“Good time share exchange”

Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Boston
“Good time share exchange”
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I used my time share exchange for a week here.

The good:
On the beach and rooms had a beach view
Easy access to other parts of Kauai
Friendly service
12:00 late check out

Bad
Limited kitchen for a Timeshare
Exercise equipment needs to be updated
Even though a time share, you are charged an ocupancy tax.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Kirin11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Korean first
Seattle
Reviewed 21 January 2009

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Marriott Kauai Beach club. Overall the hotel is above average. The view we had from our room was outstanding! The staff was very friendly and the service very good. I booked the trip on Marriott's website. I researched the hotel and deals on other travel websites. I prefer to book on the hotel website in case of cancellation, I can get my money back. I'm frequent traveler and I'm gold in the Marriott rewards program. BE CAREFUL of the "WALL BED" reservation! Also, when I asked to move they wanted to charge me $250 fee in addition to higher room costs! The pictures on Marriott's website make you believe that you're getting a living room area AND a bedroom. Silly me, we didn't know that WALL BED means...a mattress that comes out of the wall. I've traveled throughout the world and never had a "WALL BED" before. A THIN CHEAP mattress and you have to MOVE FURNITURE to sleep! We had to pile up the furniture which I'm sure is a fire hazard when the bed is down. The hotel is gorgeous..just don't reserve a "WALL BED" if you want to sleep!

• Liked — The hotel gardens were gorgeous and the ocean and mountain views were beautiful
  • Disliked — BED!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SeattleTravelone
Clarendon Hills, IL
Reviewed 12 January 2009

This Mariott has seen better days and the commitment to their vacation club leaves the standard guest ignored. We had a lovely room but our tower had only one (of three) elevators working for several days. On the day we departed we had no way to get our luggage down as the only working one was completely full every time it stopped. Also, no main (or lobby) bar as well as no concierge level. The pool and beach are great but by no means is this a 5-star hotel.

• Liked — location and pool
  • Disliked — lack of dining and bar
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank nenemisha
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 6 January 2009

I stayed here for one week via a friend's timeshare.

OVERALL:
This is a very nice, beautifully maintained, full service, conveniently located resort. The rooms were still undergoing renovations while I was there. The newly renovated unit we had was well done and comfortable.

ROOM:
The unit was a one-bedroom (2 bed, 2 bath)... which turned out to simply be 2 hotel rooms with the door open between them. This didn't really feel like a condo. However, it was very nice, comfortable, and met our needs.

The unit was newly renovated. One room had a comfortable Murphy bed and a very limited kitchen (mini-fridge, microwave, and sink). The other room had a very comfortable king-sized bed. Each had its own bathroom, balcony, LCD TV, and climate control.

The wing we stayed in was being renovated, so there was some noise in the mornings, and the hallways were ripped up.

There was a hard-wired Internet connection. I could get a weak wifi signal from the lobby while in my room, but that was not by design.

One minor complaint... the LCD TVs were still getting old, standard def, analog signals, and the aspect ratios were wrong... so the TV quality was lousy. I didn't spend much time watching TV, but still... what a waste of new HDTVs.

RESORT:
The resort itself is gorgeous, with a huge circular pool, 5 hot-tubs, a huge coy pond, shops, restaurants, and a beach. The grounds were attractive and well maintained. I did not go to the golf course. The food and drinks at the resort were expensive.

We had to check out at 10am, but our flight was not until 10pm. Fortunately, the resort has a "courtesy room" so we could leave some things in lockers, and then shower before leaving for the airport.

BEACH:
The beach is very calm, so no worries about violent waves or rip-tides. All but new surfers will have to look elsewhere, though. Beach chairs and towels are available at no charge. Two volleyball nets were set up on the beach.

LOCATION:
The resort is just a mile or two from the airport in Lihue. Lihue is geographically central, so it is a good spot for exploring the island by car. Driving north to the end-of-the-road is about an hour. Driving west to the end-of-the-road is also about an hour. There is a nearby self-park, as well as valet.

