“Best money spent on the island”

Jack Harter Helicopters - Tours
Ranked #6 of 35 Tours in Lihue
More attraction details
Owner description: Jack Harter is the Originator of Helicopter Tours on Kauai. Coming to Kauai in 1962, Jack began offering helicopter tours and charter flights with a focus on safety and quality. Jack's dedication to these important qualities is carried on by the company's hand-picked pilots and ground crew staff that are dedicated to continuing Jack's founding principles. The company offers scenic tours in two types of helicopters: Jack Harter Helicopters' luxurious 6-passenger Eurocopter AStar helicopter features huge floor-to-ceiling windows, BOSE noise-cancelling headsets, air-conditioning, and a cabin layout that has no physical obstructions to viewing the scenery outside. For the more adventurous, their 4-passenger Hughes 500s are flown with the doors removed. There is no luxury in the Hughes 500, but the doors-off flight is very cool! (Double meaning intended!) We ask you to be aware that there are WEIGHT LIMITATIONS for all helicopter tours. The 2 front passenger seats in BOTH helicopter types have more restrictive weight limits, so the SMALLEST PASSENGERS ON ANY GIVEN TOUR ARE USUALLY SEATED IN THE FRONT SEATS. Please look at the company's website to view the aircraft seating diagrams. The company's 60 and 90-minute tours feature Kauai's beautiful Na Pali Coast, the spectacular Waimea Canyon, numerous waterfall-filled valleys including the Hanalei Valley, and Mt. Waialeale, one of the wettest places on earth.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My family of 4 booked the doors off tour and it was absolutely the best $1,100 we spent on the island. Yes, it's pricey. But the experience itself is priceless. You see things on this tour that you just can not see otherwise, and it's unbelievably beautiful. I am not particularly fond of heights, so I was concerned about how I would handle the doors being off, but within one minute of taking off, I was completely relaxed and in awe of what I was seeing. Everyone we dealt with was super friendly and our pilot, Jason, was great, and since the Hughes 500 only carries 4 passengers, we had our own private tour. I can't recommend this company enough.

1  Thank TxMama414
Write a ReviewReviews (1,827)
All reviews
in 53 reviews
"safety briefing"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I took our first trip to Hawaii last September and the doors off helicopter tour was our first activity. What a beautiful experience! The views were breathtaking. If there are two people in your group, ask to sit in the back seat so each of you will have a view out one of the doors. My wife is not extremely adventurous but she felt completely safe with the doors off since you are strapped in with a 5 point seatbelt and cannot fall out of the helicopter. The tour lasted just under an hour, which was the perfect length of time. Unless you have a very difficult time with motion sickness, I do not recommend Dramamine or other medication. Take a good quality camera and you will get the pictures of a lifetime!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I did this tour in February of 2014 - the following was noteworthy:

-The company was very easy to deal with; they were very helpful in the booking process (which we did far in advance).
-The weather can be a factor but we had a generally good day. The crew was very good to deal with in terms of the check in and seating process.
-The pilot did a good job both in terms of flying, narrating the tour, making it interesting (but did not do any stunts that might make one ill!).
-We thought the value for money was very good here (I think we paid $269 per head).

1  Thank Rock_of_Boston
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Any apprehension I had lasted a second or two and was then Replaced with complete awe. We flew over the famed Nepali coast, the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" and too many waterfalls to count. I was amazed at the gracefulness of the helicopter...we saw things that can only be seen from the air over Kauai...a must! The staff was very polite and professional. The emphasis on safety was obvious...Ben, our pilot, gave us tons of info about the island and had a fun soundtrack, too.

1  Thank Pineapplepalm
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I knew I wanted to take a helicopter ride, after all I was going to visit the most beautiful of all the islands of Hawai'i. So, I started my research. Yes, I am one of those people who has most of their vacation laid out (at least most of the major activities, I am not *that* anal!). Jack Harter Helicopters won hands down. For me it was number one for safety and I really wanted the open cockpit. I read their website from "cover to cover" and then called them direct. Since it is based on weight for safety sakes - I figured I was the middle person up front. And I was. Pilot - left side, me - middle, my husband on the right side. Although it was harder to get my bigger lens DSLR around my husband ... word of advice, take a smaller camera with a good strap. If you have a decent small digital camera, it won't matter. But do NOT take a cell phone as your memory maker. Lousy pictures; remember these are shots of a lifetime. Everything was perfect, from the call to the island (once I remembered to call after 3 pm EDT! - it's a 6 hour time difference for HST), the visit to find out where I was going so we wouldn't be late. (their office is NOT at the airport) - to the gentleman who drove us to the airport from their office - a 3-5 min drive. Eli was our pilot and he was wonderful. Great stories and an experienced pilot. I will say if you are at all prone to air sickness, don't eat too much before hand. I don't have problems, but my husband felt a bit queasy at times.

Okay remember:
*no cell phones for camera/memory making
* if open cockpit, wear closed shoes (I wore boots and hiking socks, never got cold feet once and it was *cold*)
*open cockpit: wear jeans/long pants and a light jacket. You will not regret it.
*because my life is worth more than anything, if I am told to be the middle person because of my weight, then I don't argue! You are weighed with all gear and it is discreet.
*whatever safety lessons they tell you, listen to them. It could save your life.

But above all, have FUN! It was an amazing adventure and cannot wait to do it again! This company, of all the ones on Kaua'i, was my number one of two chosen. They are great and will give you views you will not get anywhere else. These are places you cannot see from any road. If you could get there on a road!

6  Thank plcogan