“Almost perfect”

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We had a spectacular, unforgettable time spending six nights of our honeymoon at the Koa Kea. The staff was great, the food was delicious, the setting was gorgeous. A little on the pricey side, but it was well worth it. Being so close to the ocean to hear the waves crashing was just incredible. We loved just sitting on the lawn, enjoying food and drinks from the pool bar.

But why "almost perfect"? For whatever reason, in rebuilding the property, the developers failed to install the room air-conditioning systems in a location that was insulated enough from the rooms themselves, or they were cheap A/C systems -- I'm not enough of an expert to know for sure. The result was that in our expensive oceanfront room (which was a free upgrade from ocean view), we were sleeping a couple feet away from an extremely noisy system, and I had to wear earplugs. The staff engineer gamely tried his best to fix it multiple times and just couldn't do it. Fortunately, the front desk was nice enough to upgrade us after four nights to an oceanfront suite down the hall that had better furniture (in a totally different motif) and a huge bathroom with jacuzzi tub and TV. Best of all, the A/C unit was in the living room, and with the bedroom door closed, we could barely hear it, so that saved our stay. (The room, probably one of their most expensive, had the same noisy A/C system as our first room.)

So, the Koa Kea is first-rate in every way -- except for their darned air conditioners.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScottDCtraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (2,192)

Reviewed 25 September 2011

We LOVED this place! I don't even know where to start...we were a bit concerned about the price but it was well worth it. the staff was incredible, the food was amazing (highly recommend the sushi), and THE BEDS!! I have never been so comfortable in my life. Every little detail was great even the bathroom toiletries were fantastic. I really can't say enough about this place...I cannot wait to go back. :)

Room Tip: we had a room facing the ocean...highly recommended.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kroops
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Second island of our island hopping honeymoon. Stayed 4 days in March. Amazing location. We had ocean view room --- but next time would splurge on the ocean front. Very contemporary feel to the room... one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. Never really felt crowded. My husband went by the neighbouring resorts and was alarmed at how busy the other resorts felt. Some kids but very few compared to neighbouring resorts. We went on the helicopter excursion (with the Jurassic park landing) and were blown away by the beauty of the island. Good idea to rent a car unless you don't plan on leaving the resort at all. The island is quite spread out so cab rides can add up quickly. This is also truly the "sunny" side of the island and the area to stay in. We were amazed at how different the weather could be in just a 15 minute car ride (rainy/gloomy to sunny).

Room Tip: splurge on ocean front if you can. the rooms and balconies are beachfront. ocean view was nice but...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

My wife and I decided to go with the Koa Kea for the second part of our honeymoon to Kauai and we were very pleased with our decision in the end. Coming from the Four Seasons in Maui, it wouldn't have been fair to compare the two but we did our research and knew what kind of hotel to expect out of the Koa Kea. It's definitely a couples oriented resort and really good at what it represents. There really isn't too much to this place and that's something I really liked about that. Right off the ocean, and I mean right off the ocean, it's a very serene and relaxing environment which was a change from what we got out of Maui (not that this was bad there!). The staff was very friendly and interested in what we had planned and always had a smile on their faces. When you get there, a host shows you around the property ready for any questions and takes you to your room. The room to me was just right and perfect for what we were looking for. This had to be THE most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. The standup shower was larger than usual as it had a regular shower head and also an overhead shower head.

If I had to describe the Koa Kea in one word, it would be "cozy". At night, it's very romantic and comforting when the torches outside are lit with the ocean breeze settling in. The restaurant Red Salt was an awesome place to eat as the food and service was top notch. The pool area is just what the doctor ordered also. Great place to take a dip or head over to the outdoor bar for a cocktail which were also very good. They also have great paninis for lunch they press right there at the bar are along with their delicious red salt chips. It was great to meet so many couples, many on their honeymoon, around the pool bar and engage into great conversation.

The only thing I didn't care for where the deck chairs around the pool were a little uncomfortable to sit on. It would have been nice for them to pad them or at least have fitted towels wrapped around them. I guess coming from the Four Seasons sets your standards pretty high, but it wasn't really a letdown, just would be a nice to have.

Beach access is merely a few minutes away along the beachfront walkway. Poipu beach is absolutely perfect for taking a dip and getting some quality beach time.

It's also worth noting that within a simple 10 minute walk, you're within an shopping center with jewelry shops, souvenirs, a general store, Starbucks, restaurants, and Puka Dog! Also, if you've rented a jeep, there's another shopping area with great restaurants such as Merrimans along with a Mexican and even a Tapas place.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Kauai and I hope to get back there again someday. I read some reviews on here and I think some people had too many expectations of this place. You really need to go in with the expectation of this hotel is not about constantly pampering you with things, but of course are very friendly and accommodating whenever you do have a request. Also, it's a lot more expensive to have a ocean front room, but let me tell you that the ocean is so darn close you can enjoy it just as much being almost anywhere on the property. Our room was facing the pool and we couldn't see the ocean directly, but we didn't care as I merely opened the sliding door and looked to the right and there it was. I highly recommend this hotel and you won't be disappointed!

2  Thank cabbonizio
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed here for 3 days during our honeymoon. This is a great place to stay for couples and adults. While not entirely kid free, it's clearly pleasing the adults only crowd. If you are looking for a relaxing and beautiful place to stay look no further. If you want screaming kids and water slides, book the Hyatt.
The resort is very close to the ocean with quick access to the beach. The pools is very peacefully . The rooms were clean, the bath was spacious and had L'Occitane toiletries. My only complaint was the air conditioner was a little on the loud side.
The staff is very nice.
We had a couples masage that was to die for.
Red Salt is awesome, we had 2 delicious dinners there including sushi. The breakfast was just ok, I didn't find it exception but it was still good.
The Mai Tai's here are ridiculously tasty (and strong).

This resort is one where you are left alone, not bothered. It's all about relaxation. Great place to stay we will be back!

3  Thank Fishingmd
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed for three nights on our honeymoon. The place is simply amazing. Staff is incredible and so nice. Get the package with the breakfast included. It was unreal, entrees bigger than two can handle and a continental breakfast like I have never seen. Room service food was very good as well. Best bar in Poipu hands down.

My only complaint is that they should really not allow kids. It is just too small and with other resorts catering to families I don't understand why anyone would bring a child here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rooster77
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We were island hopping and stayed for part of our honeymoon for 3 nights at Koa Kea. The resort is beautiful, we had an ocean view room located over the lobby with a straight-on view of the pool, grounds and ocean. The room was a good size and nicely decorated in browns and turquoise. Biggest bath towels I'd seen and really nice shower with high-end bath products. Resort was quiet and there were always available lounge chairs by the pool and on the lawn which was a great spot for watching the surfers and the sunsets. Beaches were easily accessible on either side of the property. Staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the valets and the pool bar folks, who would deliver your drinks and food to your lounge chairs. The Red Salt restaurant was really good as well. We'd definitely stay here again.

1  Thank AnneRick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!