“Fabulous located hotel.”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Fabulous located hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Very good hotel in an excellent location right on the coast. Hotel provides a courtesy shuttle taxi/minibus to & from the airport – about 20 minutes journey time – which you arrange by calling the hotel when you have collected your luggage after your arrival flight. We had a Lagoon View Room with a balcony which was very nice with very good facilities. Free Wi-Fi available in the room. Very nice area for breakfast / meals, food was excellent & very reasonably priced. Bar & shop within the hotel at very reasonable prices also & you can book any trips that you want to go on also at the tourist centre in the hotel. Lovely grounds with plenty of colour. Rough dramatic sea & a nice coastal walk along the grass bank in either direction or you can even have a nice walk along the beach as long as you ensure the tide is out. DO NOT even attempt to even paddle or worse swim – see photo – you’ll have your legs & or feet cut to ribbons. Excellent swimming pools & features with a nice beach bar & ample sun loungers & umbrellas. A nice quiet area which we thoroughly enjoyed, a more lively area is only a short 15 minute drive / taxi ride away. Basically I doubt you’ll go wrong staying here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank J0seyWhales
GeneralManager808, Director of Sales at Kauai Beach Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are happy that you enjoyed the location and pool at our resort. We do hope you will return in the near future and in the meantime, we wish you much aloha.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Attard, Malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The helpdesk are not helpful at all. They have a very rough, arrogant and have an unfriendly attitude. First they gave us a room with a big airconditioning system just outside of our window making noise continously. We had paid for a mountain view and the view of this room was only the dirty ugly noisy car park. We went down to the helpdesk to complain and they had the arrogant face to tell us that with the money we paid that was the best room they could give us. Then they decided to change our room. They gave us a room just over the lobby area with noise going on all the time. Noise when new customers come. Noise when big buses come and leave the buses with engine on for a long time filling our room with exhaust fumes.
Also just nearby the hotel there seems to be a moto cross or atv area were people go and drive and everyday for many hours there is this continous noise from this area coming to the hotel.
Whilst at the stay I noticed that my Visa was showing $1500 less. I thought I had made a mistake so I put more money into it. We came to check out on the 14th July and for some reason the visa was being declined. The front desk became very angry at us. Almost shouting she told me 'SIR, YOUR CARD KEEPS GETTING DECLINED'. She almost has saliva coming out of her mouth she was so angry. Anyways we gave her another card which worked. As soon as the second card worked this front desk staff immediately changed her attitude and with a very fake smile and way of saying she told us 'Thanks so much for your stay. Do come again soon'. This was so fake since a few seconds before she was so angry at us for the card to be declined that she could have killed us. We are now back in Malta and I am checking my Visa and I found that I am $1500 down in it. I called my bank and they informed that even though Kauai Beach Resort got paid in full during out check out they still have $1500 blocked and that the release date for this money is 4th August. This is totally and completely unacceptable. They should unblock the money of clients as soon as the full payment is done.
Also we only paid for one morning breakfast since it cost $40 to have breakfast for two people. We went down to have breakfast and they told us that the room is full and that we have to wait to have breakfast. We had to wait for over 30 minutes before they called us in. When we finally went in the food was so tasteless. All the food in the breakfast tasted the same.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Claudien S
Thank you for your comments, Mr. Claudien S
We always appreciate and welcome constructive input that may help us address areas where we can improve and we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations.
We can confirm that you were indeed assigned the room category you booked. Our records show that you were reassigned an alternate room to accommodate your bedding request and also to address your concern of overlooking the parking lot. We were not made aware that the activity in the resort's entry was disturbing you. While this room also met your category requirements our records show that we were at maximum capacity and had no other room to offer an upgrade for you, other than the original room you were assigned.
Wailua Motorcross track is located approximately 1 mile away from our resort. They have only a few events scheduled throughout the entire year as this activity brings many visitors to the island. Unfortunately, there is little the resort can do to control the noise the few days these events are scheduled and they are only during daylight hours.
Our restaurant is open for four (4) hours, from 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. In addition to being peak season, you were aware we were hosting a fairly large group, of which you were a part and guests experienced a wait time during peak breakfast hours. We’re sorry to hear that our full-American breakfast buffet with fresh tropical fruit and a cook-to-order omelet station was not to your liking.
We have also confirmed that upon check out, the funds that were held by the resort from your debit card were released by the property and processed that evening. There may be a delay in posting the funds back to your account, depending on your financial establishment’s process.
Finally, it is our desire to achieve satisfaction on all levels. Rest assured, we have taken steps to provide training and hold accountable those individuals responsible for assisting with guest satisfaction.
Thanks for your input and allowing us to respond to each area of concern.
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

