyfriend wasn't arriving until the next day and I thought I had time to get there and find somewhere to stay since I was supposed to be there by 5PM!! I called Kauai Palms and they told me they would stay open to give me their last room because the office at that time closed at 9PM. I was all by myself, this young girl trying to figure out what to do and where to go in the middle of the night. It was my first time in Kauai, and my 3rd night in Hawaii, and my first time away from home! I got a taxi to the hotel and the women in the office were very, very kind. One of them walked me over to a restaurant next door because she was worried about me going by myself at night and offered up a flashlight. The room itself was a bigger room because thats all they had open, it was clean and well worth the money. It had three beds, a full size kitchen and a full size bathroom. They had the traditional condiments, coffee and tea, and little soaps that any hotel has. It's not like the five star marriott on the island but its comfortable, homey, pleasant, and quaint. I would suggest to anyone going to Kauai wanting a really hawaiian experience, without all the tourist traps, to stay here! They definitely showed me a real hawaiian aloha. Thanks Kauai Palms, Maria and Mokihana!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pntibbi
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 February 2014

So, when I found the hotel on the net, I was nicely surprised that you can book specific room. As we were staying there last 2 nights before night on the plane, I wanted nice big bed. So I booked room #28 which is described as LARGE room with KING size bed, air condition and mini fridge. At the time of booking on the net, I was asked if I have special requests, so I said that we will have food with us, so want to make sure that mini fridge is cold. We arrived at hotel just before 3PM check-in time. Got the key to room #22, so I asked why is not the @28 which I booked, so were were told that we got upgraded. O, well we will take it. Yes? ...NO! when we open the room it was smallest room I have seen in my life and it had a DOUBLE bed - quite smaller than KING, wouldn't you say???. So we went back to reception and tell them that this is not the room we booked, much smaller with tiny bed and we refuse to stay there. The receptionist was unbelievably rude and told us first with sarcasm : "I am sorry we upgraded you", so we ask what kind of upgrade is that, and she said that the room has kitchenette (means additional microwave!!!!!), so I told her that if I would want room with microwave I would book room with microwave! I want large room with KING size bed - that what I booked 2 months ago!!!!! and got confirmation for. So than she said that she can return our money!!! what??? and where I supposed to sleep for 2 nights??? so we asked for different room, but she said that they are fully booked...so not until my husband lost his temper...we got really upgraded and got most expensive (note: still available) room with full kitchen! That was not pleasant experience, and it's a pity as other 2 receptionists were very nice, one let me use the office to print boarding passes...I wish I asked the name of the rude one....Will I recommend??? judge by yourself!

Room Tip: Don't spend to much time to choose the room you want...you may not get it anyway!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EvaUlaB
kauaichelle, General Manager at Kauai Palms Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Aloha and Mahalo for your thoughts.
I did review your reservation and found that we did upgrade your room to accommodate your concerns for the groceries that you would be bringing with you. When ever possible we try to give our guests the items they may need or provide what we can to make their hotel stay more comfortable, sort of a home away from home. I do apologize if the clerk was not pleasant. Customer service is very important to all guest who enter the property. I am glad you got an additional upgrade to the Full Kitchen unit. Reviews like this help us to become a better hotel property and provide better service to all of our visitors. I do hope you enjoyed Kauai and its culture.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Garden Island Inn
Kauai Shores Hotel
#5 of 11 in Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Kauai Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!