“Poipu Makai A3 has the most impressive view of any place I've stayed”
Review of Poipu Makai

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poipu
Poipu Makai
Ranked #19 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Poipu
Reviewed 17 October 2010

My husband, my three sons and I stayed here for 10 days and were totally impressed. The location is right on the shoreline of Kauai's southernmost point at "sunny Poipu".
I simply cannot describe the view, except to say, "it's awesome" We spent hours watching the waves crash on the rocks below. I don't think I could ever get tired of this beautiful, relaxing experience. When we arrived, we walked out onto the lanai, looked fifty feet down at the rugged shoreline, and we were speechless. This setting is exactly what we wanted.
The lovely condo is clean, comfortable, roomy, and was well equipped for all of our needs. It is very quiet and private here, we felt like we were the only ones in the building. The only downside was the small pool which was initially a disappointment to my teenage sons. In the end, they concluded this wasn't a big deal, since they preferred spending their time at one of the nearby beaches anyway.
The people at the condo management company, Poipu Connection, were helpful and friendly; and the price was a great for a 3 bedroom/2 bath unit. We can't wait to go back to Kauai and we hope to rent Poipu Makai A3 when we return.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank suzyqlikesgoodfood

Reviewed 13 May 2010

We stay in unit B3 with 4 adults and 2 kids. This condo was a perfect size and felt very open. A few things are worn down due to being right on the water but that is normal. You can't beat the view anywhere. You are right on the water and the sea turtles are there from sun up to sun down. They had beach chairs and some kid toys for you to use which was nice. The pool was small but worked just fine for small kids. Overall this is a great location and condo for the price.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank 4bendor
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We just returned from Kauai staying 4 nights at this unit after staying up north at a not so nice unit that we had rented from VRBO. We were very pleasantly surprised. We rented this unit from Parrish Collection and they were great to work with. The condo was beautifully decorated and updated and the view was to die for. From our lanai we could watch turtles swim by and the sunsets were beautiful. It was very quiet and peaceful. The only suggestion we would have is that the pool is pretty pathetic---how about making it into a hot tub?? It really is a joke for a pool and somewhat of an eyesore for the property. It really didn't affect us as we were off exploring the beauty of the island every day. Enjoyed coming back to a beautiful "home away from home". Hope to come back soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ILKathy
Reviewed 12 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at Poipu Makai A3 again recently (through Poipu Connection realty). We were pleasantly surprised to discover it has been upgraded and remodeled since our last trip. It now has a new kitchen and updated baths; it's freshly painted and newly furnished. We have stayed in this unit a couple of times before and returned for the peaceful ambience and jaw dropping view. We like Poipu's central location (equal distance between the "ends of the road" in both directions) and reputation for being sunny, even in the winter months.
The setting is incredible and is the main reason we return to this condo; the upgrade was a very nice surprise and "icing on the cake". Although there is not a beach on the property, there is excellent swimming/snorkling/sunbathing and surfing at Brennecke's beach, only a short walk away. I personally like the waves crashing on the rocks/bluff outside and believe this location has more character than any I've ever found at a classical sandy-beach location.....(when I want THAT, I go to Florida).
I saw several other reviews of other units in this condo complex and feel a couple of points should be made about this location. I haven't rented any of the other units, but I can say that A3 is clean and, now, newly remodeled. Apparently, since this complex was constructed in the 80's, some of the other units are in need of an upgrade....so to be sure: request unit A3.
Another point is the absence of a pool on this property. It does have a tiny pool, but it's more like a jumbo hot tub...think twice about booking here if your dream-Hawaii-vacation includes hours of lounging by the pool.
Also, if you prefer a complete resort setting with multiple restaurants, Disney-esque landscaping with water parks and convention rooms, then Poipu Makai isn't the place you're looking for. Try one of the the big places such as Grand Hyatt Kauai. These resorts are very nice, but expect a comparable view to cost 3X as much for a room 1/3 the size. My wife and I actually prefer the peace, beauty and solitude of Poipu Makai, but if you're one of the "beautiful people" who insists upon a "5-star" resort, cough up the extra cash and book the Hyatt.

