“Fresh Sushi, Funny Chef”
Review of Masas Sushi

Masas Sushi
Ranked #50 of 120 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Sushi
Description: This is as local as you get. Not many sushi places in Kauai so people might love to know about this tiny hole in the wall. Excellent and inexpensive and fresh.
Santa Barbara, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh Sushi, Funny Chef”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Really funny sushi chef. Great sushi spot and BYOB. Nothing fancy but very fresh fish. We ordered the Sunset roll, Scallops, Hamachi (so good), and Toro. Each one was great. The staff were extremely friendly and the price was right. About $8-11 for the specialty rolls. Without a doubt I would return for dinner.

• Visited May 2014

Denver, Colorado
“You've got to be kidding me, right?”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We had a few hours to kill in Lihue before we flew out, so we looked around a bit for a bite to eat and found Masas sushi on Rice Street next to the Kauai Beer Co.

I always love finding an out of the way, hole in the wall that serves up grade - A fare wherever I go, so I was a bit giddy when I stepped inside. This place had all the makings - off the beaten path, small, spartan, and an older, japanese chef that spoke only broken english. I had visions in my head of finding Kauai's very own version of Jiro.

Boy was I wrong.

I ordered a Negihama and another roll (sunrise or sunshine I believe) and my wife got two different vegetarian rolls the names of which I'd surely remember if only I could bring myself to care enough about anything that didn't contain meat. I'm working on it...

We were the only one's in the place (which should have tipped me off that something wasn't right) so it wasn't long before the chef was passing our rolls over the bar.

The first impression wasn't good. Visually, the sushi looked like hell, all 4 rolls were loosely rolled, the rice bed was all uneven, and the rolls were all cut to different thicknesses. Eye candy this was not.

Now, I can forgive poor appearance if the fish is fresh and expertly sliced, the rice is prepared and seasoned properly, and the other ingredients are fresh and tasty. Two bites in and this was none of that. The hamachi had to be a few days if not a week past it's expiration date. It was totally lacking any firmness and had become a mushy, slimy, abortion of a fish. Same goes for the salmon - mushy, slimy, smelly, and a bit warm to boot. The rice was probably Uncle Bens. The vegetables were in the veggie rolls were wilted, the avacado was mushy, brown, and bordering on rotten.

If I hadn't been starving, and if it hadn't been after 5pm in Lihue on a Saturday I might have walked out. As it was I ate a few pieces of each roll and left a few on the plate in hopes of getting out of there in time to find something else to eat. Again, no such luck. I handed over my card to pay up and leave, and the waitress said something about having to go next door to run it (it is Kauai, after all), only to return after close to 20 minutes. I grabbed the card and took off pissed.

Luckily I found an excellent Pad Thai at the food trailer in the Ace hardware parking lot down the street. Between the good spicy Thai, the two tall boys I washed it down with, and my cast iron stomach I was able to survive the Masa experience, but as it was I sat through the six hour flight home with a mild case of the bubblies, accompanied by a single round of the butt spits. Always a good time when traveling with two hundred of your closest friends on an aircraft with two heads for the cattle class cabin.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Scott W
Boca Raton, Florida
“Excellent, local, authentic, GOT to try it!”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We walked in by chance. Turned out to be a great decision. The establishment is small with a Japanese couple running it. They are always smiling, always polite, and just so enthusiastic. I have a feeling he (the sushi chef) was a sushi chef back in japan.

The food was excellent. Some of the best sushi I have ever had. The price is very reasonable. The portions are on the medium side. The menu has the perfect amount of choices. I had 2 rolls and both were excellent. They take credit cards. The establishment is small yet very cozy. It is not overly decorated and not under. It's a great setting.

The only change I would make is have the drinks known, and maybe serve beer even if it is only 1-2 types.

This places is awesome! Very local.

• Visited February 2014
“Great sushi, great service”
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have visited this restaurant twice this week on our visit to Kauai. We've made it a point to eat sushi for at least one meal each day, throughout the island. This has been our favorite so far. The restaurant is unpretentious with great service and fresh sushi and the rolls are very reasonably priced. No liquor lose nice but you can get beer from the brewery net door.

• Visited January 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“Great value”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

From the outside this place looks average and perhaps the inside is also a little average but the value for money is anything but average. This place was busy with what seemed like a lot of locals and regulars(always a good sign). The lady that took our order was helpful and attentive. The food was delicious and incredibly well priced. It can be tricky to fin\d if you aren't a local but worth the effort.

• Visited October 2013