“Incredible Massage, but facilities lacking a bit for the price”
Review of Anara Spa

Anara Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Spas & Wellness in Poipu
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest spa on Kauai, Anara Spa blends Hawaiian traditions with the enigmatic and soothing powers of nature to create the ultimate in relaxation. The open-air environment maximizes Kauai’s exceptional climate. Relax pool side, enjoy steam sauna and whirlpools before a treatment. Experienced therapists offer massage, body and facial treatments in private rooms or hale (thatched-roof huts) each opening to its own tropical garden. Full service salon features everything for your hair and nail needs. Weekly and monthly passes are available for fitness center and fitness class access. With open-air elegance and new features Anara Spa provides a Hawaiian spa experience like no other.
Tucson
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Incredible Massage, but facilities lacking a bit for the price”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The massage I received was absolutely fantastic. I got an 80 minute lomi lomi and the masseuse also added hot stones. I was butter by the end of it.

The facilities, however, were not so great. For the price, I expected a gold treatment, all the way around, but that was not my experience. Instead, I found that neither of the hot tubs by the lap pool were working. This prevented my wife and I from hitting the jacuzzi together before and after our treatments. This was a bit disappointing because that was one thing we had actually planned on doing as part of the spa experience.

The other thing that was lacking a bit was the service. By coincidence, I stepped into the mens locker area at nearly the same time as another gentleman. The attendant, I believe, took this as an opportunity to do the "tour" of the facilities as a group, which I found to be horribly awkward. I've been in many spas before, and have never had this happen.

After I changed and went into the waiting area to wait for my treatment, the attendant and another (secondary/backup) attendant were in the waiting area, too. Rather then just chatting quietly and keeping their conversation to a minimum, one guy was going on about what he had for lunch and how it made him nauseous. That really wasn't what I wanted or expected to hear while I was paying to relax.

Additionally, later, when I couldn't find the skin lotion (I later learned it was not at the sink, but on a different countertop elsewhere within the mens room), the primary was nowhere to be found. After a few minutes, I did find the secondary attendant, but he didn't know the answer to my question and also had to wait for the primary attendant to return and show him.

I also recall that there were no hair brushes, only combs. I'm a brush guy, and even though I don't love all the throwaway products that are typically in higher-end spas, for rare times that I do visit them, I expect these types of things to be there, especially when I'm paying top dollar.

One other thing that was a bit of an issue was the location of the spa. It takes a good 5+ minutes of walking from the lobby to get there. This is most likely typically not a problem for most people, but when we went, my wife had left her swimsuit in our car, which was had been valeted. So, hoofing it back-and-forth to and from the lobby, plus a quick trip with a valet out to our car, cost me nearly 15 minutes of precious pre-treatment time.

In the interest of ending this review on a good note, I'd like to point out two really awesome features of the spa. First, much of the spa is indoor/outdoor. So, whether you're in the mens waiting area, or out by the lap pool, you can see the sky, feel the breeze, and maybe even the rain. This greatly adds to the experience. The other great feature was the lava rock shower. This also was sans roof and, on the day I was there, I could see puffy white clouds and patches of blue sky when I looked up while showering. That was way cool.

All in all, even with the hiccups mentioned above, this was a good experience. The massage was just so incredible, and the facilities, for the most part, were top notch. It's hard to think that I wouldn't go back if I were in Kauai again.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Steve_In_Tucson

seattle, wa
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“great day of relaxation”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Myself and two girlfriends spent an extremely relaxing day here. We got the tropical pedicures and they were great, then you get to use the facilities all day which was delightful! We arrived in the morning and virtually had the place to ourselves. As the day progressed it got busier but it was still very relaxing. We ordered lunch poolside and enjoyed the spas, pool, outdoor showers and steam room. Very worth the money if you can spend the day there!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank seattlesuzanna
Minneapolis, Minnesota
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Visited Spa while staying on property. Had a massage and was lucky to get an outdoor cabana. Private, 3-sided cabana. You could hear the ocean, birds, water feature.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank susan b
South Padre Island, Texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Wonderful Massage”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I had a GREAT massage at the Hyatt Anara Spa from Ty (Tyrone). Request him. I had an 80 minute very relaxing perfect massage. The facility is great. It was VERY hot in the waiting area but the temperature in my room for my massage was great. Friendly staff!

Visited September 2013
California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“WOW!! I mean seriously, holy smokes!”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had in my life. Be warned, it's expensive. My partner and I did the couples retreat. It took the better part of four hours to complete. It started by changing into robes and sandals and sitting in a completely open pitched roof cabana where we enjoyed the beautiful greenery around us, snacked on dried mango and coconut, drank water, and relaxed before our attendant came to get us. We are two men and nobody batted an eye that we were there for the Lovers Retreat.

Our attendant came and ushered us into a private outdoor area and instructed us how to use apply the exfoliating scrub to one another under a giant outdoor shower, followed up with a nourishing mud treatment. it was wonderful.

Next she put some salts and lotion into a beautiful outdoor bathtub that sits in the shade of some palm trees and we soaked for about 30 minutes. Now we were squeaky clean and my skin was softer than I think it's ever been.

We then went in for our hour long massages. The massage was thorough and pretty good. Not the best I've had but definitely not the worst. It was relaxing to just sit in the beautiful cabanas surrounded by tall palms and flowers.

After the massage we went in for our facials. At this point I feel asleep. It was so relaxing!! Lots of lotions and creams and more massaging. I had what the attendant called Spa-Ghetti by the time I was done.

The staff is super friendly and the environment is chill. Very quiet. They do have a clothing optional section so beware if this makes you uncomfortable. For us it was perfect and you are so relaxed you don't even notice there are other people around you. It's like being enveloped in a soft pink bubble of Hawaiian flavored cotton candy.

Visited September 2013