“Long time surfer and I learned alot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kauai Surf School

Kauai Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Kauai Surf School offers Group, Private surf lessons, and Surf Clinics daily at the Kiahuna Beach in Poipu.
Anchorage, Alaska
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Long time surfer and I learned alot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I've been surfing since childhood and always sucked. I would go out with friends and sit past the breaks because every time I tried to catch a wave I tumbled over my board headfirst. I recently went surfing in California and managed to stand up 3 times in an hour. It motivated me to try and get better. We've been to Kauai 4 times and I've always wanted to surf, but was too nervous. This time I was dead set on taking a lesson and getting out there. We were staying in Poipu and Kauai Surf School was walking distance from our place, so I decided to give it a try. I was very nervous the instructor was going to be some kid half my age with no teaching ability - but that is not the case. Kauai Surf School is staffed by a wonderful surfer and teacher named Allen! He was awesome! Showed me what I had been doing wrong all this time and within about 45 minutes in the water, I was surfing better than I ever had! Don't be afraid to ask for help! And I really lucked out - the waves were kinda big, so I was the only one in my class! For $75.00 I had a 2 hour private lesson - and a free super cool hat. This is by far one of my favorite experiences in 4 years of Kauai vacations! I will likely go again next time to continue to improve. Mahalo Allen!!!!!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank HollyWR

Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“WONDERFUL FIRST TIME EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I can't sing enough praises for this place. While in Kaui I was determined to learn to surf. I'm over 40 and have NEVER surfed in my life. I arrived very nervous but my instructor, Josh, quickly assured me that all would be well. He was right. I can't wait to go surfing again!!

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Toni T
Vancouver, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best 2 hours we had on Kauai!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

My girlfriend and I left our husbands and kids at home and signed up for a 2 hour lesson. We had a blast!! Loved the small classes (we had 3 of us for 8am) and got a lot of attention from Allan. We were all standing up on the board in no time. We also came back at a later date and rented some boards from him. Allan was very patient and entertaining. My girlfriend and I had a blast and would absolutely do this again or recommend this to anyone of any age or size or shape! The provide rash guards to borrow (shirts), but we brought our own boatshoes (per recommendations on Trip Advisor) and were glad we had them. The small class sizes were awesome. When our class was wrapping up we saw another Surf School walking on the beach with about 12+ people for 2 instructors - too many!! With the early class we had the whole beach to ourselves for the first hour and a half. Couldnt' have asked for a better morning.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank JayeSarah
Singapore, Singapore
145 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Very good teacher, got us all to surf at our 1st attempt”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Kyle taught us the basics well and all 4 students in the lesson I was in managed to stand on our boards and reach the beach during the 2 hour session.

Do book your lessons at high tide as I cut myself a couple of times on the corals when I fell off the board. Morning lessons may also be better for phototaking.

Great experience.

Visited January 2014
El Dorado Hills, California
4 attraction reviews
“Moms…impress your kids!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Surf Lessons with Kauai Surf School is perhaps the funnest 2 hours we've ever had as a family. Maybe it's because I felt super cool as a 40 somethin' riding the waves? Or maybe it's because my boys thought I was super "sick" for doing it!

Maybe it was the instructors? On land, Alan and Nick showed us proper form on surfboards. We practiced til we all felt ready to take on the water.

Maybe it was the time? They suggested we do the 8:00 am early slot, and NO ONE was on the beach. We had every wave to ourselves. Good tip guys.

Maybe it was the beach? This was an "epic" surf day for beginners. This beach had glassy waves and a sandy bottom. Alan and Nick were in the water with us, making sure we caught wave after wave. Whether they helped us straighten our board, or give us an extra push, they made it successful for our 6, 10, 13, and 14 year old boys, as well as for John and I, to stand up and ride them in.

Maybe we are just "mega rippers"? Maybe not. After all the instruction and surfer-dude help was over, they gave us free time to ride on our own. It was definitely harder with out their help! But, it was also really satisfying to on our own, catch it…surf it..and paddle out again.

Maybe it was everything? Kauai Surf School treats you right. We loved everything about Alan, Nick, their school, and our RAD morning at the beach! Thank you Kauai Surf School!

Visited December 2013