“Good Stay”

Ranked #2 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Poipu
MIlwaukee, WI
“Good Stay”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed in building 18, unit 116 for a week. Overall, we were satisfied with our choice and had a very enjoyable stay. Some things to consider:

- No pool. Which shouldn't really matter. You're within an easy walk of several of the most beautiful beaches on Kauai, so why would you want to swim in a large, chlorinated bathtub? But if you do need a pool, stay elsewhere.

- Not all units are the same. Our's felt somewhat dated, but it was still perfectly nice, and had a more laidback "old Hawaii" feel than one of the newer resorts. "Partial ocean view" might mean you can only see a sliver of the ocean from your balcony, but the grounds are beautiful too. Some of the units really are ocean front/ocean view and these would be spectacular if you could get one. Our building was at the back of the resort, next to a busy road, so there was some noise from that. Plenty of parking.

- No windows. Though the balcony doors are glass, the rest of the windows consist of screens and heavy wooden shutters. This really gives the place a tropical, exotic feeling particularly when the birds are calling or its raining. It also means you can hear people talking nearby and the roosters when they start going off at 4 AM. I was worried about the roosters, and I really do think Kauai needs to thin the herd, but it ended up not being a big deal. The property has a fence and I didn't see any roosters inside it (plenty across the road though).

No housekeeping - In a week we got fresh towels once. But you know how to pick your towels off the floor and make your bed, right? If not, maybe try the Hyatt or the Sheraton.

Overall, a nice place for families to stay, and it was great to have a full kitchen for meals and snacks. If you book try to do it early and ask questions about your unit. A map of the property's units would be excellent to have and I'm kicking myself for not taking it with me...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank canea
GMofOutriggerKiahuna, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Canea,
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay.
Chris A. Gampon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
Chicago
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We have stayed at Kiahuna several times before and have always loved it. Previously we rented directly from the owners. This time we found he had sold the 2 br unit and he referred us to Castle. One of the previous reviewers stated these are timeshares. They are fully owned condos. So some are more updated than others. Our unit was lovely. Not brand new, but clean and fully appointed. We had a beautiful lanai and a view of the lagoon and the ocean. The grounds are magnificent and well maintained. Beautiful flowers, orchids, ginger and birds of paradise everywhere. We are beach people so we spent a lot of time there. Never have even seen the pool. There is no AC, but the trades keep everything comfortable. Now the negative, we always expect the roosters it is part of Kauai. However, the coqui frogs were unbearable. ALL NIGHT long. We were here for 8 nights and probably did not get on decent nights sleep. I don't know what can be done. I understand that they are working to eradicate them, but it is really a nuisance. Everyone we mentioned this to just smiled. Next time we will request a unit away from the lagoon. My recommendation it to ask for a condo Oceanside.

Room Tip: Ask for Oceanside condos. Stay away from the lagoon.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lmallo722
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights in December 2013. We had a partial ocean view room that was neat and tidy and had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. The gardens surrounding the property are stunning and very well maintained. Good location close to beach and shops. One down side was that there was no pool, it closed in September after I had already booked, I probably would have picked a different resort if I had of known that they were closing the pool indefinitely.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sheree W
Dear Sheree W,
We appreciate your review. We hope you enjoyed our beach and lawn area. Although, we don't offer a pool, we are perfectly situated on a the beach.
e Malama Pono,
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We rented a condo from VRBO direct from owner. As other people have noted, each condo is different, so you really have to do your homework when booking to make sure it's what you want. We liked our condo but found that a 1 bedroom unit with pullout couch was too cramped for our family of 4 (Kids age 1 & 4). We all actually ended up sleeping in the bedroom just because we didn't want to pull out / put back the couch every day. Next time we would definitely get a 2 bedroom.

In our unit I found the bathroom to be quite cramped, and had quite a musty smell. Of course, each unit is different, but again, do your homework. If the bathroom has been redone or updated, this will likely not be a problem.

One thing I highly dislike about renting direct from owner is the lack of fresh towels. They only gave us three big towels, 1 dishcloth and 1 tea towel. I requested more towels from the Castle office and they indicated I'd have to pay an extra fee. Our towels were supposed to last us until our next scheduled cleaning (weekly). I think that having an ample supply of fresh towels in a tropical country is a MUST. Drying off with a damp towel is not desirable. So if you rent direct from an owner, I would advise you inquire about this.

