“Wonderful for people w/o kids!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Washington
“Wonderful for people w/o kids!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

This hotel is absolutely amazing - it's right on a small (but perfectly sized) beach in the heart of the southern coast of Kauai. Here are some important points / tips:

1. the hotel is down a winding road behind a larger resort (slightly strange to find)
2. Valet only but they don't have a per day cost, just tip when you get your car. The valet staff could not be quicker or more helpful. remembered us by name and often helped with restaurant options and places to go for a hike / walk. it was less than 3 minuets usually from when we asked for our car to when we got it. perfection!
3. the pool is wonderful - just the right size and overlooking the beach and a large grassy area for you to lounge on. there are plenty of lounging chairs at the pool as well.
4. No kids at this resort made our honeymoon perfect (it's honestly not a kid-friendly location at all so it's not like kids would be here...)
5. the rooms are so nice - large and the beds are heaven.
6. we never at the Red Salt rest, but we heard great things about it.
7. the beach / ocean right outside is perfect - crystal clear water and surfers right outside. the surf here is a little too "rough" for kids (hence why kids are not really here) but it's not rough at all for adults.
8. if you can get ocean view - ask for the rooms above the restaurant - they have perfect, unobstructed views of the ocean and huge (larger than others) balconies.

We WILL be back to visit!

Room Tip: Rooms above the restaurant are THE BEST!
7 Thank Pamela L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Korean first
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We went to the Koa Kea for 8 days the end of February. It was the perfect retreat after a rough winter on the East Coast.

It's a great hotel for a honeymoon or if you're looking for a private and relaxing vacation. It was a small hotel with mostly couples, so the pool/lawn area was never too crowded and or loud from families and children (unlike the neighboring Marriott or Sheraton). The location is great too, I was hesitant to stay in Poipu with all the resorts, but Koa Kea was like an Oasis. Poipu was a great home base for seeing all the other sights on the Island. Plus for the winter months it has the beast weather.

The grounds and rooms of the hotel are beautiful. We had a partial ocean view with a patio which we took advantage of - spending many evenings enjoying a cocktail and many nights we left the sliding glass door open so we could hear the ocean. The room decor was clean and modern with really nice amenities, especially the bathroom. The pool area and lawn is beautifully maintained. I was a huge fan of the Coconut Mojitos at the pool bar (Thank you Samdi). Red Salt was the our favorite restaurant on Kauai. After a day tuna fishing on a charter boat the chef at Red Salt made us an incredible dinner of Poke, Sushi and Sashimi from our yellowfin tuna.

The activities/sports hut was great, we did a lot of surfing and stand up paddle boarding (thank you Greg and Pedro).

We do a lot of traveling and rarely stay in one hotel for an entire trip. We also never make plans to return to any one location (we like to try new places). But Koa Kea is a hotel I look forward to returning to one day.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RhettSCP
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We did expect way more out of Koa Kea.  The staff did stand out the most, when at all available.  There are definitely staffing issues- valet, front desk, and waitstaff.  When we first arrived, we were greeted by the valet team who sat us in the hotel lobby and it was nearly 15 minutes before we were finally able to check in. Our check in agent/concierge, assisted us with dinner reservations for the entire week and booking a helicopter tour of Kauai- very convenient service. Once escorted to our room, it took almost an hour until we received our luggage. Our first day at the pool was disappointing- no pool attendant or waitstaff. It took over 40 minutes to get our lunch and drinks from the pool bar where lunch is served (we ordered a salads). We also did wait a while to be seated for breakfast (almost daily), and service overall lagged. Although our servers were pleasant, they were extremely overwhelmed which took away from our overall dining experience at Red Salt. Food itself was great- must do sushi night with Justin! Another disappointment was the room and amenities. We were being nickel-and-dimed with some of the room amenities, which in most resorts (just stayed at FS Wailea) are complementary and especially at the rate we were paying. Nespreso coffee machine was a great touch, but we were given only 6 complementary capsules for our entire stay. It didn't matter if you were staying 1 or 10 nights, you were to receive only 6 capsules. Water in the room is not replenished either. We were told to share our 330ml bottle of Fiji water. Additional coffee and bottled water may both be purchased at the front desk. The room itself was exceptionally clean and housekeeping did a great job with both morning and evening service. We were very pleased with the L'Occataine bath amenities. The overly soft and slightly lumpy king bed did bother us both. We did notify housekeeping and the feather topper was removed which did help a little. Our view of the ocean was okay- it was further back and also overlooked the interior of the property (pool, lawn, pool bar). I am glad we weren't put on the ground floor which especially lacked privacy, the pool bar fronting your room balcony. Overall, one of the best aspects of koakea was the staff- they were all very courteous and helpful. However I don't think we will be returning.

9 Thank Jubear2
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I don't think there are enough complimentary words in the dictionary to describe the hotel, the restaurant, the spa and the staff at Koa Kea! Upon arriving at the hotel, the relaxation my husband and I were in such need of began immediately. The hotel is so calming you immediately detach from life on the "mainland". Our room was an extension of the environment created in the lobby. A super comfortable King size bed, a well appointed bath and a comfortable deck with chairs to enjoy outside the room. We were so mesmerized with the property that we immediately extended our stay an extra three days....and even though those ended up being rainy days....we continued to enjoy our stay. The staff truly goes above and beyond to ensure your every need is addressed. Don't hesitate to ask your question - the staff will address your need or find a way to help you out. Red Salt, the on site restaurant serves a wonderful menu. Well prepared dishes in a welcoming setting with attentive staff make for a great dining experience. The pool area is well maintained with comfortable lounge chairs and a convenient bar for drinks and food. We will definitely plan on returning! Many thanks to the staff at Koa Kea for providing us with a much needed vacation focused on relaxation and exploring the wonders of Kauai.

