“Great Kauai Fishing Trip!”

Lahela Sportfishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Join the Captain and Crew of the Lahela for an exciting, action packed day of fishing. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced angler, you will feel like part of our Sportfishing Team from the very beginning. Prior to leaving the dock, the Captain and Crew will go over your expectations for the day and an explanation of the techniques that we will be using. The Lahela is the only Coast Guard Certified Sport fishing game boat on Kaua’i that can legally carry more than 6 passengers up to 14 passengers.
Exton, Pennsylvania
“Great Kauai Fishing Trip!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Got in touch with Captain Scott and was able to book a 6 hour charter for my sisters and brother-in-law. Both Scott and his deckhand, Bobby, were very professional and helpful with getting us organized. Began the morning trawling out south and once Bobby dropped a squid lure in the water, it wasn't long until a fish hammered the lure. The fish ended up being a 247 lb. yellowfin tuna that took about 35 mins to get on the boat. What a start to the trip! From there, Captain Scott hunted around for more fish and we were eventually able to bring in a feisty skipjack tuna and a 28 lb. wahoo.

Overall, a very fun trip and a charter that I would definitely recommend to anyone else looking to go fishing in Kauai!

- Brian, Pennsylvania

Visited June 2014.

“Great Fishing in Kauai”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I've been fishing with Scott Akana on the Lahela Sportfishing boat in Kauai for over 6 years now. My wife and I visit Kauai twice a year for about 4 weeks at a time. Ever since I hooked up with Scott, I've been re-scheduling fishing trips with him and his crew for several reasons. The 34 foot boat is always in great condition. He has the best gear, Big Shimino reels, always ready to go for any kind of fish big or small. His boat is Coast Guard Certified and he has all the required safety gear needed to take on the sometimes rough sea conditions you can encounter in Kauai. That's real comforting knowing that captain and crew are properly prepared for the open ocean.

We also have had great success catching a nice variety fish. On our last trip in May, we hooked up and landed a 400 plus lb Pacific Blue Marlin that took about 45 minutes to land. Wow, what a fish. We also caught a nice 25 lb Mahi Mahi and a 30 lb Ono. Great day on the water.

Last June while fishing about 4 miles off shore we caught my personal best 210 lb Yellow Fin Tuna that took about 35 minutes to land. To top it off on that day we also caught a 155 lb YFT and a 28 lb Ono. Awesome stuff.

Over the years I've been very pleased with the Sport Fishing on the Lahela. You can always count on Scott giving you your best chance to catch quality fish as his experience in Kauai is second to none.

I've had my Son and Grandson out fishing with us and we landed a nice 90 lb YFT plus some Mahi's. All good. I remember a couple of years ago, we caught another Blue Marlin at about 300 lbs. Another quality fish.

The thing about Scott and crew is they take real good care of the catch. Always bleeding out the fish and putting them on ice right away. When back at the doc we always get some nice fillets for the BBQ or grill.

In short, if you want a safe trip with good gear and your best chance to catch quality fish check out Scott Akana with Lahela Sport Fishing in Kauai. You won't be disappointed.

John Licata
Corona, Ca
951 310-7953

Visited May 2014
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Choose another charter company.”
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We went on the 6 hour fishing tour starting at 10:30 AM. The best part was getting in the boat. It went down hill from there. 6 straight hours of trolling with the same lures. No changing, no explanation of why we weren't catching fish, no nothing really. Not even a "hey how's it going down there!?" First mate and captain sat on the captains deck for most of the six hours just taking a cruise.

I understand this is fishing and you aren't guaranteed fish, but bottom line, is we pay to get bites and at least reel. We got nothing, absolutely nothing in six hours of fishing. We paid $1200 for a ride on a boat for 6 hours. Bring your own water, bring your own cokes, bring your own snacks, and bring somebody to talk to because the crew won't talk unless you ask a question.

Just be safe and go with a different charter. I gave a two star because Scott did say "Thanks Guys" when we were done.

2 Thank Kevin P
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worst 6 hours of the vacation!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

No fish, no interaction from the crew, they just sat in the captains deck and napped, never tried a different fishing strategy. Wish I could rate this experience a 0. Any other charter would be better.

4 Thank Kpayne14
Nevada, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dream come true...”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The one thing I wanted to do when we came to Hawaii was catch a shark. My wife and I went shark fishing in Oahu and never even had a bite. I spoke with Captain Scott, when we got to Kauai, about a fishing trip. I told him about my lack of luck in Oahu. He told me that if I were to come out with them, we would fish as normal for most of the trip and if we had time we might try to get me a shark. The boat as a whole had a great day with a total net of 15 fish... until Captain Scott and Bob decided it was time for me to try and fulfill my life long dream. They set me up perfectly... it didn't take long for me to be reeling in MY SHARK... It was a dream come true to see that beautiful 5 foot grey reef shark come to the surface... I couldn't have done it with out this amazing crew with their knowledge and experience backing them... Thank you guys so very much for helping my dream come true...

Visited April 2014