“Pick a pearl”
Review of Hilo Hattie

Hilo Hattie
Ranked #7 of 17 Shopping in Lihue
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We visit Hilo Hattie mainly for Maui Divers pick a pearl. I had no idea they used to be free. Now they are $14.95. But they have a coupon gimmick of choosing your coupon. They have 30% 40% 50% off. At the stand alone Maui Divers if you don't pull 50% off you are out of luck. At Hilo Hattie I have always had good fortune that they let me daughter try again until she gets a 50% off. She gets to open an oyster and get a pearls for les than $8! Do not feel pressured to buy their expensive jewelry. $8 pearl is a bargain. Leave! And they are now offering the free shell leis again upon arrival.

1  Thank Tarainjag
"calendar"
"oahu"
"luau"

Reviewed 18 February 2014

So, we get this "coupon book" from our concierge, and are told that this is a great place to shop for Maui gifts. The coupon book offers free towel, or sarong with minimum purchase, sounds good right? Well, we walk in, are directed toward the "Pick an oyster, pearl" spot, which is pretty reasonable $14.95 for a pearl, with a half off coupon, and a little ritual for opening the oyster. My daughters and I thought it was pretty cool, until they rope you in to buy a setting for the pearl, with the least expensive setting being $40. My daughter is 9 years old! I almost fell to the floor. Just be aware of what you are getting into. We did not even check out the rest of the store!

2  Thank Paula W
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I used to love a visit to Hilo Hattie every time I went to Hawaii. This time I was sadly disappointed.
- The pearl is now $15.00 instead of a free try
- the "local island" selection was poor
- the overall selection was also poor

Won't be visiting next trip... that's for sure

1  Thank hulalulabunnies
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

They have all your luau needs....if you want to dress the part. A little pricey, but very friendly. I was greeted with a shell lei and had enjoyed browsing the store. My clerk was friendly and very helpful.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We have gone to your store for many years, first visiting friends, and then becoming local. We have always spent hundreds of dollars per year purchasing dresses, shirts, hat/cap combinations plus many home and gift items.

One visit per vacation usually results in a second because there was something we were contemplating and then just had to have. After the shell lei, you are offered free juice and THEN those pearl women descend on you offering free pearls, just select the oyster, you always get one, then the hard sell really begins. These women use every tactic, just short of jerking you back by your hair to sell you those pearl settings. Ever notice there are more women pushing pearls than there are at the checkout line, which is usually long and very slow. There was no one to help in the dressing room.

When we were in there recently, we were not greeted with the shell leis, but there were customers in the store who wore these leis. I asked the girl at the door "Why no lei greeting?" She told me they no longer do the leis in the store, but their tour bus drivers do give them out on their tours to Hilo Hattie's.

SHAME ON YOU Hilo Hattie's!!! These leis are cheap to buy elsewhere, but how much do these cost wholesale?

We have frequent visits from family and friends from the mainland. Hilo Hattie's was always a must because of the lei greeting and the variety and uniqueness of your inventory. Our visitors would usually spend quite a lot, and come back for further gifts for their friends and families.

I will no longer subject my visitors to your "free" pearl scam and pushiness. The shell lei greeting at least took some of the embarrassment away from your pushy pearl women, and what is just short of bait and switch; but without the lei greeting, I am embarassed to subject my visitors to the hard sell "free" pearl scam for jewelry settings right after we enter your establishment. "Hey help yourself to some free juice, now you get a free pearl and then let us twist our arm behind our backs while you push your pearl settings (not free), makes me want to ruin back out the front door without shopping.

ABC stores would be a better choice, or Walmart, or the many other shops and craft fairs that have the the same products, but at lower prices.

3  Thank Commentary2013