“NOT a luxury hotel”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
New York City, New York
“NOT a luxury hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

What a disappointment! Based on reviews (and prices), we expected a small luxurious gem of a hotel, instead we find a 2 story motel with little charm and fewer amenities. The grounds are barely landscaped without color or the lush feeling of the other properties in the area. The pool area is flat and unappealing, and yesterday the lounge cushions were " out for cleaning" , so not enough for all the guests. Several times while resting at the pool, the pool attendant dragged the metal chairs across the stone surface to reposition them! There's a nice tiki bar, but prices are high, $16 drinks and $22 burgers, no happy hour prices. If you decide to walk to the nearby beach, you are on your own to RENT chairs, snorkel equipment, umbrellas or extra towels, and then walk to the beach. A luxury hotel would provide these amenities and provide service to the beach. Our room is a "garden view" on the 1st level. I feel like I'm in a basement room (albeit, well furnished), with a view of an ugly green fence separating us from a public walkway, people can see directly into our room from the walkway!! There is no garden. We were told at check in that the AC doesn't go below 68degrees, and we get 1 bottle of water at night with 2 glasses. Really? You call this luxury? The young staff tries to be very accommodating, telling us we could easily walk over to the nearby mall for dinner, which we did along a pitched black highway road without a sidewalk. How dangerous and ridiculous! A luxury hotel would have a shuttle service since so many quests go to the restaurants in the two local malls. The room is well furnished, but the rugs in the hallway are badly soiled. All in all, a real disappointment and decidedly NOT a luxury experience! I'm miffed about all the positive reviews in Trip Advisor.

the pool attendant

23 Thank travgalNE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I felt compelled to write a review of the Koa Kea as I'm about to book a second stay after an amazing experience during our honeymoon. This is a unique, understatedly luxurious and relaxing property and is perfect for anyone looking for a true Kauai experience. This is NOT a hotel for anyone who's tastes swing more towards loud pools full of screaming kids, contrived, cheesy "Hawaiian" themes or typical run of the mill rooms. The Koa Kea is not a McResort. It's a quiet, intimate property with a beautiful view, beautiful grounds and clean, extremely comfortable, tastefully decorated rooms. The Red Salt restaurant on site is amazing as well and the entire staff of the hotel was great. The Koa Kea truly fits the Kauai vibe and allows you to enjoy the natural beauty of the surroundings without feeling like you're part of the tourist horde. For those looking for a mega resort, maybe stick to the more garish variety found on Oahu. Or better yet, go to Mexico.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank raiderofthelosttrail
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I gave this review two stars, but would like to point out the kindness and understanding the staff, especially Pam, showed. I found the entire staff to be incredibly hospitable and a pleasure to work with (see last paragraph)
The two stars are a reflection of the hotel itself and the quality you are getting for the price. I have absolutely no idea how this "resort" is even called a resort or given four 1/2 stars. Before coming to Hawaii, I did extensive research on the hotels I would be staying at. I have an anxiety disorder and need hotels to feel clean and luxurious. We had just come from Maui, and stayed in Wailea, and was expecting the same quality of resort. As we pulled up, it was evident that the Koa Kea was once a motel, or some sort of motel. It certainly did not feel like a "resort" in any way shape or form. We were brought to our 1st floor "garden" room that stepped out onto a patio that looked directly at a green broken dirty fence not 10 feet away. The room was incredibly small and claustrophobic. There were stains on the bed bench and ripped parts on the wall. I felt as if someone tried to decorate a Motel 6 and pass it off as a "resort." Devastated that this would be my honeymoon suite, my husband and I got back into the car at 10pm and drove the strip looking to see if there was something else that had openings. Unlucky, we went back to the Koa Kea and told them of our unhappiness. They were incredibly understanding and brought me to a different room on the second floor overlooking the pool. Because of the open window views, this room felt more spacious but still was not the high quality that we were looking for. Had we booked this room ourselves the first time we would have been paying around $400 a night for a "motel feel." We spent one night (the bed was too soft with the pillowtop) and booked a flight back to Maui the next day. I am devastated that I missed everything Kauai had to offer because of this hotel. Tripadvisor has never steered me wrong in the past, but this time, it really missed the mark big time.

To elaborate on the service- I just want to mention how above and beyond Pam and the staff at the Koa Kea went to make me feel better. They helped me book a flight for the next morning and let me use their business center to print the boarding passes. They helped me cancel the room with Orbitz and refunded my costs for the remaining nights (they DID NOT have to do that and I was terrified I would be out thousands of dollars). They called a taxi for me in the morning and made sure my husband and I were completely taken care of. It was evident that they just wanted me to be happy, whether it was with them or with another hotel. I want to thank these wonderful people for understanding my feelings and being fantastic human beings.

13 Thank Christine B
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

This is a really nice hotel. While it may not have the flash and the in-your-face opulence of some of the large high-end resorts (Hyatt, St Regis), what it does have is quiet luxury in a small and personalized setting. The staff is truly gracious and helpful, and within a day was recognizing us all by our names. Poolside, there’s space and calm and great drinks. You feel like a guest here, not like a number, and, to us, that was more important than the opulence of the large resorts. This is a top-quality, excellently managed hotel which we can recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank cariocaken
Grand Island, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

About the only negative, and this is not absolute, is that this little charmer is tough to find at night. That being said, you'd be hard-pressed to find such a nice little escape in a popular resort area. Koa Kea is a wonderful escape for adults. The staff is extraordinarily welcoming and responsive to guests' needs. My wife requested slippers and they arrived at our door within 5 minutes. The grounds layout is simple and easy to navigate. The room design is efficient and well-appointed, giving it a spacious feel. Fixtures, bed, and bedding are high quality. Fresh Mac nuts at arrival were scrumptious. A small, second floor gym with five treadmills made for convenient exercising. Opt for a second floor room location as it affords a better view of the hotel's limited ocean views. On another note, the food at the hotel's restaurant, Red Salt, has deteriorated some since our last visit and needs an update. The wine list continues to shine but is now pricier.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank mingfatsai
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

This boutique hotel simply can't be beat. It is a classy, subdued retreat with the finest beaches on Kauai all around you. We've always loved Kauai's stunning North shore. Staying at Koa Kea for a few days before or after has become something we look forward to in equal measure.

The on-site restaurant Red Salt, while quite good by Kauai standards, has it's hits and misses.

2 Thank Bill-in-CA
Napier, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

1. I decided to upgrade my room to a Partial Ocean View room; what I got was no view from the room, but if you stepped out onto the balcony/lanai and looked over 5 other private balconies I could see a 5° slice of the ocean. It turns out that I had one of the nicer Partial Ocean View rooms and that the further upgrade to Ocean View gave me the same balcony view but a little broader slice of ocean. To actually have an ocean view from the room, you need to book an Ocean Front room. 2. The hotel does not have a beach; it is a rocky promontory with access to the beach on either side of the property so you can go snorkelling, etc. But if you view yourself sitting in lounge chairs on the sand with tropical drinks being served to you, you will need to happy with sitting by the pool. 3. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable; the staff and service are truly outstanding; and the restaurant Red Salt is excellent.

9 Thank LarryBlume
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,226 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!