“The good, the bad, the ugly”

Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed 3 April 2009

We stayed here (typing this in the hotel room now) on a promotion for a time share. Our room was a villa (two bedrooms/mini fridge/ dishwasher). Our room over looked the ocean (a rarity I hear). The view outstanding, the service to detail...outstanding. We stopped at Costco and Star Market to pick up breakfast and lunch items. The time share promotion was like being sold a car we really wanted but knew we couldnt buy. They want $24000 for an every other year timeshare. A bit too much. When telling them 'thanks but no thanks' they got pushy. The demo lasts about 90 min (ours took 2.5 hours) Not the smartest salesman, unable to pick up on body language. Overall, great hotel, clueless salesmen.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank nova74x
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club

Reviewed 7 March 2009

We've stayed in the timeshare units here twice, the last time this past February, and both times we really enjoyed our stay. We've always had one of more kids with us so the timeshare units make more sense for us. We did not encounter the same problems as some posters had with rooms that had bug or mold problems. I talked to the front desk before arrival to make sure I requested a renovated room, and that's what we got. Although not what I would call luxurious, the decor was very nice with a very comfortable new bed , and since we were in a timeshare unit, a living room with wall bed, kitchenette and two full bathrooms. This is a very large hotel and the grounds are quite opulent. The view from the terrace of the pool and ocean is just breathtaking.

What we really love about this place is the beach. It is one of the few beaches we have encountered in Hawaii that has a large number of trees for shade and loads of lounge chairs to enable lazy guests like us to just relax on the beach in either shade or sun in complete comfort. A big plus is watching all the activity going on - the local kids playing beach volleyball or surfing when the waves are big enough. The new thing seems to be paddle surfing. Add to that the convenience of Duke's at the hotel and other eateries in walking distance, it makes this a great place to veg out without spending a fortune doing it. This place was half the price of the Hyatt on our last visit so I think a terrific value. Our biggest problem with staying here is that once we get here we don't want to leave, but I guess that's not really a bad thing!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank txsrc
Reviewed 26 February 2009

After reading the 2009 "dirtiest hotels" review I felt compelled to write this review. We stayed at this hotel through a timeshare week purchase off of ebay in 2006. Although this was awhile ago and I should have written the review sooner, I cannot imagine that much has changed. Don't be fooled by the beautiful pictures of this Marriot or the Marriot name itself! It doesn't mean a thing where this hotel is concerned. We were star struck by its beauty when we arrived UNTIL we got to what seemed to be a beautiful room and went to use the washroom. My daughter shreeked when she saw a lovely, huge cockroach floating in the toilet. It just got worse from there. They were not helpful really and laughed it off saying that they come up through the sewer!! Then my daughter slept on the hide-a-bed and woke up the next morning with several bites on her! She was 20 at the time and had travelled a fair bit on her own already often staying in hostels. She said that the couch was definately infected with bed bugs as this had happened to her once before in a hostel. Well the Marriott is no hostel and this just isn't acceptable! When we brought our concern to their attention, they said they were at full capacity and could not move us! I insisted on a new rollaway couch which they claimed they would bring but after several requests never did. The attitude and the service was terrible! After I went to the front desk and further complained they offered me a $50 credit on my account!!! This place costs thousands per week, so I was less than impressed with their generosity! I would never go back! The kids club is a joke, now one is ever there. The food is outrageously priced, as is the parking and internet! If you're thinking of getting married there, please don't do it! There were 2 or 3 wedding on one Saturday and the brides and nicely dressed wedding party were seated outside with all of us at the bar who had kids and were in our swimsuits. Oh and don't leave your food for a second because the birds swoop in a either take it or have a seat on the table and begin dining! the beach is okay but the water is not really nice looking, kind of gray. The beautiful pool is freezing so you really don't want to go in, great if it's hot but it rained pretty much every day there. We have gone back to Maui and will return again this Xmas. While Kauai is beautiful, I have not been back after this expererience. The north part of the island and even Poipu looked really nice, Lihue in all honesty is not where you want to be at all! There were lots of chilcken on the grounds too which is normal in Kauai but everyone there said to be careful and stay far away because they have fleas, I never foudn out! Hard to avoid them though because they are everywhere! Best part of this hotel was when the week was over! This is the first review I have ever written and we love to travel but hate to see another guest ripped off and treated so lousy at this resort! Marriot should be ashamed!

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IguanaGOonVacation
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I read some of the reviews regarding construction and called ahead to address before my arrival and was assured the renovations had been completed. The hotel is about a 5 min drive through a golf course from the airport although you never hear the noise and you get to the resort shortly after you land; very convient on a long trip.

