“Nice celebration of a local culture”
Review of Luau Kalamaku

Ranked #1 of 5 Concerts & Shows in Lihue
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

The Plantation Owner's evening at Kilohana plantation was a very nice way to relax and enjoy dinner, shopping and cultural theatre in one activity. Well worth the $ :)

3  Thank Hand2handtherapy
There are newer reviews for Luau Kalamaku

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

This was my second time at a luau and my expectations were low because of my previous experience (on the Big Island). Wow, was I impressed with this experience. We were able to book a shuttle from a nearby hotel to the luau which was convenient and informative. Fun too!
Once we arrived at the luau, everyone receives a lei. Beautiful! Before dinner you can walk the grounds, have a drink, view artisan crafts, participate in hula demonstration.
The dinner was delicious. I especially liked the papaya dressing for the salad and the mahi mahi.
The show was impressive! The dancing was really good and the dancers truly looked like they enjoyed what they were doing. The fire twirling was truly amazing!
After having experienced this luau, I would definitely recommend attending. It is entertaining, delicious, and a really nice way to experience the island heritage.

5  Thank IndianaOnTheGo
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Luau Kalamaku was such a great experience. Never have been to Hawaii and going to a luau was on my list of things to do. This was not a letdown. Food was terrific...even the poi wasn't so bad. And the show was intense...must get the upgrade to the seats near the stage...got to feel the heat of the fire batons. Unforgettable!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was attended as a Pride of America excursion on a Thursday night. I think that is POA's night and the venue is reserved for POA passengers. We enjoyed the food and the show. Here are my thoughts:
- Food was good...especially the roasted pig (you can watch them unearth the pig. It is then shredded and put on the buffet).
- We thought we would sample a little of everything and go back for the things we liked. However, the buffet was closed immediately after everyone had had a chance to visit the buffet. No seconds. My advice: Try small amounts of things unfamiliar to you but get a full serving of everything else.
-Drinks (included in the price of the buffet option) were free flowing but only mixed drinks...No frozen drinks. Also, there was a bit of a line at the bar.
-Very well organized. I could not believe they got everyone to the buffet in such a short amount of time. There are several stations and the hostesses will come when it is your table's turn. No long wait in line.
There are crafts and jewelry for sell set up on the grounds, but there are also several rooms in the main house that also sells these items.
- We went with POA so our excursion included dinner and a show (we did the train ride for $10 extra and found it educational.) I believe Luau Kalamaku also has a show only option that is $49.95. POA did not give us this option.
- They do have a plated option where your dinner will be served to you if you don't want to go to the buffet...however is about $50 extra. This includes premium seating for the show.
-Seating was very tight. We sat at a table for 10 with very little elbow room.
- Show was GREAT!!!! I liked that the playbill explained the entire story. It made it easier to follow the show. Women (hula dancers) were graceful, men were energetic, fire dancers were mesmerizing!
- Wait staff was friendly.
- After the show, the actors stick around for photo ops.
- If you are doing this as a POA excursion, expect to be there for several hours. I believe we left the ship at 3:30 and returned after 10. POA will have several buses so you won't have to wait long to be returned to the ship.

3  Thank glhteach
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This was our second luau in Kauai over the past 4 years and by far the best. Each guest receives a lei, and local artisans sell their wares. You can tour the historic plantation before the show begins and there are a couple of games for the kids to play. We skipped the train ride and enjoyed free flowing Blue Hawaiians and Mai Tai's. The Imu pig was delicious. And the dancing was unbelievable. My daughters were mesmerized by the fire dancers and enjoyed the story of the evening's show. Splendid!

1  Thank 4RealMom