So this may not be the nicest hotel but it is nice. It's also a great deal, plus the location is great if you plan on exploring the island. The pool area is awesome and has two hot tubs for relaxing after kayaking or hiking nearby.
We have stayed here both times we've come to kauai. We live on Oahu and have been able to find good deals for last minute trips.
I would recommend skipping the breakfast and heading down the road to passion cafe. :)

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Caitlin M
GeneralManager808, Director of Sales at Kauai Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would be happy to share your comments with our entire team and we shall look forward to welcoming you again soon! May the warmth of Kauai's aloha stay with you until your return.
hilo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Overall, it was a good hotel. This hotel is easy to find and near the airport. We checked in late, the front desk person said that our double beds were changed to a King size bed, it wasn't a big deal for us and we got our parking fee waived. When we got to our room the shower didn't work and we had to call maintenance which took about 30 minutes. I tried to do the express checkout, but no one answered the phone, so I checked out at the counter, the front desk said we made a local call which was 99cents, we only called the shop in the hotel, that seems ridiculous, but we were able to waive that fee. Other than those issues, we enjoyed our stay. The room was better than expected. We really loved the pool and the hot tubs. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kcitygirl
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. A property like ours tends to enjoy very high occupancy during the peak travel periods and for this reason, we typically do not guarantee requested bed types. However, we are pleased that we were able to address your concerns promptly and satisfactorily. In our continuous endeavor to enhance guest experience, I would be happy to share your comments with our entire team and we shall look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were totally impressed by it when we 1st arrived, the tree lined driveway, beautiful grounds, good room, nice pools. However, after we realized the beach was not suitable for swimming were a little disappointed and then after we visited the Marriott at Poipu beach, the Sheraton and the Grand Hyatt we definitely realized that there are much better options. However, it was a great deal and it is only 5 min from the airport and if you are flying in late at night the last thing you want to do is drive on poorly lit roads. It was very centrally located and very convenient for going both south and north to explore the island. No matter where you stay on the island you will probably want to see other beaches, so not having one here was not a really big deal but it would have made it a 5 star.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LenaG1969
Thank you for your comments.

We agree that our location is convenient and it is true that most visitors to Kauai enjoy exploring the entire island, including several beaches throughout.

As we are a 3.5 Diamond rated property, we do offer an affordable option for a full service beachfront resort, including four swimming pools, three restaurants, a sundry shop, beauty parlor and spa. We hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again.
Marina del Rey, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I landed at the Lihue airport and picked up my rental car from Hertz. The hotel was just about 10 mins. drive from the airport (all you had to do was make 2 turns on highway 56, Kuhio Highway) and you were right at the hotel! The hotel has a few large paved and covered parking lots where you can self park for $16.95/per day or you can valet for the same price per day, but just give a few dollars to tip the valet. I self parked for my entire 5 nights/6 days at Kauai Beach Resort since it was so easy.