We arrived a few hours before check in, but they took our luggage and gave us a key to a lounge to change up so we spent the afternoon sitting by the pool and walking the manicured grounds. The grounds could pass for a nature preserve with huge Koi pond and waterfall with lots of various local vegetation.

Upon arrival to our room, we found our luggage in a tastefully renovated room with kitchenette, living room and bedroom with a nice view of the bay. The room had two lanais and we had two baths as well. Basically two hotel rooms turned into a 1 bed villa.

The staff kept thanking us for being there and were extremely attentive to us. I felt like a contest winner or something. We attended the sunrise greeting and learned some Hawaiian culture.

The pool is probably the best assett of this hotel. Its the biggest pool in the state of Hawaii and you never feel like its crowded even when it is. The many surrounding hot tubs were awesome too.

We hit the local Big Save super market and stocked up on groceries for the week. We used the kitchenett and on site BBQ's to cook every night. We enjoyed delicous fresh meals by the pool well lit by tiki torches. I think the economic turndown is responsible for the lack of crowds and attentive staff, but I would return here in a heart beat.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank emeraldhouse
Reviewed 20 February 2009

My wife & I stayed in a Vacation Club lock-off unit at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club from 6-13 February 2009. We obtained the unit through Interval International in exchange for our gold season lock-off unit at Marriott’s Grande Vista in Orlando.

Check-in and check-out were as fast as any we have encountered. We discovered on check-out that there was an additional fee—a Hawaii occupancy tax of $4.08 per day for our unit. The staff was universally friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

Many reviews we read before arriving did not distinguish between vacation club units and hotel units. The difference is important, as vacation club units at KBC have been recently renovated and hotel units have not. We encountered none of the mustiness or outdated décor others reported. We also had a great ocean view from our 8th-floor unit in the Kilohana Tower.

Our tour of a 1BR villa revealed that the living room/kitchen unit is nice, but cramped compared to other vacation club villas we have seen. The lock-off unit (the part we stayed in) was essentially a hotel room--up to Marriott standards, but with no balcony, no couch, no easy chair, no microwave, and no facilities for preparing food. There was a small refrigerator and coffeemaker. We did not use the coffeemaker, as KBC’s endlessly refillable mugs served us better. You buy these mugs for $31 at the terrace breakfast bar, and they can be refilled any number of times with coffee, tea, or soda. Be aware, though, that the terrace site closes sometime around 10 am. After that, you must visit the Kalapaki Grill or Kukui’s restaurant for your refills. If you want tea, you will be unable to fill your cup from the time KuKui’s closes at 10:30 am until it opens again at 5:30 pm. Marriott could treat tea drinkers a bit more fairly here.

The grounds are great, the most attractive we have seen anywhere. The beach and area around it is very nice: good sand, but not of the white coral variety found in the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera. There are waves, but not large ones, as Kalapaki harbor is partially sheltered by breakwaters. The water is 10 degrees F or so cooler than Caribbean and Mexican Riviera standards.

The pool is larger than at most resorts and not crowded. Marriott issues cards that you exchange at the pool for 2 beach towels. You get your card back when you return your towels.

We never had a problem finding a lounge chair, either at the pool or at the beach. There was none of the saving with towels annoyance seen at other resorts. There are also beach cabanas you can rent.

Although the resort is close to the airport, very little aircraft noise penetrated to our room. Nor did we have any noise overflow from adjoining rooms.

High-speed Internet access was free for us, perhaps because we are Marriott owners or because we obtained our unit as an II exchange. Our connection…via an Ethernet cable in our room…was initially sprightly, but got progressively slower as the week wore on, finally dying on Thursday. It then restarted, but slowed to a crawl again. A fellow on the elevator told me he had no Internet in his room, though it had been available in the room he occupied the previous week. He also said he was charged for using the Wi-Fi on the level-3 terrace. We were able to use that Wi-Fi for free.

Self-parking was free for us as II exchangers/Marriott owners. $11/day seems to be the going rate for hotel guests. The self-parking lot is closer than some TripAdvisor reviews led us to believe.

We received one midweek maid service (no charge). Wastebaskets were emptied from time to time, but not daily. Cleaning arrangements for hotel guests may be different.
The exercise room seemed nice, though we did not use it.

There is a 1-hour owner’s briefing at 9 am on Wednesdays that explains how Marriott owners can increase the value of their ownership. This is helpful information for new owners and people who have not been active vacation club traders.

There is a small ABC store within easy walking distance where you can purchase wine, beer, liquor, and sundries. Just walk past Duke’s Barefoot Bar, cross the footbridge, proceed straight ahead and pass through the walkway in the small shopping complex, then bear left as you exit the walkway.

