“Great reputation, but only average food”
Review of Cafe Portofino

Cafe Portofino
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Portofino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 125 Restaurants in Lihue
Price range: US$12 - US$100
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marriott Way
Description: True Italian fare, but also specializing in Seafood and Steaks! Cafe Portofino overlooking the Pacific Ocean near the Marriott hotel has been called "A honeymoon destination' by Martha Stewart, and 'one of the top 10!' by Gourmet Magazine. Please come and enjoy the gentle tradewinds and enjoy a classic dining experience.
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Our visit to Cafe Portofino was prompted by a recommendation form a member of our club at home, who told us "the eggplant parmesan is the best I've ever had." Unfortunately, we found it to be less than stellar. The restaurant itself is well-kept, and the servers are extremely friendly. But, for the price, there is better Italian food available at several other locations on Kauai.

2  Thank Dave F

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I dined at Cafe Portofino with my wife on our honeymoon for dinner. It came with a recommendation as a decent Italian place on the island.

It's located overlooking the beach at the Kauai Marriott. The outside portion is fully covered, which is nice for the occasional rain that may pass through.

If you're not staying at the hotel, it's a little bit of a hike from the parking lot and front entrance of the hotel, so just be aware of that in advance.

We were greeted quickly and shown to a nice seat right overlooking the beach area. They accept reservations via OpenTable - it happened to be very quiet when we dined there, but always good to put in a reservation, as you never know.

The menu has a very wide variety, and everything is said to be cooked to order, with a fresh fish selection each day. I had chicken piccata, and my wife had pasta alfredo. Both of us felt that our meals were OK - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't a stand-out meal either. Reasonably priced. Service was also just OK - she was very nice, but service slowed down dramatically as soon as she got a second table - may have just been new.

All in all, it was OK - not bad at all, but doesn't stand out. If I had been staying at the hotel, likely worth a meal to venture down for. But being that I came down from elsewhere on the island, I wouldn't say it was worth the trip.

2  Thank Michael L
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We thought our meals were pretty average but at a high price. Additionally, we had to ask another server for attention twice since we hadn't seen our own for awhile and it wasn't even a busy night. Overall, I was disappointed. We did enjoy listening to the harp.

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

This place is fantastic! Great food, wonderful view of kalapaki beach and our server Diane was awesome! We will definitely be back soon!

1  Thank kauaichelly
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Waitress tried to split our bill and ended up charging us twice. When I called to resolve, they were very unhelpful. I'm having to resolve through my credit company. Do not recommend this establishment.

2  Thank Carol S