“Don't be fooled by the offbeat location”

Hamura Saimin Stand
Ranked #6 of 121 Restaurants in Lihue
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is a jewel in Lihue. It is basically a Saimen diner. The menu is limited yet the food delicious. We ordered the basic Saimen, which is Saimen noodles in broth, chopped ham, green onions and fish cake. For two is was $11.00. The special Saimen includes pork dumplings, hard boiled egg, and more vegetables at $7.00 each. We did not try the BBQ sticks but they were certainly being consumed in mass by the locals. Hamura is off the beaten path, but my GPS took me to the front door. Not fancy but amazing value and delicious. There will be a line but the short wait is worth it. If you prefer not to wait, they do take out.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

My boyfriend & went here because of the great reviews. He ordered the Won Ton Saiman & the barbecued beef stick. He said the beef stick was ok, but not worth $2.75. The Saimin he equated to a watered down version of the real ramen you can get in Japan or NY, etc... & said that the broth tasted like so so chicken soup & the wontons, pork & ham were nothing special. I am a vegetarian & asked for mine with no meat. When it came out I asked again about the stock & she said it was chicken. I mentioned again that I am a vegetarian & wanted just plain noodles. She came back to our table with the same noodles just with less broth. I was quite upset that they would be that disrespectful of my dietary restrictions. I would have been fine if they had just said we can't make plain noodles rather than trying to appease me by tricking me with the same bowl of noodles. Of course I could not eat the noodles & she commented that I didn't touch them, but didn't have the courtesy to take them off of the bill. In short, the quality of the food just doesn't justify some of the good reviews this place gets.....

1  Thank Pink444
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I went to Hawaii in Sept. 2003 and was given a tip to visit Hamura's for some authentic local noodle bowl and passion fruit pie. It was a funky local spot. Counter service. I was able to watch to cook ladle up bowls of steaming broth and noodles with pork, chicken, fish etc. I'll never forget it. I have a car service and had a passenger from Kuaiai who reminded me of the name of the place. Check it out.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

It's nice to be in a place with locals - kind of a dive. The soup was good - but like other places -to look like the pictures in the book, etc. you need to put in a lot of add-ins that raise the price. So at home you may balk at paying $9 for a bowl of noodles sitting at a counter in a place with "old world charm" - ie.it could use a coat of paint and some freshening up but then it would be the same restaurant. Here it's what you do. The likiloni (sp?) pie was nice -very light and tasty.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Maybe you have to be totally into authentic Japanese noodles? We went in for dinner on a week night. Ordered the Saimin Wonton Soup... cuts of pork were gross and of poor quality.

1  Thank Mavipixy