We took an air tour of the island, but in a Cessna 172, not a helicopter. The price was $120 per person, about half the cost of a helicopter tour. We recommend the Cessna. The operators are Bruce and Ellen Coulombe, and their outfit is called Wings over Kauai. Bruce (a PhD agronomist with substantial flying experience) is the pilot, and he provides a very smooth, professional, and well-narrated trip. You can find more details and make reservations at their web page: http://www.wingsoverkauai.com/kauai-air-tours.html

Breakfast: Many reviewers have raved about breakfast at the Kalapaki Beach Hut, We tried it, but found it disappointing. Perhaps the reviewers lacked the wheels needed to get to Dani’s or the Tip-Top Café, both of which are significantly nicer and with better food at about the same price. If you are a fruit and yogurt fan, though, you won’t find this at local breakfast spots. Your best bet is the hotel’s breakfast restaurant (Kukui’s) located at the south/west side of the pool. The breakfasts there are good, but a bit pricey.

The other resort restaurants (Duke’s and Portofino’s) are not operated by Marriott, though they do let you charge to your room. We found Duke’s to be very good (fish) and not excessively pricey. We did not try Portofino’s.

Hamura’s (a local food spot) is definitely worth a stop. Just don’t expect anything fancy. Their “special saimin” is a Kauai experience, and their lilikoi chiffon pie is not to be missed. We liked the pie so much that we picked up a whole one two nights later for consumption in our room. We also had a very nice light lunch at the Koloa Fish Market. The favorable reviews earned by this spot are accurate.

Our best meal of all was the 6-course wine and food tasting menu at Hukilau Lanai at the Kauai Coast Resort, 4-484 Kuhio Hwy, Kapaa (on the right when headed north, just behind the north end of the Coconut Marketplace). They serve their tasting menu between 5 and 6 pm, so get there early. Price: $40 with wine, $28 without. We recommend the wine option, as the selections were nicely paired with the dishes on the menu. We liked the food so much we went back two nights later. If you decide to give Hukilau Lanai a try, don’t miss their sweet potato ravioli appetizer. The fish dishes are also excellent…probably the best we have had anywhere. For menus and reservations, see: http://www.hukilaukauai.com/menu-tasting.php and http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60616-d491682-Reviews-Hukilau_Lanai-Kapaa_Kauai_Hawaii.html

If you have an evening flight when departing Kauai, you may find the owners lounge at Marriott to be a good spot to relax, read, and watch TV while waiting to catch the shuttle to the airport. We did not. When we went there, the room was occupied by two gentlemen (?) who had the TV volume set to maximum. We (and others) had to leave if we wanted to retain our sanity. When Marriott says the activities in this room are “unsupervised,” they mean it! Perhaps they should re-examine that policy.

There are hospitality rooms adjacent to the owners lounge where you can clean up and change clothes before departure. There are chairs, couch, lockers (free), towels, soap, and a shower. Just ask at the front desk for a key.

We rented are car from Hotwire for $180 for the week (useful for getting around the island and for touring Waimea Canyon—a nice final day activity after checking out). We returned the car that afternoon, returned to KBC via the Marriott shuttle, lounged around the pool, and then took the shuttle back to the airport that evening to catch our 9:30 flight. This effectively gave us an extra day at KBC.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Ezra56
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I used my time share exchange for a week here.

The good:
On the beach and rooms had a beach view
Easy access to other parts of Kauai
Friendly service
12:00 late check out

Bad
Limited kitchen for a Timeshare
Exercise equipment needs to be updated
Even though a time share, you are charged an ocupancy tax.

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank Kirin11
Reviewed 21 January 2009

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Marriott Kauai Beach club. Overall the hotel is above average. The view we had from our room was outstanding! The staff was very friendly and the service very good. I booked the trip on Marriott's website. I researched the hotel and deals on other travel websites. I prefer to book on the hotel website in case of cancellation, I can get my money back. I'm frequent traveler and I'm gold in the Marriott rewards program. BE CAREFUL of the "WALL BED" reservation! Also, when I asked to move they wanted to charge me $250 fee in addition to higher room costs! The pictures on Marriott's website make you believe that you're getting a living room area AND a bedroom. Silly me, we didn't know that WALL BED means...a mattress that comes out of the wall. I've traveled throughout the world and never had a "WALL BED" before. A THIN CHEAP mattress and you have to MOVE FURNITURE to sleep! We had to pile up the furniture which I'm sure is a fire hazard when the bed is down. The hotel is gorgeous..just don't reserve a "WALL BED" if you want to sleep!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank SeattleTravelone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Been to Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club? Share your experiences!