“EXCELLENT STAY FOR FAMILIES”

Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Excellent stay for families!
Property on the ocean with family friendly beach - great snorkling.
Condos with full kitchens, balconies, spacious bedrooms and bathrooms.
Waterfall pool and beautifully manicured grounds.
Staff friendly and professional.
Costco located next to airport - stock up before!

Room Tip: Ocean View - Upper Levels
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kindergarden
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We have been vacationing at the Waiohai for about 15 yeras and it has become our favorite destination. Perfect for families and friends. The staff is great, very friendly and helpful. The rooms have been updated consistently and are clean and great for big families. The Poipu beach area is amoung the most beautiful I have ever been. It can be as casual or as dressing as you'd like. We've seen the area grow and change and the Waiohai is still one of the best hotels in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anne T
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I've been an owner here since 2002 and have stayed at this property on at least three different occasions. I can honestly say this place has gone downhill. I will admit the location is nice due to Poipu beach being very beautiful. The location is also close to different restaurants and shops. The landscaping and grounds at this property are nicely maintained but that's pretty much where it stops. When I checked in the front desk worker said to go to the concierge because they had a welcome gift for me; long story short the concierge lady is obviously part of their timeshare sales team...The woman knew I was an owner and asked how long it had been since I had been to a presentation. I expressed my disinterest and she was not happy that I didn't want to sit through a 90 minute presentation.

The hallways to the rooms are depressing as are the old creepy elevators.

The room was a two bedroom which was spacious but again that's really the only plus. The tile was dirty, a couple of the bath towels were ripped, there was mold in one of the showers, the shower door handle was coming off, the shower door looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months, there were cobwebs on the lamp above the kitchen table, the beds are uncomfortable and old, the mattress pad was stained with what looked like pee, the furnishings look very outdated, the sliding door screen was off the track as were the wooden doors that block out the light. I know that rooms get worn but with the amount of money that's being charged each year in maintenance fees they should really do some repairs and a major upgrade to the year 2013 instead of 1990. It is beyond disappointing as an owner, who pays maintenance fees each year to come to such a rundown, outdated, dirty room; even the washing machine was dirty. I'm not sure what the housekeepers are doing but it's sure isn't cleaning.

The restaurant on site is a joke; the service is slow, their selection of food is poor, the taste of the food is gross and the prices are too high. How about offering a few more salads, sandwiches and French fries. For the cost of this place shouldn't there be another option for food? I realize it's a timeshare and there's a kitchen but for those of us who don't want to cook while on vacation how about offering another restaurant that has really good food, maybe fine dining. The location of the restaurant is nice because it's right off the ocean but again the food is not good.

The Marketplace is their version of a grocery store/gift shop/coffee place. Again the prices are high here but it is Kauai and is to be expected. I would suggest maybe having a deli inside here so people could have sandwiches made to order instead of prepackaged.

The pools are ok, nothing fancy. I will say I like the one pool that is a quiet area so you can escape the screaming children. My concern with what I will call the "main pool" is the number of children under the age of two, entering the water with their diapers; I'm not sure if there's some sort if sign that says no tots with diapers allowed or if this is common practice but it's gross. How about having a specific area dedicated to kids or how about the parents just keep the diapered kids away from the pool...

As far as people complaining about crowing roosters, come on people they are roosters, not dogs you can put shock collars on.

Being charged $10 bucks a day to park my own car is pretty lame and I think parking should be free unless someone is actually parking my car for me.

I would not recommend this property to anyone. I think you can find much better options for the price. I am very disappointed that Marriott does not have higher standards for this property. I think there is a lot of potential here due to the location and if the proper upgrades were done and another fancier restaurant was added then things would be much better.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Moby21
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for sharing a review of Marriott’s Waiohai Beach Club. I am sorry to hear of the issues you described during your stay, This is not typical of the Marriott experience and we would appreicate the opportunity to personally respond to your concerns.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

