“Great Family Vacation”

Ranked #2 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Poipu
Fremont, California
“Great Family Vacation”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had a memorable family vacation at the Outrigger. We had two - 1 bedroom garden view condos, they were adjacent to each other, as requested earlier by us. My favorite part was the landscaping at the resort and its proximity to the beach. A

The staff was friendly. The units were clean. We did have some uninvited visitors, but the staff took care of the pest immediately.

Overall very peaceful and laid back (like the rest of the island). We would go again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our 5th year wedding anniversary. It was my first time to the island and I was thrilled we stayed here.

The resort is right on the beach and centrally located to shops, restaurants, and near by attractions. It is about 20 minutes from the airport

This is a beautiful and charming property. Plenty of mature lush trees, manicured lawns, flowers, koi ponds, and wild birds. The rooms are comfortable and cozy. They are equipped with full kitchens which is imperative if you want to save some money and not eat out for every meal. There is no air conditioning, so if you come during the hot months, I suggest a corner unit like we had, which has more windows and more breeze.

There is a "towel & equipment" hut right on the beach so you don't have to bring snorkel gear or towels down with you.

There is a coin laundry facility on-site, $2.50 per wash, $2.50 per dry and $1 for a single use detergent.

The pool is located across the road, but it was under construction so we didn't get to enjoy it. I understand the property is under new management so they may be in the process of making updates through out the property. I didn't mind, but the kitchen and bathroom could definitely use some modernization, if I had to make any critiques.

Right across the road is a fantastic shopping center that has a general store, a Starbucks, clothing shops, jewelry shops, and a few restaurants.

I highly recommend this resort and will likely stay here again. It is a great value and I really enjoyed staying here.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Denise C
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
I hope that you come back soon, and stand ready to assist you if needed in setting up that return stay.

Mahalo and aloha,

Roy Thompson
Pleasant Grove, Utah, Usa
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We stayed in Building 20 unit 134. We loved the fact that this building was in the middle of the development away from the road, parking lots and restaurant. It was probably the quietest or all the buildings. We loved the big open grassy areas and lush vegetation on the grounds. The BBQs were awesome and spread throughout the development. They were always clean. The beach was fabulous and we enjoyed our time there. Towels and beach chairs were free and readily available at the rental shack by the beach. Our unit was nice and we loved having breakfast on the lanai with all our little bird friends.

My recommendation...read all the reviews and see if these condos are right for you! Especially click on the link that tells you about specific room or unit suggestions. And look at the pictures for each individual unit. We rented from the owners on VRBO.com and that worked out good for us. Be aware there are two management companies running these units...Castle and Outrigger. The unit we rented was under Castle...they were great--I don't know what would be different with Outrigger.

Unless you have kids or can't do stairs, I strongly recommend not being on the ground floor. We couldn't leave the sliding doors open at night for security reasons and the breeze isn't as good on ground level...so we were a little warm. There is NO air conditioning in these units...which wasn't too bad for comfort level with the breezes, but was a huge issue for noise and privacy!!!

As I said, we were in probably the most quiet building there...and still we heard every little noise. People walking by the open bedroom windows (the louvered windows were secure to leave open) at midnight just talking is very disturbing when you're sound asleep. Also, at night with any lights on and the windows open...you can see everything!! Even the bathroom could be viewed through the window above the shower or from the side family room window!! And closing them was not an option or we would have gotten hot fast. So if you want privacy for a romantic getaway, you definitely don't want to be on the ground floor.

The buildings closer to the beach were very nice but be aware that there always seems to be a lot more commotion on the lawn area and of course on the beach--so if you're looking for peace and quiet...our building set back a little further was better.

Be aware...no pool available at this time and housekeeping doesn't come in if you stay less than a week. We did have an issue with the BBQ not lighting one night around 7:00 pm and called the office and they immediately sent someone over to get it working.

I recommend you find a map of the building layout so you can decide which unit to stay in.

All in all a nice place to stay and we'd go back again...same building...but an upper floor!

Room Tip: Top floors quieter and cooler and more private; condos on the beach have more commotion happening on...
4 Thank G G
Mahalo for your review!

