“Overrated Budget Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Astoria, New York
“Overrated Budget Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a flight arriving in Lihue at about 9PM and wanted a reasonably priced hotel near the airport for just one night. This hotel had generally good reviews so I booked it through Hotwire (yes, you can often figure out the hotel by the description). What a disappointment.

First, know that Kauai has few street lights and it is often difficult to navigate at night. We turned onto the street of the hotel and wondered if it were correct. At night, it looked like a lonely, scary area. We went to the end of the road and there was the hotel, but all the parking spaces were filled in front. We parked on dirt across the street and went to check in. We were told we could park in the back of the hotel by turning onto a gravel path. o.k, sounds simple, right? Not so. With absolutely no lighting we couldn't find the gravel path and had to make a loop of the area. We finally found it and turned into an extremely bumpy gravel area. Not a good start!

The room had to be the smallest I have ever stayed in. Barely room to walk between the bed and wall. The bathroom was also very small. There were spots on the walls and the whole unit seemed severely run down. There was no air conditioning so you had to leave the slats in the windows open for ventilation. Welcome to 4:30AM Rooster World! Internet was spotty. Upon check out, I mentioned the entrance to the gravel road needed to be lighted at night. It seemed like the receptionist could care less.

What surprised me most was the positive reviews many have posted of this outdated and run down facility. Not sure what others saw that I missed. Would I ever stay here again? Despite the convenience and price, absolutely not!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank yogimax
KauaiPalmsHotel, Manager at Kauai Palms Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
I am sorry to hear your stay with us was not a positive experience.
I agree that the street lighting in Lihue town is dim and can be improved.
I have taken your suggestion of better lighting the area and I will be improving the hotel's property by lighting the entrance and walkways for better guidance and ease for our late night arrivals.

Thank you for your time in writing your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Palms! Stayed for 2 nights, as the price was right. Comfy bed, clean room, mini fridge, I am all about it. The wifi was a bit dodgy in the unit we were in... but their staff were helpful and got us all connected, no problem. Not near the beach, but close to other amenities like restaurants, shopping, and convenience stores.

The staff were a delight and a pleasure, and made sure that we had an enjoyable stay. They even went out of their way to keep a couple of cardboard bicycle boxes for us, which saved us from what could of been a bit of a hassle. Loved it, perfect for ballin' on a budget.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Madelaine M
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stay at the Kauai Palms when we arrive late on Kauai and don't want to make the drive up to Princeville late at night. We also stay here if we have an early morning flight out of Lihue. The rooms are not huge and elegant but they are very clean and the staff is excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lrovere
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

The downfall of this property are the paper thin walls. I could hear my next door neighbor as if we were in the same room including coughing, tv shows, conversations etc. For this reason alone, I wouldn't stay again which is unfortunate as this is an otherwise great value hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank nicklpickl

Travellers are raving about these Lihue hotels

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here for just one day as it was cheap and close to the airport where I needed to be before my flight. I was pleasantly surprised at how decent it was for the price. Check in was easy. Staff were very nice. Although my room was a bit dated looking, everything was clean and in good condition. The beds were comfortable and there was sufficient storage and space for 2 people. The room had your basics, including a mini fridge. No AC but the ceiling fan and the trade winds provided enough ventilation. They also had beach mats and a couple of chairs that guests could borrow which were nice pluses!

The location is again, really close to the airport and a short driving distance to Kalapaki beach - a pretty good beach and small restaurants and shops. The only downside to this place is I could hear roosters all day which sadly is enough of a reason for me to not stay here again (unless they're able to equip the motel with soundproof windows!).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ILMF2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

First the pluses....good location, nice Hawaiian style, nice desk clerk, good shower and fine water pressure, refrigerator, microwave in lobby, phone in lobby, shampoo and moisturizing lotion, decent TV set and lots of stations, and decent bed. The negatives were lobby computer not working despite still being listed on website as being operational...hair dryer also mentioned on site but no hair dryer either. The worst thing by far are the chickens and roosters that seem to have taken over Kauai and apparently the island powers are doing NOTHING. Funny how other states control populations when critters get out of hand (LA and FL with alligators, crocodiles), (CN with deer), ID and WY with wolves). Time to bring in the ghost of Colonel Sanders and 11 herbs and spices and CONTROL the population of wild roosters and chickens. Oh, and BTW, these roosters don't just crow at sunrise...2 consecutive mornings, they were making noise at 4:15 AM...well before sunrise.

Room Tip: Turn on air conditioner to help with wildlife noise and probably some earplugs wouldn't hurt.