At check in, the girl who checked me in was very cordial, nice, and super efficient. I couldn't clearly view her name tag as her long, wavy, brown hair covered it, otherwise I would write a great review on her. I checked into room 2319, in building 2. It was a mountain view room so you can see the green mountains and the palm trees, but you also were right over the roof of the Naupaka Restaurant so you also could see the white roof. The room was pretty basic with a small fridge, small safe, coffee maker, small flat screen tv, king bed, shower with tub and a large dresser. The room was very clean and it didn't smell like mildew at all (like some other reviewers might have mentioned). I cranked down the AC to 69F as I like my room very cold since it was hotter than an oven outside. The room was close to the main elevators so I would suggest bringing earplugs as there were several times I could hear kids screaming and running up and down the hallways in the mornings!!! The maids were always very nice and would ask me if I needed extra towels or anything else.

You do NOT need to bring your hotel room towels to the pool. The hotel allocates 4 very large green striped pool towels to you per room and you have to sign in for those. You can get 4 clean pool towels daily so just don't loose them!

KBR had many salt watered pools for adults and kids. The grounds were super clean and very well manicured. You couldn't actually swim on the beach due to sharp rocks off the reefs and perhaps strong under currents, but about 2-3 miles drive north is Lydgate Beach Park where the swimming for adults/kids is awesome and very safe. Plus, the views make great pictures.

I will do another review for the hotels' restaurants and food. But, I had a daily buffet breakfast included in my package and I was up at 630-7am every day to eat as I had days packed full of excursions like snorkeling, ziplining, land tours, etc. The AM breakfast consisted of an American breakfast of scrambled eggs, tater tots, hash browns, sausages, ham, biscuits with gravy, an omelet station, fruits, cereal, bagels. My only gripe with the breakfast was that since gratuity was included in the buffet package, all I had to do was sign in with my room number. As tip was included in my package, ALL the morning servers were rather lazy and didn't tend to me with refills on coffee, extra napkins, etc. They just took my voucher ticket, gave me a cup of coffee and basically deserted me!! Not happy about the crappy level of service in the mornings. Do NOT get a breakfast included in your package otherwise it's really NO service at all!! The servers didn't really had to work for their tip since it was included in my package, so that made me very upset. I had to fend for myself in the mornings.

However, overall the hotel was a good affordable place to stay at while in Kauai. Very central location to the airport, good shopping, etc. In fact, it only took us about 30-40 mins. to drive to the north side of the island to visit Hanalei Bay, past Princeville. Super easy to drive around the entire island as there is only 1 main highway (Kuhio 56 highway). Only 10% of the island is driveable, the rest you will have to see via a helicopter or by water. I get lost in a paper bag, so navigating around this island was SUPER EASY!!! I loved the friendliness of all the locals. The valet staff were also super awesome to ask for directions. Those guys are awesome!!! I would highly recommend a car when you visit this island. :)

I would definitely come back to KBR. Good service, except by the restaurant staff. Rooms were very basic/clean. Good family place for your family, but please control your children. Don't have them running around like wild banshees for those of us who are on vacation and need some rest! I would definitely visit again for sure! BTW, this isn't a super ritzy resort so don't be expecting some Olympic sized swimming pool or for the roof to be dangling with golden chandeliers...this is a very "homey" resort and it felt like staying with a good friend. Thank you my new friends at KBR. I will be back!

Room Tip: Get a room in building 4, closest to the beach. Higher rooms garner better ocean views. Mountain vie...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Jennifer S
GeneralManager808, Director of Sales at Kauai Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Aloha and thank you so much for your detailed review. We appreciate that you found our property to be a good value for the price and that our location was convenient for your needs. We look forward to your return and in the meantime, we wish you much aloha.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a great experience at this hotel and really loved the staff. They were so friendly and it is a great location to see the island from. It didn't take long to commute to the north and south shore from this location. The pools and hot tubs were great. Food was good. The beach is nice to walk along or catch a sunrise from but for swimming it is not advisable. And my girlfriend loved her two massages she got from the spa while we were there. We hated the additional parking rate but overall this place was really nice and we will likely be back soon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JLW92071
Aloha and thank you very much for your comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the Kauai Beach Resort. We are constantly striving to find ways to improve and feedback from our guests is very important to us. We look forward to your return to Kauai and invite you to stay with us once again. Aloha!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kauai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!