“Doors Off is the Only Way to Fly!”

Jack Harter Helicopters - Tours
Ranked #5 of 35 Tours in Lihue
More attraction details
Owner description: Jack Harter is the Originator of Helicopter Tours on Kauai. Coming to Kauai in 1962, Jack began offering helicopter tours and charter flights with a focus on safety and quality. Jack's dedication to these important qualities is carried on by the company's hand-picked pilots and ground crew staff that are dedicated to continuing Jack's founding principles. The company offers scenic tours in two types of helicopters: Jack Harter Helicopters' luxurious 6-passenger Eurocopter AStar helicopter features huge floor-to-ceiling windows, BOSE noise-cancelling headsets, air-conditioning, and a cabin layout that has no physical obstructions to viewing the scenery outside. For the more adventurous, their 4-passenger Hughes 500s are flown with the doors removed. There is no luxury in the Hughes 500, but the doors-off flight is very cool! (Double meaning intended!) We ask you to be aware that there are WEIGHT LIMITATIONS for all helicopter tours. The 2 front passenger seats in BOTH helicopter types have more restrictive weight limits, so the SMALLEST PASSENGERS ON ANY GIVEN TOUR ARE USUALLY SEATED IN THE FRONT SEATS. Please look at the company's website to view the aircraft seating diagrams. The company's 60 and 90-minute tours feature Kauai's beautiful Na Pali Coast, the spectacular Waimea Canyon, numerous waterfall-filled valleys including the Hanalei Valley, and Mt. Waialeale, one of the wettest places on earth.
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I had done this trip before about 10 years ago in a regular helicopter. With the doors off, it was exceptional photography. Our pictures turned out exceptional! The pilot did a good job narrating the flight, and it was an easy flight with no turbulence. We lucked out on the weather at Wai' Ale' Ale as there were no clouds when we got to to top. The view was spectacular.

1  Thank WhitehorseRichard
Write a ReviewReviews (1,784)

Reviewed 14 February 2012

It's worth the extra money. It was excellent. Our pilot was just amazing. smooth ride and SOOOO informative. It made this so much fun. Door off just make you feel out there, no glass to ruin pictures. you feel very save. but it does get cold up there, so bring a jacket or sweatshirt. Wear closed toes shoes because they will make you take them off if they are not strapped in. This was the BEST thing I did while on Kauai. The views are amazing!!!!!!!

1  Thank TravelCrazyNY
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I did the doors-off tour and it was absolutely wonderful. Our pilot, Chris, had thousands of hours of flying experience and so we felt very secure and safe with him. His knowledge of the island was impressive and made the flight even more interesting. We saw so much of the island and it was incredible how close we came to some of the canyon walls and how close we got to Mt. Wai'ale'ale. This is a "must" adventure for anyone going to Kauai. Michael, who gave us directions/information on safety and procedures for the flight was so helpful. I would suggest wearing a warm sweater or jacket - it did get quite cold when we reached the higher altitudes, especially with all the wind.

2  Thank Maryann H
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I was nervous beforehand having never flown in a helicopter before and skeptical that it could be worth the cost, but it really was the highlight of our trip to Kauai. Breathtaking views! Our pilot gave us a great tour- giving us enough information while also letting us absorb the experience for ourselves. We were in good hands with Jack Harter and we were left to enjoy the scenery and the awe inspiring natural world of the island. Can't recommend this enough! This is an experience you will enjoy remembering for years to come! And yes it is worth EVERY penny and after we landed all I wanted was to go up again!

1  Thank Dazbe
Reviewed 10 February 2012

While this was a highlight of my time in Kauai I actually enjoyed the photo tour with Kauai Photo tours) a bit more. In February wear long pants, a long shirt and jacket (I wore all that and was still chilly.) If you can, sit on the right side of the chopper (passenger side, front or back) or hand the camera to your partner because the right side seemed to have most of the scenery. The pilot will turn to give the left side some views but the right side got the most. I have short sholder length hair and wish I had pulled it back AND pinned the front back because it kept whipping in my eyes and stinging them and obscurred my view. Also I get motion sick and took a dramamine before the flight and didn't need it. Very smooth, few turns and we went about 35 miles an hour most of the hour. Good naration by pilot Jason. Not scary.