We enjoyed our 8-night stay at this small, lovely resort situated on a wonderful beach. We were in building 6, on the third floor of a garden view room. Velvet who checked us in (with her trainer by her side) was friendly and efficient. Our housekeeper, Mila, was diligent and friendly as well.
We didn't have high expectations after reading a few of the reviews of the garden-view rooms, so we weren't at all disappointed. Also, our plans were to be outdoors all day, so the room was really just a place to sleep and shower. If you want a pampered or luxurious experience, I would not recommend buildings 3 - 8.
Rooms: Room 6308, clean and big enough for the two of us who were primarily using the room as a place to rest our heads between hiking, swimming and snorkeling. Comfortable king bed in this room with soft linens and two types of pillows provided. The sliding doors are squeaky, so they will disturb you from your sleep as others wonder in and out from the balcony. The tub area could use an overhaul; the vent and other metal surfaces are either rusting or covered in mineral buildup. Not a big deal to me, though.
Beach: Offers soft sand and great swimming with gentle waves in the winter. For *intermediate* to *advanced* snorkelers (do not want people to get cut up by reef or have them panic and stand up on delicate coral), the snorkeling on the right side (as you look out on the water, where the rocks are located) of the beach offers great snorkeling when the water is calm. Same for Poipu Beach Park. Schools of large fish were on the far right side of the beach (in front of Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club), not by the tombolo. Surfers usually take up this space, so be aware.
Pool and pool area: On the smallish side, but its size made it feel more intimate and friendly. One wavy pool, with hot tub, and kid's pool.
Staff: All had the Aloha spirit -- always quick to smile. Thanks to Mila, Velvet and Sandy for their great service.
Restaurants: Lava's had pretty standard fare. Salads, tacos, and fish entrees. Rum Fire offered pizza in addition to other standard "American" food. Decent not great. The service was attentive and friendly. Would be nice if they offered Hawaiian fare. Resort prices.
Fitness Center: Clean, fairly large, well lit with ocean view. Two elliptical machines, half dozen treadmills, full rack of dumbbells (up to 50 pounds), two types of bikes and a cable-system all over body machine. Mats, water, and towels provided.
Property: Not the grand landscaping you would normally see at a resort hotel, but you can see that it is lovingly maintained. In no way was it disappointing... you're on Kauai for goodness sake. The sunsets on this hotel cannot be beat due to its location right the beach facing SW.
Good to know:
1. Ice machines are located on the northeast end of the garden view buildings, on the odd-numbered floors. Book accordingly, so you're not right next to one.
2. If you are more of a self-service person, and are using this place as a motel, building three is the closest to the self-parking lot with buildings four, five, etc., being farther away.
3. Their restaurants, Rum Fire and Lava's, are not open every day. Be sure to check the hours, so you can plan for food outside the premises and ensure you make it there in time as most restaurants in town close early.
4. For those celebrating an anniversary, the complimentary "champagne" is a sparkling wine out of California. Too sweet. Save yourself the wait -- and the spike in glucose -- and get some champagne at the restaurant or buy your own from Big Save.
5. The 30.00+ tax resort fee does not go out to the service staff. Be sure to tip your housekeeper!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious Sheraton Kauai Resort on Poipu Beach in Hawaii has the Hawaiian Rainforest Spa, water sports, two pools, a weekly Auli'i Luau, and 50,000 sq ft of indoor/outdoor meeting and event space ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sheraton Kauai Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Kauai Hotel Poipu
- Sheraton Poipu
- Poipu Sheraton
- Sheraton Kauai Resort Poipu, Hawaii