“Great experience for our family”

Kauai Plantation Railway
Ranked #5 of 55 things to do in Lihue
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our recent visit to the Kauai Plantation Railway. We wrote an email asking for information and reservations for the train ride, and Pepe responded promptly will all the information we needed, including 15% off our train ride for just inquiring. Our son, who is 20 months old loves trains and enjoyed the ride so much. Our guide, Tiny, shared lots of information about the different vegetation and history of the plantation. We got to stop and feed the sheep, goats, pigs, and of course chickens and roosters during the ride. I'm glad we went on the train ride and would recommend it for young families.

2  Thank jleeg

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Enjoyable ride through the plantation viewing many type of trees and animals. Narriator did a good job explaining things while on the ride.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

This tour on the railroad was the highlight of my grand children's Hawaiian trip. I loved riding the train and seeing how pineapples are grown. I loved the grounds and the tour guide was very funny. However, the train stops and lets the children feed the wild bores. They saw the baby pigs and fed the big pigs. My six-year-old grandson said this was the best part of the trip. I will have to admit, it was fun. The cost of the train ride is inexpensive and it was interesting to see the shops around the train station. The grounds are beautiful and full of all types of fruit and herbs. I learned from the tour guide what each plant does for the human body. When we go to Hawaii again, I will do the train ride. This is a must for families.

1  Thank 940TexasGirl
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We have been to Kauai a number of times and had not taken this rail trip. There is a senior and AARP rate, but a 15% off coupon can be found in the free Kauai booklets at the airport.

It is a 45 minute trip through the various planting, fruits, and trees. Fifteen to 20 minutes were spent feeding the boars/piglets, chickens and goats. They had stale bread for those who wanted to experience this activity. As someone who grew up on a Midwest farm, this just was not an activity for me.

The staff were very pleasant and clearly stated what we were passing and the history of the Plantation.

1  Thank patsyannie
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We did this ride as part of our Luau Kalamaku experience. It was interesting to see all the plants currently grown on the grounds and to hear about the history of the property as a sugar plantation.