“Great hotel in good location”

Sheraton Kauai Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Westborough, Massachusetts
“Great hotel in good location”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Deluxe ocean front room is fantastic. Nice pool and right on the beach. Good amenities and great sunset views from their cove. Service is really good. Short drive to many things including Old Town Koloa and Spouting Horn.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (885)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We celebrated our 50th anniversity at the Sheraton Kauai for eight days and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The view from our oceanfront room was amazing and the breakfast buffet at the Lava restaurant was great. The bottle of champaign and the chocolate covered strawberries were a welcoming surprise, compliments of the resort. It was a perfect vacation!

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms have wonderful views of the ocean and beach.
Green Features: We were pleased to know that the hotel recycles glass, aluminum and glass.
4 Thank Larry B
montreal
Reviewed 13 April 2014

After reading the reviews on trip advisor, I almost regretted having booked this hotel. Well, from the warm welcome of the doorman and valet, we did enjoy our stay at this hotel. We had a deluxe ocean front room with a breathtaking view, day and night. The room was comfortable, not palatial but the decor fits a beach location. It was clean, bug free... and the air con functioned perfectly. Maybe the carpet is a bit used, the bathroom may not be designed to the most recent standards, but again, we were here for the location and looking at the prices charged for 4 stars hotels in Kauai I believe this hotel presents a good value for money.
We enjoyed the coffee shop in the lobby, had the buffet breakfast at Lava's but found it expensive and not really great. We had one diner at Rum Fire their gourmet restaurant, we enjoyed the service and the food but again a bit on the expensive side. The beach is fantastic, unfortunately the cabanas rental is quite steep, One suggestion, try to provide more shade around the pool.
We wanted to leave the hotel at the end of the afternoon and were offered the use of a hospitality suite to shower and change, much appreciated. If you stay at this hotel, make sure you reserve a deluxe oceanfront room, which guarantees that you will be on the ocean side and not across the road in buildings that looked a little sad. Finally, great restaurants are located at a walking distance, some at two small malls and the beautiful Plantation Gardens located literally next to the Sheraton.

Room Tip: do invest on a deluxe ocean front you will not regret it
1 Thank voyageurbear
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Kauai for 2 nights after staying a week at the westin princeville. We arrived and the SPG gold reconition is awesome here you get free valet for your entire stay a free drink, and a free wine tasting at rum fire during happy hour, we had a deluxe ocean front room on the 4th floor but no upgrade, are bags arrived in our room after an hour we called once and it didn't come for another half an hour. The first night we found an ant not a big deal but the second night we found this weird beetle if we have stayed longer I would've asked for a different room but we were checking out the next day, the pool was fine it was a bit crowded though but we rented a beach cabana. I would stay here again to get more points, i would've gave this a hotel a 3 and a half stars if I could

Room Tip: If you have booked a deluxe ocean front room when you check in ask for a room not facing the pool as...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My brother and I stayed in room 1216-DBL Deluxe Ocean Room. The review: "Excellent service, great all around", just below is an excellent review. As I have just returned home, 1 day ago-I am kind of shocked at other recent reviews of this hotel.

This was my brother's first time to Hawaii, I brought him to help look at properties and show him this Amazing island. This hotel's location was key in our week long adventure.

For us: The staff was very pleasant and very good at their jobs. The grounds of hotel-the stuff dreams are made of.

Our room-The A/C worked great, carpet was a bit worn, but not offensive. We loved our lanai, we were on second floor so it was large and the view was stunning. From whale watching, boats, sunsets-there was even a small wedding held on the grass below us one day-not obtrusive, just a very sweet service with an amazing view for the newlyweds.

We paid for Valet Parking daily, it was just easier for us and we got to chat with staff more. A rental car is a must for this location, unless you are going stay in the immediate area. We explored the island everyday.

Restaurants: We didn't go to Rum Fire-gourmet cuisine, mainly because we ate dinner in local restaurants. We did eat once at Lava's for breakfast buffet, for the cost at $25 each, it wasn't a great representation, but others seemed to enjoy-the menu had nice options. The place we ate the most was the Café by the reception area. Great sandwiches (breakfast and lunch type), pizza and fruit cups. Espresso drinks, baked goods and a very friendly staff. Closes from 1:30-4 daily, so plan accordingly.

Pool: We didn't use, I have one at home but, the ocean pool was great especially for those with children. There were plenty of chairs and towels for folks and if you need water fun equipment they have on site rentals too-Or, if you resent a charge, carry it from home with you.

The best place to sit: there are several places to sit and absorb the view throughout the property, but the fire-pit seating by the Rum Fire restaurant, especially in the evening is a nice touch.

Accommodations and Spa services across the street-We didn't use so I'm unable to review.

