“Great hole in the wall place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 116 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Happy Valley, Oregon
“Great hole in the wall place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just off Rice street in a tiny old strip mall. Small with limited seating. We were the only non-locals here which I thought was a good thing. We ordered the fried saimen and kalua pig. Both were excellent. Service was very friendly, would return again.

• Visited February 2014

Dallas, Texas
“Great local find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We decided to find some place local our first night on the island and we were so glad we found Smiley's. The location leaves much to the imagination, tucked away in a non de-script mini mall. The interior is very bare bones with only a handful of tables but the service was excellent. The man who took our order was very helpful as we did not know what some of the menu items were and he made some recommendations. The food was delicious and you could tell it was made to order. There were two different portions sizes for the dish I ordered( Loco Moco, which I later found out was the local hangover cure) and I should have gone with the smaller one because they give you alot of food and you can't beat the price.

• Visited August 2013
Earth
“We wouldn't come again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

A small place with 6 tables. The place looks poor, no design, characterless.
Service was courteous, fast and friendly.
Food was not more than okay.
It's a pity that they do not mention on their menu what each item contains. Because I didn't know that the combo comes with side dish (Rice) I ordered Sauteed Mushrooms, which were unnecessary.
I didn't like the fact that their restroom is not in the restaurant, it's common to all businesses there and I felt unsafe walking to restroom in an industrial area.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Veneta, Oregon
“Great loco moco”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

This was a nice little place just off of Rice St. The server was very friendly and was willing to share some experiences she had with different activities on the island. I had the loco moco with two patties and two eggs, rice and some nice gravy. Price was good for being in Hawaii. I really enjoyed my meal! A very nice experience and will plan on coming back next trip.

• Visited April 2013