2,479 results
All reviews red salt nespresso machine small hotel pool bar our honeymoon ocean front continental buffet poipu beach sushi chef mega resorts breakfast package macadamia nuts valet staff turn down service rain shower eggs benedict partial ocean view
Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed the last days of our Hawaii trip at KoaKea ... and we really enjoyed. The atmosphere of the resort is awesome! The staff is really amazing. I dont remeber when was the last time we had so friendly staff. Our flight back was later than usual check–out time, they offered us a check–out lounge – super!

yes, the hotel is really expansive, but compared to the price level of Hawaii it is reasonable. The hotel is really made for people who wants to calm down and relax.

Breakfast was great as well! Avocado toast is really recommendable.

The room had enough space, especially the bathroom was very nice.

Valet parking is always on time and very very friendly!

Thanks team for making our stay that enjoyable! Fantastic management !

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2018 via mobile

Everything about Koa Kea was wonderful - the location, facilities, staff, service and food. A gem set on the ocean amongst larger resorts and a great place for couples and adults to relax in a spectacular and mostly quiet setting. Steps from 2 beaches with a nice hot tub, pool and pool bar. Parking is by free valet only, and car was always brought up to front entrance promptly. Red Salt restaurant was outstanding. Poipu location was great with numerous dining options nearby. Staff always friendly and courteous. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2018

An understated, quiet little place in an excellent location with easy beach access. It doesn’t have that resort vibe, so it isn’t overpopulated and too busy. It is mostly couples (of all ages) on romantic getaways. One young couple brought their two kids, which was super annoying. After a few days they disappeared, so maybe they got the memo that they should have stayed at the Marriott and/or had their kids swim/play at the beach. If you are reading this and have kids, ask yourself whether or not you want to be that annoying couple. There was also this guy who was tone deaf and talking very loudly in the pool, but he seemed to disappear after a day. So for 95% of the time the pool vibe was quiet and relaxing opposed to a booze party or kid’s play zone. It’s all contingent on the guests who stay there, and some weeks may be different than others, but during our stay it was exactly what we like – quiet and calm.

Compared to other parts of the island (i.e. where the St Regis is), it was significantly less rainy, which is one of the main reasons that I would recommend staying here. The weather forecast said it was supposed to rain and storm all week, but every single day it was sunny and dry. It rained for like 3 minutes a few afternoons, and I think it rained some during the night, but it was pretty much perfect weather. We talked to other people staying on the north side, and they said that was not the situation there.

There’s a beach on the left-hand side by the Marriott (Poipu Beach) that is connected by a path. It is all good and fine. I really enjoyed the other beach to the right-hand side of the hotel (Kiahuna Beach), which was less busy. You cross over a small patch of rocks to get to the beach, but I saw some older folks who were able to do this without too much of a struggle. I’m terrified of going into the ocean, and I had no issues swimming in the water every day. I loved that this place had such great beach accessibility without being too exposed to the public, busy, etc.

As you’d expect, there is a restaurant and a pool bar. The prices for drinks and food are pricy, but that’s pretty typical. The Marriot has a pool bar that is less pricey and has a happy hour. It is much better to take the very short walk to get your discounted mai tai and nachos, let it be busy over there, and keep the Koa Kea pool area and bar less populated. Also, there aren’t as many of the wild chickens walking around Koa Kea.

At the pool, there was never an issue trying to get a lounge chair. I think it helps that they have a policy that if you try to save lounge chairs, but aren’t actively there for 30 minutes, they will do something about it. And they actually monitor that. The pool was surrounded with sets of chairs, where each set had a little table and an umbrella. So you didn’t have to awkwardly drag umbrellas or tables around. (There are also lounge chairs in a grassy area overlooking the beach, if you’re not into hanging around a pool. Those don’t have umbrellas. But they are perfect for watching the sunset or gazing at the stars after the sun goes down).
One thing that I’d never seen was that each poolside table has a little box, where you hit a button in the box if you want service, and the pool server promptly comes over and attends to you. A lot of times service at a pool can be incredibly slow, but they were super responsive, and it didn’t take long for food and drinks to be turned around.

We had both breakfast and dinner at the hotel restaurant. Pricey, but very good. I’ve lived in some of the best foodie cities for a decade, and I have very high standards. And it was legit quality. I’m very critical of service errors and shortcomings, and I didn’t even get annoyed once! For convenience, it’s great that this is there and doesn’t dominate the vibe of everything else at the hotel.

The room cleaning service was not disruptive. It’s like they keep a watchful eye to ensure that you never run into them while your room is being cleaned. I loved that, because sometimes it can be so awkward and uncomfortable.

This isn't “in your face” luxury. It isn't a resort. But it is lovely and well-kept. The staff and overall operations were fantastic. I don’t have any recommendations or areas where I think that there need to be improvements. I appreciated that they had a place for us to comfortably shower after we checked out of room and hung out at the pool all day.

We found a great deal and stayed here at a discounted rate. Keep in mind that there is a daily resort fee that is paid on top of the standard room rate. I’m not sure how a higher price would impact whether or not I stay here vs. somewhere else the next time that I’m here. But I had a great trip and didn’t get annoyed once at the hotel staff or something else about the hotel, which is virtually impossible if you know me. I will be on the look out for deals so that I can stay here again without destroying my budget.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank vanillachalk
Reviewed 5 November 2018

We've been to Koa Kea since 1985 (Poipu Beach Hotel then) and now it is part of the Meritage Collection with new management doing a great job of making every guest their top priority. Their friendliness and attention to every detail is evident. I love the new Fresh Products in the bathrooms and their wonderful Frette linens make for such a great night's sleep. Their private beach is wonderful as the water is so clear to see every fish around. During the day, we would be served fresh fruit smoothies while on the lounge chairs. Complimentary chair massages was a treat too. Loved the new fire pits around the bar area to enjoy the rest of the evening outside. We commend the new ownership for retaining the quality staff who we look forward to seeing each year. They even had a cocktail party by the pool one night to introduce the staff and general manager, Jack Slim. Jamie, Jessa, Erin make the best Mai Tais at the pool bar, and of course, Justin is a master creator of Sushi at night in the Red Salt Bar. Paul, the Food and Beverage Manager makes the dining room run smoothly. Chef Noelani has some very creative dishes too. We had Lobster Gnocchi that was creamy with big chunks of lobster and the Lamb Chops were so tender. The breakfasts were a treat too. The Lobster Eggs Benedict with Mango Hollandaise was incredible. Koa Kea is a magical place!

Room tip: Every room has something to offer whether it's a lovely garden view or ocean view looking over the manicured lawn and out to the ocean.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

We loved our stay here even though we were under threat from a possible hurricane. The staff is really nice and helpful while the location is great. There are 2 beaches within a 2 minute walk. We had a great view and got to watch the surfers right from our balcony. Since we were on a romantic getaway it was nice there weren’t too many kids. Overall, it was a great experience. Negatives: the restaurant, was definitely overpriced for what you get, and the poolside drinks were expensive with no available happy hour. Walk like 1 min down the beach to find more affordable drinks or take the Aloha Spirit shuttle to find better food.

Date of stay: August 2018