Now that I've told you the reasons not to come here, consider the following:
DO come here if you appreciate a peaceful, inviting, comfortable accomodation, and a view which WILL LEAVE YOU SPEECHLESS.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Ken K
Reviewed 4 February 2008

We spent one week at Poipu Makai unit C-1 in January and just loved this condo! I second everything a previous reviewer has said about this unit. It has been updated within the past several years and has just about everything you could want.
C-1 is a ground unit so the shoreline is not visible from the condo itself; you have to walk to the edge of the lawn to look down at the shore. Still, the view from the condo is fantastic and we had the best view of winter sunsets on the entire island. Plenty of whale sightings, too, during this time of year.
I have been to Kauai many times and I love this particular area of Poipu. It's a perfect area for daily walks (or runs) and unlike the western end of Poipu, there's no construction going on here.
But - if you really want a pool at your condo, this is NOT the place to stay. The pool is laughably small; we never did see anyone using it the entire week we were there. Beaches are a short drive away and isn't that what you're here for anyway?
Keep in mind that the individually owned units will vary in condition and decor so try to find one that's been renovated in the last several years. We rented this unit thru Garden Island Rentals (kauairentals on the web) and they were wonderful to work with. The photos on their web site are an accurate representation of what this unit looks like.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank HawkeyeCruisr
Reviewed 26 October 2007

Rented Poipu Makai , Unit A-2 ,through Grantham Resorts, for 1 week during October 2007. The last week of a 3 week trip to Hawaii. I had rented from Grantham 4 years ago and had no hesitation about renting from them again. Upon arriving, we discovered that while the Unit was furnished as pictured on the web site, it was dirty ( walls, windows, bedding, carpet) with multiple maintanence problems ( broken unuseable drain in bath tub, broken freezer door, broken screen door in bedroom, rusted shower rods and rings, peeling paint on all the ceiling fans) .The exterior was also poorly maintained, (the sidewalk on one side of the complex was actually slippery from rotten vegetatation that had not been sweep off, the cooking sink by the B'Que was filthy, clogged and over-flowing with dirty water, old building materials were stacked in the parking lot and either renters or workers had left trash in the bushes. They had also failed to notify us prior to our arrival that the complex was being re-roofed while we were there.
We arrived on Thursday evening. I called Grantham Resorts on Friday moning and again on Friday afternoon leaving my cell number to receive a call back on. They left a message on the condo unit phone while we were out basically implying that we had unrealistic expectations and that maybe we could talk on Monday.
On Monday I received a refund for our remaining nights and moved to another condo unit through another company . I would not under any circumstances rent from Grantham resorts again nor would I recommend them to anyone else. They showed an amazing lack of concern, were extremely condescending, and defensive.To not contact me, and not be available during the week-end knowing how unhappy we were with the condition of the complex and the unit is plainly terrible customer service.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank inland
Reviewed 31 August 2007

We stayed for a week in unit D-3 in early August. This third floor unit had 3 bedrooms (1 upstairs), with plenty of space. There were five in our group. All of the units face the ocean and the lava shelf below with crashing waves. This unit was beautifully decorated with traditional Hawaiian furniture and artwork. The outside of the buildings and the landscape are nothing special, and the pool was very small and not inviting. But with the beaches close by, it did not matter too much. This location on the point can't be beat. Not sure about the views from the ground floor units, but the third floor units are a great value. They were doing some roof work on our stay, but we saw or heard very little of the workers. While there is no A/C we got a nice breeze through the unit with the door and sliders open. The ceiling fans in all of the rooms helped. We saw turtles and other sea life from the balcony/lanai, and the sunsets were wonderful. The unit has a kitchen with all of the appliances/ dishes, etc as well as a washer and dryer. It was a perfect set-up. The only drawback is the tiny pool. Other than that, it is a great place and the price was right.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank ETtravelsocal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
The Point at Poipu
The Point at Poipu
#2 of 29 in Poipu

Been to Poipu Makai? Share your experiences!