My parents traded one of their Maririot time share weeks so we could stay at Waiohai. Our two bedroom villa was well appointed and comfortable for our family of four. It couldn't have been farther from the beach though, which was a bummer. We were in the far right corner, by the back parking lot.To be fair, they do a good job of disguising this with green landscaping. I was disappointed when I spoke with three other families who ARE NOT marriot vacation club owners but had front buildings and great ocean views. I requested a room closer to the beach but was told that only Waiohai owners could be accomodated .....an obvious LIE. It was almost like they deliberately put us in the farthest unit because I requested an ocean view! If I was rating this hotel by staff friendliness and helpfulness I would give them a big fat zero. From the rude , disinterested people at the front desk to the rude security men, I wondered where the aloha spirit was? Maybe someone should tell them smiles are free! Despite this, I felt compelled to give three stars because of the fabulous proximity to Poipu beach. Literally everyday I snorkeled with turtles and there were three monk seals lazing on the beach that week (not at same time). We enjoyed the beach and getting to know other guests but it was disturbing to see how rudely the Marriot staff talked to a couple locals who momentarily stopped on the grassy area by the beach. I couldn't help but think that they should be allowed to roam freely by the ocean...especially since there is a Hawaiian Temple ruin on the grass by the beach. They should have access to that. It;s the least they can do...considering the land was virtually stolen from them. They should spend less time trolling for local intruders and keep unattended toddlers out of the hot tub! Jeez! Just about every day little kids (and I mean "swimmie" wearing tiny tots) plunged their shivering, little, blue lipped bods in the hot tub. I just said my prayers that they weren't peeing!

Room Tip: Don't ask for an ocean view or they will punish you by putting you in the farthest corner!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RN9865

Aloha & thank you for staying with us at Marriott’s Waiohai Beach Club. I am sorry to hear there was an issue with the location of your room in relation to the beach. The service you received is not typical of our resort and not what you and your parents deserve as loyal Marriott Vacation Club owners. Your feedback is important to us and will be shared with the resort leadership team for further review.

We would welcome the chance to speak with you regarding your visit and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at customer.care@vacationclub.com or by calling 800-860-9384. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Four adults stayed for a week at this Marriott property. Since we were not traveling with small children we appreciated the "quiet pool" that is just for adults. The 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit we were in was clean and comfortable. Not all units have an ocean view but the garden view is awesome with lush gardens, waterfalls and a lagoon. Poipu Beach is right there-great snorkeling.
Be sure to take a helicopter ride around the island - highlight of the trip!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I've stayed in many of Marriott's properties. They have all been beautiful and this one is no exception. This was the second time I stayed here and had a great time. Clean, beautiful, staff is helpful. About 20-30 minutes off the main road, but great services near by.

********

I recommend you be very careful when buying points and working with the sales team. This is the second time I've run into issues buying points and Marriott has been extremely unforgiving and trying to talk to someone to resolve the issue has been fruitless.

Recently I purchased additional vacation club points to enroll other timeshare weeks I had at no cost. The sales agent let me know enroll the weeks at no cost as part of the transaction, i just needed to change the timeshare ownership into my trust's name within a certain period. I used the title company they recommended. Unfortunately, the title company made an error when recording the deed even thought I caught the error before they recorded. The deed was recorded with the error and it needed to be corrected. Unfortunately, correcting the error put me a couple of days over the period they agreed to honor.

They now will not honor enrolling my weeks at no cost. It has been challenging contacting my sales agent. Calls go unreturned and emails often unanswered. I've called customer service in Florida but they only direct me back to the sales agent. They have promised to cc the sales manager, however I have never been contacted by the sales manager and I can't see any benefit of having done this. I did finally catch my sales person on the phone who then agreed to talk to the customer service manager. She offered to enroll my weeks for an additional fee, exactly what I hoped to avoid by buying additional points. I've tried to contact her to discuss that the reason I missed the deadline by a few days was because of an error made by the company they recommended. I've called the customer service manager at the resort several times and left messages asking for a return call to discuss the issue. She has never answered the phone nor returned any messages.

My advice is before buying points, be very careful and make sure any changes or work you need to do is completed BEFORE you buy the points. Based on my experience, once you have signed for the points it will be very difficult to get any support from your sales office.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing a review of our resort. As everyone's personal vacation planning is different and there are many factors involved when using your vacation points, we would welcome the chance to speak with you regarding your questions. Pleae contact our Customer Care team at customer.care@vacationclub.com or by calling 800-860-9384.

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 36th my parents and enjoyed having the space and two rooms. It's a great place for families.

The pool was never super crowded, which was nice. You have to go to the bar if you want a drink, we hoped there would be pool service.

The beach area is really nice, good for snorkeling. Saw a lot of beached seals and a sea turtle. The sunsets there were amazing!! Best part of the trip!

The ocean view is of a parking lot with the ocean in the distance, but we still enjoyed having the balcony.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank RHOBH_Wannabe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!