Roy Thompson
Tustin, California
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We opted for 2 bed partial ocean and were surprised by the size of the room. We were a family of 6 and had plenty of space. Ocean view was nice and we were near the pool across the street. Street noise wasn't a problem and the convenience of the pool was nice. It was a little strange using a pool not actually part of the property, but it was very kid friendly. We made full use of the barbecues which looked new and of great quality. There was no air conditioning, but the room was planned to take advantage of the trade winds and we were never really too hot, even in August. The only 2 complaints I would have would be the bedrooms were down stairs and living area and kitchen upstairs. It makes sense for the view, but is kind of upside down from what one normally sees. The other frustration was all the beautiful mangos in several large trees and no easy way to get them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank glen p
Clovis, California
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We traveled with some friends and each had our own one bedroom unit. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful from the front desk to the beach activity hut and the concierge to the grounds attendants. The garden and grounds are beautiful. Our unit was in building 22; a top floor corner partial ocean view unit. We liked this location because it was not all the way in the back by the road yet close enough to beach access. I can understand why someone would want a unit closer to the beach but it seemed like they may have had less privacy especially at night when you can easily see inside. Our unit was very clean and adequate for our needs. Some updating is probably due soon. Our friends had an ocean view unit in building 29, also a top floor corner unit. Theirs was more updated with newer carpet, granite countertops and a more recent paint job. They enjoyed overlooking the beach between KP and the Sheraton. It was a beautiful ocean view. When the Sheraton has their luau, you have great seats. Same for the surf lessons on the beach each morning.
My husband was concerned not having air conditioning would be a problem but it really wasn't with all the shutters allowing for air flow and some pretty powerful ceiling fans. Depending on the direction a unit faces, the afternoon sun can warm things up quite a bit.
Overall, for location and amenities this is a very comfortable beach front condominium property with several acres of lawn and gardens.
The on site restaurant was much nicer than we expected and the food and ambiance were great. Our friends require Starbucks daily so the shopping center with Starbucks directly across the street was handy.
I don't really understand the negative reviews abut the chickens since they are everywhere on the island, not just on this property. In fact, we ventured over to Princeville to the St. Regis for one night which is a very high end property and the roosters crowed there too.
I do agree that there can be differences in the upkeep and decor of the units. Our friends were more concerned about this than we were so they called directly to discuss their needs with Outrigger. As a result, they had a more updated unit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Californiagirl33
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We loved our condo at the Kiahuna Plantation - right on the water. Beautifully furnished, great beach, very convenient to some excellent restaurants. But we encountered the very scary cane spider - the size of your hand - on two instances, and that was very disturbing. Once in the bathroom, and a second time in the living room. It is huge - and jumps! I am terrified of spiders, so unfortunately I don't think I will return to this location - not unless I can be assured that this was a rare instance.

1 Thank ChristineandBob_12
United States
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was our second stay at Kiahuna Plantation. Last year we booked through Castle Resorts, this year through Outrigger. The only difference is who the owner of the condo goes with as a manager. Last year we paid for the upgraded royal garden view upon arrival and got a nice condo. This year we paid in advance for that and were out on the street where we were PRE upgrade last year. I did actually complain about this at the desk and was offered a new room but we declined because the condo we were in was renovated and an upstairs unit- which we wanted - the one they would move us to was on a lower level. They maintained that our street room was indeed an upgraded room and said I needed to request to be away from the street. So here's what I learned this time - booking through VRBO may be a little more expensive but it's worth knowing exactly where you'll be. If you go the cheaper route through Castle or Outrigger, you can only request that you get what you want and in my opinion having to spell it all out is ridiculous, we paid the upgrade, we wanted the upgrade - I shouldn't have to ask to have a royal garden view if I paid to have a royal garden view etc.
The property itself is older, some condos are renovated, some are not - you can't be sure what you are getting until you arrive. There are cockroaches, but I'm certain this goes with the territory of tropical climate - we saw about four. The condo was relatively clean though. I agree that the maid service is ridiculous. They actually forgot us the first time they were scheduled to come and ended up just dropping off towels. There is a fee for any additional cleaning services other than the towel exchange scheduled. You have to take out your own trash, sleep in the same sheets for the time you are there and keep your towels or wash them yourself. This lack of cleaning service is kind of irritating given that you pay a cleaning fee in your rental price.
The location is what brings us back, it is a very nice property near the best beaches and restaurants. We like the condo living so we can get our own groceries and prepare lunches and breakfasts for ourselves. I would definitely recommend the property but as I said in my other review last year, know where you are staying, research it, maybe book through VRBO. If you are unhappy in the room you are in, ask the front desk if there are other condos available, they were accommodating for us in that respect.

Room Tip: Check through VRBO and pay for the upgrades.
3 Thank Tlee34
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,243 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kiahuna Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!