Room Tip: There really is not a bad room on the property due to its size and layout. Our room was directly ab...
2 Thank sunnygirl59
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Note: trip was for our honeymoon

Day 1 - arrived at night, ready to take a shower and go straight to bed for a good nights rest. Instead, the water in the shower was not draining correctly. I ended up showering in a puddle of accumulating water that eventually reached an inch...

Day 2 - Notified the concierge of the shower pumbling issues. They fixed it that morning. Came back after dinner to key cards that wouldn't work and had to be fixed. The toiletries were not replenished.

Day 3 - Ready for bed after a long day of hiking and exploring the island. Husband turns the AC on, and I'm already in bed. Air conditioner BREAKS and would not stop making a beeping alarm noise. Maintenance had to come in and fix it, he brings in a wrench and opens up the AC box. By the way, when we went to the front desk and notified them, they asked us if the AC was beeping as if they had already knew the problem. I suspect this isn't the first time.

Day 4 - Upgraded ourselves to the Ocean front room from the Garden room. View was amazing and just as advertised (you can hear the waves crashing from the room), but we were paying big bucks $$$ for that room. Unfortunately, the room was smaller than the Garden room and while the Garden room had a king size bed, the ocean front room was a Queen sized bed. So we were paying three times more for a smaller room with the same amenities, with the addition of only a better view.

Day 5 - the key card had issues again and had to be replaced

I have to add that despite all the problems we had, the service was excellent and everyone was friendly (hence the 2 stars). The valet guys are awesome and maintenance was always super quick. But because of all the room defects, I did not think this was a 5 star hotel at all. We never got upgraded or compensated for any of the problems we incurred on our stay.

12 Thank Notathome2013
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

That's definitely not the way I'd LIKE to describe my honeymoon, trust me. I'm the type of person who always looks for the positives everywhere I go. When my husband and I started planning our elopement wedding to Napa Valley, CA last fall, we decided what better time than now to go to Hawaii, since we're from the east coast. We decided to pick Kauai because we wanted an upscale experience in a nice, quiet place. Which is what we got. But what we didn't get was anything extra. Nothing to make us feel special the day we arrived. We had just tied the knot the day before, but when we got to the Koa Kea, they had no idea we were on our Honeymoon.

I had numerous conversations with my travel agent leading up to the trip, she showed me fax confirmations (and even sent me a fax to our room at the Koa Kea once we settled in just to be sure that she had been sending the faxes to the right number, because she couldn't believe nobody acknowledged us as being newly weds), showing that she had given them notice that we would be honeymooners and to be sure to take good care of us. I'd read all the reviews. Everyone said this was the place to go. They upgraded everyone in our situation - on a honeymoon - to ocean view rooms, bottles champagne, flowers etc. We got nothing but a half a bottle of champagne. When we told them upon our checkin process that we were on our honeymooners, they simply replied "OH" and took us to our garden view room. My husband and I paid an EXTRA $1,400+ to upgrade OURSELVES to an ocean view room.

The property is nice, clean, and the restaurants have good food with very slow service. That's about all I can say. I wish I hadn't read the reviews, because it left me feeling like we missed something. We enjoyed ourselves on the island, of course. It's beautiful everywhere you go. But our Travel Agent told us not to worry about booking an ocean front room, because she had referred many honeymooners to the Koa Kea in the past and they had all been upgraded and had excellent service. The only thing that bothers me is that the hotel was NOT at maximum occupancy that week, we easily upgraded ourselves to an ocean front room, and they did NOTHING to make our experience special. Like I said, I like to keep things positive, and we did have an excellent time, my husband and I. But I was expecting something more of this expensive, 5 Star, boutique property.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Natasha516
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My partner and I stayed for 7 nights here, and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. When we arrived we were shown to our room personally by one of the reception staff, who gave us information about the resort and our room as we went along. We had an Ocean view room, the view was beautiful, we were lucky that our room was pretty close to the beach so was great to sit out on the balcony and watch the waves. The rooms are nicely laid out, very comfortable beds, and the shower is fantastic! only downside is there was no bathtub. The products they provide are all L'Occitane. There are Nespresso machines in the rooms and they provide 6 free capsules, if you want more than that you can buy them in the gift shop, or do what I did and bring more with you from home.

We had breakfast included in our booking and it was superb, They provide a continental buffet and you can also choose one entree each. We ate at the Red Salt restaurant one night and the meal we had was also great. There are two bars, one by the pool, the other next to the restaurant, both are great and the staff are very friendly, we had many really good cocktails there.

They have a desk where you can grab beach towels, hire water sports equipment and book surfing lessons, the guys who work there was really helpful and gave us lots of information about which beaches where best for snorkeling, and what areas to avoid.
If you hire a car for your trip then the only option is valet parking, this is included in the resort fee. The guys who do the valet parking are the best! so friendly, helpful and professional. As our flight was quite late at night and check out is at 12, we were really happy to discover they provide a complimentary departure service were you can hire a room with a shower for an hour, this meant that we could have a day by the pool and at the beach. We had a massage at the on site spa, it was fantastic! really recommend the lomi lomi. If you do then you might want to book ahead by emailing the hotel as they get booked up.

This resort is boutique, its not very big, but that is what we loved about it. Its not somewhere you would probably want to take children to as they would get bored, its more suited to couples on their honeymoon. The level of service they provide is just fantastic, all the staff are so helpful and friendly, This is probably the best hotel i've stayed in for that. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank N_82_H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,203 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!