We had a peekaboo ocean view (through a hedge, over a couple roads), but next time we would look into getting a condo that faces the large, beautiful green space and ocean. Or pay the money and pick one of the condos that are directly oceanfront. The view just can't be beat!

The grounds of Kiahuna Plantation are just stunning! It's unfortunate there is no pool on site. I think they have enough space to put a pool in somewhere, it would really add to the resort feeling (I know lots of people will disagree with me on this.) We used the pool across the street and really enjoyed it, just wish it were part of the actual resort.

We loved the location. The beach in front is beautiful. Everything is walkable from this resort - it is a perfect location in the Poipu Beach area. We will definitely stay here again, will just try a different condo.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank trinigrl
Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent 2 weeks here through VRBO. 1 bedroom , first week 'partial ocean view" second week upgraded to 'oceanfront ' - definitely worth $50 a nite more. This is a huge property , but extremely well cared for- the grounds are gorgeous and plenty of rolling lawns. Because it's on a slope even buildings back from the water have good views of ocean over the other buildings. Because condos are privately owned the interior quality can vary- first unit more dated, but nothing grungy- very serviceable. Helpful staff, easygoing towel and beach chair policies (and free). Remarkably quiet for such a huge property . We would definitely return. And everything you have heard about Poipu weather is true - rest of the island was drenched in rain and we had sunny beaches and watched whales and turtles from shore!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank drmarkVermont
GMofOutriggerKiahuna, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear drMarkVermont,
Thank you for the nice review of the Kiahuna property. We hope that you will book through Outrigger Kiahuna directly for your next stay. We offer a variety of ocean view and ocean front units.
e malama pono,
Chris A Gampon
Monterey, California
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I've been staying here on and off for thirty years... regrettably some of the owners haven't upgraded their units in that time frame:
Case in point: Unit 214: Sony 300lb. TV that's broken and at least twenty years old
Fridge: rusty and missing shelves
Kitchen: broken cabinets and minimal utensils...
Beds: Should have been replaced during the Reagan administration.
The picture of the owners greets you as you enter... I was tempted to leave a donation... the place needs work. I complained and moved... somewhat better... no rust... a $300 TV from costco that actually worked.
Stay at the Sheraton next door... they have a gym, a real bed and a small fridge... I screwed up.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank markmDanville_Ca_
DearmarkmDanville_Ca_,
Thank you for your review. We have replaced the TV and are working with the owner to complete some needed upgrades. All of our units are individually owned - therefore unique in décor. If you are looking for each room to be the same, we do recommend the Sheraton.
If you decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Warmest Aloha,
Kona-Hawaii
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Beyond misrepresented!! I have literally stayed in every hotel chain, as well as, independently owned condos etc. I am confused that this property would even be a Trip Advisor choice, but I am contacting them directly on this issue. First of all, they do not tell you that each room is privately owned like a timeshare. When we walked in there were photos of the owner and their family, posted in frames in the living room, and photo albums. The furnishings were at least 20 years old. More disturbing is there is no elevator, and had to walk up 3 flights of stairs!
I feel sorry for an elderly or physically challenged guest, trying to walk up steep stairs to the 2nd or 3rd floor. Don't let the photos on the site fool you, it is not "bungalows" they are 3 story apartment like buildings, that you can hear everyone coming and going, talking, and lugging their stuff up and down the stairs. There is no windows (just wooden crank louvers) to shut out the noise, since the property is so old. You will be put in the back of the property, since there is only a handful of ocean view rooms. Also, the property is not on the water, but blocks away from the beach, so you will have to lug your beach gear. No pool on the property, but across the main highway. There you will find a small fitness room, tennis courts, and pool. Also, if you are a light sleeper forget about it, the wild roosters outside will be crowing all day and night, and again, you cannot shut out the noise. There is no air conditioning, and more importantly no safe in room, so I would question leaving any valuables. The next morning, we paid for the one night, and canceled the rest of the 4 night stay, it was that bad. I think the reviews are written by guests that have kids, and need a kitchenette, fridge, and snorkel stuff.
Stay away from this property. I have only written 2 reviews in my travels on hotels, and this is my 2nd, it was that bad.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank hotelspaqueen
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Wow! You clearly did not like our property!

Kiahuna is not for everyone.

I have many issues with your review, but frankly don't see any benefit in going through them in this response. I just encourage anyone interested in staying with us that has concerns over these statements to private message me, and I will do my best to reassure you that you will have an awesome stay with us!

We apologize that you did not enjoy our little corner of paradise.

Roy Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Been to Kiahuna Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!