Overall: we had an excellent experience at this resort-I especially stayed here because of its proximity on the island, which was centrally located for the exploring we did. For us, visiting the nearby towns, markets and eating locally is a vacation. I expect to visit this resort often, especially when I bring more family/friends. It's close to the National Tropical Botanical Gardens, Puka Dog :) and is lovely.

Also, we are regular folks (not old/not young) with good manners and are very courteous to everyone-especially staff. I think it took them a couple days to get used to us being so friendly, which is a shame. I may be on vacation but I don't leave my respect for others at home when I travel, but I am not a doormat either, if I had needed assistance I would have asked. I also don't go somewhere with unrealistic demands and if you have a complaint, be nice in asking for change-but, always be prepared to pack up and move if a hotel cannot meet your standards. This hotel met our expectations and then some.

Room Tip: If you want the view:Pay for Deluxe Ocean Front Room-We had room #1216, 2nd floor. The lanai just be...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2014

o I had my wedding ceremony at the Ocean Point site at the Sheraton Kauai in June 2013. I spent several months looking at pictures, wedding websites, reading reviews, asking questions, etc before deciding on my wedding venue and ultimately decided on having my ceremony here. I live in Chicago, IL and it’s scary planning a wedding from 5000 miles away without ever actually seeing the place in person. Nevertheless, everything was beautiful and exactly how I wanted it to be. The resort and ceremony location were just as beautiful as they were in the pictures and I was very happy with my decision. The only negative that I would say about them is that their wedding coordinators were not the best. In the year that I was planning my wedding, I worked with 3 different wedding coordinators. While they were helpful when I did hear from them, they were terrible at getting back to me. With a 5 hour time difference and their atypical work schedules, it was very difficult to get in touch with them on the phone, so we did a lot of the planning over email. More often than not, it took them weeks to get back to me on my questions and often required multiple follow up emails. This made the whole process even more stressful, because it’s not like you can just drive over there. It’s frustrating because you’re relying on them to do all this stuff for you and then you can’t get in touch with them to find out if they’re even doing any of it. To make matters worse, the 2nd coordinator I work with had just disappeared a few months before my wedding. I finally found out just a few weeks before my wedding (by calling hotel management) that she had left the resort but nobody had contacted me to tell me. They put me in touch with another lady who was just filling in to help me wrap things up. It turned out that the 2nd lady hadn’t done a lot of the things she said she had done (big things like ordering flowers and the musician….) leaving this 3rd lady scrambling to get everything done in time. Even though she was not an actual wedding coordinator, she ended up doing a better job than either of the other 2 ladies and everything turned out perfect. Pricewise, they were a little more expensive than I probably would have liked to pay, but still reasonable (though I have noticed that they seem to have jacked up their prices a bit since I booked mine in 2012). Overall, I am very happy with how my wedding turned out and I would definitely recommend the Sheraton Kauai to anyone looking to have a destination wedding in Hawaii (or just visiting!).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Sheraton is excellent value for the money. We are still here but are so impressed that I am writing this review two days before our departure. If anything changes significantly, I will update this post, but I have a sneaking suspicion I will not need to. Details...

1. Grounds

The grounds on this property are not large. As others have described, the property is divided, with some rooms across the street and others on the Oceanside. I'm qualifying this review as we have an oceanfront room and I have not been to the other side of the property. As I said, the grounds are not large, but are immaculate. I have been to properties where the beach has refuse on it or are otherwise obviously not maintained. This is not the case at the Sheraton. Every piece of grass is clipped, there are no weeds, everything is truly maintained in excellent fashion.

The pool is not large but more than adequate and well-designed. The hot tub has a lift for persons with physical disabilities so that they can still get into and out of the whirlpool. The pool is oceanfront; there are large cabanas for rent but also cabana/beach chairs available right on the beach. It is a wonderful swimming beach and, again, has been very well-maintained.

There is an abundance of beach chairs around the pool; there has never been an occasion where I've walked by and not seen some available. As for the issue of beachtowels, I don't know what a recent reviewer is speaking of. We have taken beachtowels virtually every day; not once has there been a hole in a beach towel. Not only has not been holes, they are thick, colorful, and clearly not faded. They are reasonably new. Similarly, I have walked by many beach chairs were towels are present or folks are walking around wearing towels; not once I observed a hole in any towel anywhere.

Not sure where the reviews about the hotel being quoted "in desperate need of an update" are coming from. All of the exterior grounds are updated. There is a brand-new carpet in all public areas; lots of seating which is all in good condition; and, again, the grounds are immaculate. Maybe this isn't the case on the other side of the road, but all the public areas are on this side.

Room:

We booked at deluxe oceanfront room. Our room directly overlooks the rocks and provides incredible views of the sunset every night. We were able to observe whales breaching off our balcony last night and Saturday watch for quite a while.