Lihue is on the east side of the island which tends to get a bit more rain. The south and west sides of the island are typically drier.

STAFF:
The staff were very friendly and helpful.

VALUE:
Because I was staying at this resort cheaply as part of a friend's timeshare, I cannot evaluate the value. Personally, I spent little time at the resort, as I was exploring the island most days. Given the number of things to do in Kauai, a fancy resort may not be the best value if you are mostly just sleeping there. It probably makes the most sense for families who want to spend more time relaxing.

• Liked — Beautifully maintained and conveniently located
  • Disliked — Renovation going on (some noise and hallways ripped up)
  • Stayed December 2008
5 Thank Cincinnatus1
Helena Montana
Reviewed 26 November 2008

We stayed for three nights at the Marriott Kauai Resort & Beach Club in a one bedroom villa on Marriott Reward points. The service for the hotel was actually very good, but we were placed immediately adjacent to renovation construction underway in four separate rooms across the hall. The room smelled of solvent throughout our stay and the noise got so bad that by the last night of our stay we called and asked to be moved. The front desk was very nice about moving us to an oceanfront room and also gave us a $75 credit which we used toward our dinner at Duke's.

The biggest problem I have with our stay is that I do not believe that Marriott should have booked the room we were staying in. It was too close to the construction noise and debris.

The property overall is very tired, even in rooms recently renovated. I would not stay here again.

• Liked — Location on Kauai
  • Disliked — Construction and lack of planning for addressing disruption
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank lancelarue
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 November 2008

We expected an OK property, and great service and rooms, but we got the opposite The grounds are flashy and well-kept. But, our room was completely inadequate. We booked into the Vacation Club and got a tiny room with a bed and a TV. (Their misleading website showed a suite, not the small room we got). No place to sit in the room except on the bed (not that we spent much time in the room, but we did want to spend election day afternoon in the room) . Bathroom was tiny and we felt like only one person fit at a time, and if we closed the door the lights would go out. The toilet did not flush properly, and the TV had scratchy reception. The food in the restaurants was good, at least.

The hotel staff was not friendly or accommodating, either. They were unsympathetic to our complaints. They never fixed the toilet not the TV. We asked to switch rooms, but they said they had nothing. We found that very hard to believe, being experienced travelers, and having worked with hotels to switch rooms on occasion.

We ended up leaving our pre-paid stay early and moving to the Hilton. At least they were friendly and accommodating there! I would be very reluctant to stay at this hotel.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rich_in_Mesa
Danville, CA
Reviewed 12 November 2008

We just got back from a 5 night vacation at the Marriott in Lihue. We had a two bedroom condo. One bedroom had two queen beds, one bedroom had a king bed and the living room had a murphy bed. It had 2 full bathrooms. We are a family of 4 so the size of this room with the four beds more than met our needs. The room is two weeks from being renovated, so yes it was a little dated. But even in the current condition it was very comfortable. The gardens are beautiful and although there is no hiding that this resort is not shiny new, the maturity of it means that the staff is not new either and ALL of the staff was fabulous! They were gracious and generous with local info.

Our favorite things:
Ocean View room that overlooked ocean and pool
Beach hut that offers rental of all kinds of beach stuff, so you don't have to go everywhere.
Beautiful beach with gentle waves perfect for older kids boogie boarding
Amazing surfing instructor that was very patient!
Bottomless coffee/soda cups (the coffee was great and usually ready at 6:45 even though the cafe didn't open until 7:00
Pedicure at the spa that was the best that I have ever had!
Watching the Koi feeding -- actually watching the little ones at the Koi feeding
The perfect temperature of the huge pool and hot tubs.
Water volleyball
Reasonable price through Marriott website for platinum members

It is a great hotel and we would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank ncaldisneyfan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Been to Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club? Share your experiences!