“Far superior to hotel room”

Koloa Landing Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Logan, Utah, United States
“Far superior to hotel room”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My family just completed a stay for one week with hurricane worries at the end which never materialized. Our unit is configured as a luxury condo with three nice bedrooms, though definitely a master bedroom, and three equally nice bathrooms. There is a very nice and useable kitchen, more storage than really needed for vacation stays, and there is a nice living area with a comfortable dining area and living room. The lanai is beautiful with a great deal of space, nice views of the pool and ocean though it is in the distance. The sliding doors open fully to really bring the outdoors inside. Overall, this felt much more like a home than a couple of hotel rooms and allowed our family quality time together as well as privacy if needed. The only issue is the beach is a good distance away though definitely walkable (about 1 mile). On the other hand, there is a very nice shopping area very close with good restaurants and nice, though expensive, market.

Room Tip: Units are generally similar though there is an advantage to the upper floors.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Colleyville Tx
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I booked this "Grand Resort" in April. When we arrived in the evening, they didn't have my ocean view room that I booked and paid for. All they could offer me was a ground floor, resort view (Construction fence) It was extremely upsetting to me after researching on Trip Advisor and reviewing all the different options we had. I just couldn't understand how they could sell me a room and when I get there, it's sold out. What's the point of a reservation then?
After about 20 minutes of extreme aggravation and trying to come up with plan b (meaning we would try to find another hotel for the night), magically a 3 bedroom ocean view appeared on the computer. I booked in April at at 30% discount and we think they didn't want to give us this room because they thought they could get more $ for it.
So we get into building 9, top floor, ocean view. It was dark so we didn't see the view until the morning.
Viola....there's the ocean, but a nasty view of undeveloped property and a fence and power lines.
Everyone has commented on the amenities the rooms have so I won't repeat. Yes they are beautiful, but the furniture is already worn, carpet was filthy, pots in the cupboard were dirty.
We were here for 7 nights and it was too long. There are some nice qualities about this place, but I won't stay here again and if I recommend it to anyone, there would be a lot of warnings.
I should have taken the clue when I call Wyndham and was on hold two separate times for more than 20 minutes, trying to arrange for food to be delivered to the hotel before our arrival. I don't know what the connection is between Wyndham, but it was very poor customer service from the get go.
"Business center" is a computer in the lobby with a printer that doesn't work.
I hate to be a Debby Downer, because after all, you are in Kauai and these are really first world problems. I just wanted to give honest feedback.

Room Tip: Don't bother with ocean view. If that is important to you, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lgar88
KoloaLandingResort, Director of Sales at Koloa Landing Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Aloha Lgar88,

You are absolutely not a Debby Downer! We appreciate the honest feedback; it's what helps us become a better resort. Let me see if I can address all of your points.

Regarding your trouble with getting in touch with someone to arrange for food to be delivered to your Villa, we have taken action. We recently put in place a digital concierge system that allows our guests to make all these requests electronically right when they book. We have a small but nimble staff and when our concierge request volume gets high, wait times increase. The digital concierge was our answer to that problem and is being received very well so far.

Thank you for mentioning the fantastic amenities in our Villas. We are proud of having the largest and newest Villas on Kauai. We make every effort to keep them as clean as possible. Since your stay, we have extracted the carpet from the Villa you were in and performed a deep cleaning.

I am glad you were able to get into an ocean view Villa but want to apologize for any difficulties you had with the reservation. We have even been in talks with the county about putting the power lines underground, but at this point it's a bit out of our control.

Mahalo for all your feedback and for staying with us. We value our guests and their opinions.

-Kris
Koloa Landing Resort

PS - We are looking at purchasing a new printer for the business center so we can have two just in case one goes down.
Maarssen
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Let's start off with saying that I definitely recommend this place. We had a beautiful apartment with a living, two bed rooms and two bathrooms. The apartment is very well equipped. The kitchen has really everything you need. Barbecues are available on the resort.
There are two beautiful pools. The resort is maintained very well and looks lovely. Some apartments might have a view over the new development (hmmmm). We were in building six, ground floor and overlooked the pool. The staff are very friendly and deliver an high quality of service. Restaurants and supermarket are near by.
This and the location on the most beautiful island I have ever seen have made this to a dream holiday

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dietmar G
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed 6 nights during July in this fantastic resort. Got an upgrade from a normal oceanview suite to an even bigger corner suite with 270 degrees wonderful view. Everything is new and very well done - suites are big - 220 m2 + 120 m2 terrasse in our case. Very friendly staff who did everything to make our stay pleasant. Wonderful pool area.
Since this is an Apartment complex - you might miss a restaurant or a bar, but there are plenty good ones around (5 mins drive). Dont miss the Catamaran trips to the Napali coast with stunning views. Diving is great - on 2 dives from Koloa Landing we saw 8 turtles (recommended: FathomFive divers). Poipu Beach - a Monk Seal was sleeping all day and the Beach is perfect for kids + great snokeling.
Would go again - can fully recommend!!

Room Tip: Book an oceanview room and pay the extra Money - it´s worth the Money spend
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DK-Gentofte-PN
California
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Just returned after a 3 night stay at Koloa landing. When we arrived we were greeted with leis and knowledgeable staff. From housekeeping to management, everyone was responsive and kind. The people on this island have True aloha spirit! Ashley would great us with a smile every morning as we went to the Marketplace for breakfast which was very convenient. We played for hours at the lagoon pool and relaxed by the adult pool. We even had the pool to ourselfs once. They have soccer nets, vollyball area and a very small putting green. The Rooms are out of this world with top of the line appliances and everything you need for prepairing meals. The beds were perfect just like our stay. Washer and dryer at your finger tips. Talk of construction in the near future. I will be returning. Check out this hotel, the rooms are amazing and very large!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were traveling to Hawaii for the first time with our family. Since we were 5 I would have has to book two rooms at the Hyatt or similar hotels. When I found this property on Trid Asvisor it seems great, the pictures showed the view of the ocean from a corner room. I knew it was a short walk to the beach but figured it would be fine. It was not. We paid for an ocean view and were placed in building 9, closest to the beach. Our second floor unit was beautiful but overlooked a construction fence at what I guess will soon be the site of a new building. The staff was friendly but you have to drive to a beach where you can swim. This facility is now cheap. I wish I had paid the extra hundred and stayed at the Hyatt.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Kathleen K
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Overall this is an amazing condominium/Hotel. We stayed in their 3Bdrm floor plan and it was huge, well appointed, clean with plenty of room for a family of 4 (it could accommodate 8 if you wanted to use the foldout in the living room). The master suite and bath were bigger than most hotel rooms and much better appointed. The kitchen and full dining area was top notch as well.

Pros: Well appointed, clean, great Kitchen and amazing Master suite, Staff friendly, resort was secluded and quiet (barring a few wild chickens). Walking distance to beach, and a dozen restaurants with lots of choice.
Cons: No restaurant (small grill good but limited), Fitness center very nice but a little small. Not beachfront, but very close to the ocean. There is still construction going on, but we never heard it.

Overall, this is a wonderful resort and I would highly recommend it. I wouldn't give it 5 stars because we were supposed to get a partially obstructed view room and what we got was a very nice end unit with no view at all on the first floor.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the first floor, there is no barrier between your lanai and the grounds. Corner suit...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,244 reviews
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Koloa Landing Resort? Share your experiences!