The room is reasonably updated save in a couple of areas. The decor is nothing to write home about, but the furniture is in good shape. The closet is double-sided and accessible from both the bedroom side and from the double sink area of the bathroom. The toilet and bath tub/shower are divided by way of a sliding pocket door which is quite heavy. The bathtub is large and deep. It is designed for soaking though not as large as a hot tub.

There is a small refrigerator and coffee maker in the room and many plugs in order to plug in various devices (although not always in the most convenient location). The requisite room safe is also present. The only downside to the room is that, although the closet is quite large, there are only three small drawers available to store clothing. There is a shelf running the entire width of the closet, however, so there is room to fold items like jeans, etc. up there. The air conditioning is set on a thermostat and works extremely well. We have noticed no musty smells or any other difficulty in that regard.

The carpeting is getting worn; there are places where it is clearly becoming somewhat loose. The bathtub also could use reglazing but is far from being in terrible condition.

The room is immaculate. There are no difficulties with cleanliness in the bathroom, in the main part of the room, or out on the lanai. The floor of the lanai is so clean that you can walk on it barefoot.

The first floor lanai is a walk out type; the second floor lanai is quite large and overlooks the entirety of the lanai below. The third floor lanai (we have a third-floor room) is not as large and, accordingly, we are able to look down and see part of the lanai underneath us. It is not, accordingly, completely private on the second floor. The fourth floor lanai is the same size as the third and, so, the only lanai which is not completely private (visually) is the second floor one. The sidewalls extends to the very end of the lanai so you can't see the people on either side unless they are leaning over the railing. The two chairs and side table on the lanai are also extremely clean. We have been on the lanai virtually every day in white bathrobes and not had any difficulty – the bathrooms have remained spotless.

Location:

As others have posted, the location of this hotel cannot be beat. The beachfront location is ideal; more importantly, however, there are a number of amenities and restaurants within easy walking distance. There is also a hotel shuttle which will drop you off and pick you up within a Ritz short radius (is I think a couple of miles) seas. This allows you to attend all restaurants in close proximity without having to take out your car. We've used several times and had no difficulties.

Wireless Internet:

Although I agree that charging for a daily resort community is not ideal, I recognize that in this economy it is necessary to do so. We are using the wireless Internet daily; although others have reported difficulty with the wireless Internet we have had no difficulty with our iPhones/iPads - the signal has been very strong. Cell phone reception has been spotty inside the room but it's fine closer to the window and on the lanai.

Bugs:

We were very concerned as a result of the reviews with respect to bugs. I am happy to report that we have not had an issue with roaches or any thing else. We did have a few small flies coming up through one of the dreams in the bathroom sink; one telephone call to the front desk and the problem was immediately resolved and there hasn't been an issue since. This is a tropical environment, bugs are a fact of life. There is a reason cockroaches have survived since the time of the dinosaurs. In my view it is how the establishment deals with the bugs that is the issue. As indicated, there have been absolutely no bugs in our room, on our lanai, or even visible on the grounds. The info book left in the room does ask that folks close the sliding door to their lanai after sunset because the light attracts bugs; perhaps this did not occur with the guest prior to guests who have arrived and found cockroaches in their room.

Service:

The reason I'm giving this group view of the hotel five stars is the service. We had a number of requests when we booked the room (a higher floor, a feather-free room, a room away from the pool). By no means is any guest guaranteed to have their requests fulfilled, a fact of which we are more than aware. I did reconfirm those requests prior to arriving at the hotel and, because we were arriving late at night, ask that the feather free be ready upon our arrival. I have literally never had the feather free room ready when I arrived, no matter how late it was, and no matter what I did in advance – save at this hotel.

Customer service has been pleasant and friendly at all times, and extremely solicitous. Staff have gone out of their way – from the Bellman, housekeeping, the concierge, and the front desk staff to accommodate our requests and make our stay more comfortable. For example, we requested clean bathrobes and more towels a couple of days ago. Not only where the bathrobes delivered promptly (in the evening, a time which I have found to be busy) the front desk called back to ensure that we had actually received them. I've been to five star rated hotels that have never been nearly as conscientious.

While I am sure that, at times, service may fall short in any establishment, when I hear and read comments about terrible customer service at any establishment, and then my experience and what I observe in terms of staff interactions with others are completely different, I also wonder how guests treat the staff. If you want to receive good service, treat people with kindness and respect. In other words treat staff as you would want to be treated if you were receiving a guest into your home. Tip staff appropriately - their making a living wage is dependent on those tips.

Overall, the hotel is quiet and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Book oceanfront and request a higher floor - if you like quiet, one away from the pool.
2 Thank lailafromwpg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,244 reviews
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!