“A hidden secret in Kauai” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
San Francisco,CA
“A hidden secret in Kauai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Loved the Koa Kea. A quiet and beautiful resort adjacent to the Marriott in Poipu. Was not overly crowded with tons of tourists like the other hotels. The service was great and people very friendly- especially doormen who somehow always remembered our names- felt very personal. Nice quiet pool that was I think adults only. This is a wonderful retreat - in a great convenient location- and we just had a wonderful time. Felt very special staying there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luv2travel0604

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Korean first
Dover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at Koa Kea for four days after being on Maui for business. We've stayed at a bunch of the luxury hotels in Hawaii, including all four Four Seasons resorts, plus the Ritz at Kapalua. We also have stayed at the St. Regis in Princeville in the past.

The hotel location is excellent, in that it is centrally located on Poipu Bay. Golf at Poipu was all of 3 minutes down the road. Weather in Poipu seems to much more dependable than the north side of the island.

This hotel is a bit of a gem. We were not sure we wanted a boutique experience, but the hotel facility was extremely updated, and extras abounded. Lots of extra towels, bottles of water, etc. that really made the stay easy. We joined iPrefer before making the reservation, and as a result, were provided with all kinds of resort credits. Typically, we would never use these, but we ate breakfast and lunch there every day. We also bought tee shirts and other sundries at the on site shop using the credits.

The staff was very friendly, attentive and polished. They arranged for dinner reservations, helicopter tours, etc.

We had a third floor ocean front room with vaulted ceiling which we thought was worth the extra money for the view and space.

Overall, a really great experience.

Room Tip: Third floor ocean front is excellent. We were in Room 378, and it was away from the hallway and sta...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank PRPJSP
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I could go on and on about this place, but what truly sets this hotel apart is the high quality of the hotel staff. That's the bottom line. From the minute we walked in the door until the minute we pulled away, it was nothing but smiles and alohas. As we walked into our beautifully decorated oceanfront room, #244, we were greeted with a bottle of nice champagne and an enormous bouquet of gorgeous native flowers and greenery. We received turn down service every night which included a chilled bottle of Fiji water, no need to ask. Everyone was great including the beach supply rental guys, but I was especially impressed with service from Dean the valet, Sharon the spa receptionist, our housekeeper Imelida (sp?) and our first waitress at Red Salt, Nancy.The toiletries are all L'Occitane and the towels are gigantic. I would also highly recommend booking a massage at the spa. It was expensive, but I have never been more relaxed in my life. We booked a package through IPrefer which gave us complimentary breakfast and a daily $75 resort credit which could be used in a lump sum. The breakfast (DELISH!) included access to their big continental buffet as well as the selection of one entree from their menu as well as coffee/tea and a pastry basket. Needless to say, we were stuffed afterward.One thing to mention - the IPrefer resort credit did not include tips so make sure to factor that in. Beautiful grounds, beautiful people, just minutes from great snorkeling and soft sand beaches. The only thing we struggled with was keeping enough small bills on hand to reward all the awesome service we were getting. Seriously, this is the place for your honeymoon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BrittC333
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is a great option due to it's relatively smaller scale. Full service Hotel with all that that entails but not filled with all the typical tourists - diverse. There were at least five same sex couples at the Hotel during our stay which felt good! The staff are very welcoming and accommodating. Two points I will make - change the carpets in the corridors and lobby, they make the Hotel feel less clean (it is clean - the carpets are shot!) and you should provide a reasonable amount of Nespresso pods for the number of nights a room stays. If you are here two nights you get six and if you are here a week you get six. Let the amenity be an amenity! I do recommend and would certainly return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lemmondd
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

In the sunnier side of Kauai, direct access to beach, this a deservedly well ranked non-smoking hotel. Particularly pleasant is the general arquitecture and the enclosed patio with lawn and the swimming pool leading to the beach . Good walking and snorkelling at the public beach park some 100 meters away where large turtles are an almost constant sight.
Great service, attention, courtesy valet, beautiful and functional - if not large - rooms (ours had a garden view and didn´t bother at all). Some care with live corners of the bed is recommended.
Being a medium-size hotel, there is only one restaurant in the premises, the upscale Red Salt, excellent for the breakfast and OK for dinner, prices somewhat ahead of the food for main entrées, although great for cocktails and serving a delicious couvert.
Attention of the hotel is such that, having abandoned an old par of worn slippers in the room, I was contacted soon after to check if I wanted the "lost property" to be sent to my home address.
It is all so agreable the Koa Kea, a special atmosphere of relaxation, without feeling of isolation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ernando A
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I spent a lot of time going back and forth, trying to decide between Koa Kea and the Hyatt. I decided on Koa Kea because I wanted a quiet, peaceful experience after being completely worn out from work. It was absolutely the right choice. The grounds are small but beautiful, the rooms are very lovely, and the bathroom was really really nice. My only slight complaint about the room was that the walls were thin - at the end of my stay a couple came with a baby who had a habit of screaming around 1 in the morning, and it felt like the child was in my room. I had a garden room and there was a little patio. Not much to see, but I spent all my time out on the lawn by the pool, so that didn't really bother me. You did have to walk a step or two to get to a beach that was more swimmable, but it was literally only a step or two. I would go for runs in the morning - lots of great side streets with stunning scenery. The weather was amazing - even when it rained, it was usually only for a brief period of time. Food was great. Loved the breakfast and the dinner at the Red Salt was outstanding (particularly the drinks and the bread). There were also a number of really good restaurants within walking distance. I recommend the Plantation Gardens Hotel and Merriman's. I would say life might have been a little easier if I had rented a car for the week, but it was still fairly easy getting around. I was there by myself and at first felt like I was the only solo traveler in the hotel, but rapidly met a few other people. By the end, I was practically in tears when I had to go back to the mainland for work!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Karen G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I was there 8 days. The place is a dream. Perfect location, great beaches nearby.
Everyone is so nice and helpful,
Ok for kids, we brought our baby and he also had a great time. (1 year old)

The only thing I do not recommend is the Red Salt restaurant for dinner.
The food quality does not match the prices. We ordered the lobster ravioli and it was mushy, watery, like if it had been defrosted recently. The chicken tasted like hospital food. Everything was flavorless and without salt.

Breakfast at Red Salt was good though. I do recommend Da Crack Mexican in Kuku'i la.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Emiliano65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,199 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!