We traveled with our extended family of 6 and rented 2, 2 bedroom units next to each other for 2 weeks.
We booked through the Parrish Collection and specifically booked 2 units that were next to each other so we could easily move between units. We were never informed that even though the units were right next to each other, the don't share a common entry hall. We had to walk DOWN 3 flights of steps, over 25 yards and BACK UP 3 flights of steps. Some people in our party were pushing 70 and this proved to be quite a challenge. Shame on the Parrish Collection for not mentioning this during the booking process! There WERE side by side units that shared a common entrance that would have worked much better for us.
I will be reviewing the grounds and common features of all units in this review. Since each unit is individually owned and furnished they are all completely different.
1. Location - right across the street from Brennecke's Beach on a hillside so that the top floor of most units have an "ocean view". An easy walk to Poipu Beach.
2. Very spacious floorplans: These units were built in the late 70's at a time when size was king, literally. Many of the units have king beds in at least one bedroom and still have plenty of room to move around. I believe the smallest 2 bedroom unit is 1400 square feet, which is pretty big!
3. Beautiful grounds - lots of flowering trees and shrubs, many of them with placards indicating the name.
4. Fast, free internet.
5. Ceiling fans in all rooms - a must in July!
6. Washer and dryer in each unit.
1. Swimming pool is not very exciting. It was heated, but within 5 minutes my eyes were stinging and I reeked of chlorine when I got out. Also, no jacuzzi which is a big bummer.
2. Only about 1/3 of the units have an ocean view, and of those that do you are usually looking at roofs, power lines, and then the ocean beyond that. There are very few units that you can actually see the coastline from.
3. Some of the higher numbered buildings are quite a hike up from the ocean.
4. The toilets in both our units were ridiculously loud - think of the loudest airport bathroom toilet you have ever used and multiply that by 2. They were so loud they startled out children - aged 6 months and 3 years old. Because of this we were forced to either not use the bathroom while the kids were sleeping, or leave our "business" in the toilet until after the kids woke up.
5. No AC (Air Conditioning): Out of our 2 week vacation, there were 3 days when the tradewinds died down and the units became quite uncomfortable. On those days it was over 80 degrees in the units with no breeze whatsoever. The ceiling fans could not make up for this. This was in July and I'm sure would not be an issue in January.
All in all, not a bad resort by any stretch of the imagination, but slightly overpriced for what you get. One evening we took a walk through the Poipu Kai greenbelt to the Hyatt and were quite jealous to see they had newer units, many with central AC and lots of open, green space everywhere you walked.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the best locations in sunny Poipu Beach Kauai, Nihi Kai Villas Resort is just steps away from the Poipu shoreline and a little over 300 yards to world-famous body surfing Brennecke's Beach and Poipu Beach Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK) and Odigeo so you can book your Nihi Kai Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nihi Kai Villas Hotel Poipu
- Nihi Kai Villas Kauai/Poipu, Hawaii