“Excellent meal, Hawaiian style....”

Beach House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Beach House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 37 Restaurants in Poipu
Price range: US$7 - US$47
Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Known as "one of the most romantic restaurants in the world," this breathtaking oceanfront, open-air restaurant has earned the prestigious Honolulu Magazine's Hale Aina's Best Restaurant award, 16 years in a row. Other notable achievements are Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence and Zagat Survey's "Recognized for Excellence" award. The restaurant boasts a progressive Pacific Rim cuisine with an Asian influence. If you are looking for a memorable dining experience, be it lunch or dinner, the Beach House offers it all: food, service, an extensive wine list and a spectacular view. Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Children Menus Available
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were very pleased with our meal. Service was good, laid back, Hawaiian style. We decided to book for a sunset sitting as recommended by others. In early May that meant around 6pm, an hour before sunset. To be honest...a little too early for us to eat supper if you have a busy day but I guess if you are still jet lagged, an acceptable for supper. However, we had already been on the island for 5 days.
Pros
They acknowledged our anniversary.
Crab cakes were excellent as appetizers
Mac crusted mahi mahi, also melt in your mouth.
No regrets with our meal choices
We were full after that ... Good portions, especially if you had a late lunch! We really had no room for dessert.
Service...attentive. Not rushed. Laid back. Our waitress reassured us that she did not want to rush us which was nice. I should note though that once you order your meal...your two courses will likely follow pretty quickly. So take your time, enjoy a pre drink. Contemplate the menu before placing your order....unless you want to be done in an hour. We spent about two hours in total..lingering over a coffee and not feeling rushed out.
Considerations
Personally...not sure what the big deal is about being there at sunset. Half hour...or even an hour after sunset is more relaxing, more romantic, less people outside the restaurant taking sunset pictures. Very touristy. To be honest, while even though it wasn't a cloudless evening, the sun sets behind the trees in the distance, not over the ocean, We have see much nicer sunsets over the ocean.
Ask for a table for two. All tables seemed well positioned, with views of the ocean even if in the 2nd or 3rd row on the upper level floor. If you really want a front window seat, you should specify when you reserve. We were in the 2nd row, no issues with that.
We were first seated at table that could accommodate 3 ...placed against a wall. Square Table would have been much too large for conversation for 2 so we asked to be move to a smaller table for two...they happily obliged. Much better!
Meal for two...two pre dinner drinks, 2 apps, 2 main course and 1 bottle $60 bottle of wine, 1 coffee was approx. $200 before tip.
Dress...most people seemed to be island casual..a few men in shorts and sandals. Not my preference for a restaurant with more upscale prices.
Would I recommend the Beach House and return. Absolutely. Meal was excellent. Would likely reserve after sunset next time..at a more reasonable dining time.
Enjoy! Very good meal...on the beautiful island of Kauai!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Mervin was a pleasure as our server, the view was outstanding and the food was to match. Valet parking for $3 + tip helps as there is no parking in the area. Need to make a reservation early for sunset. We stopped by five days ahead and were able to get a 6:15 reservation. Seated right on time and water poured right away. Jan had the crab in crushed island fish with sweet potato. I had the Mahi Mahi with brown rice rand both were cooked to perfection and mild. Service was smooth and food was well presented and hot. Great place for a romantic evenkng

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The best restaurant to go to if you are celebrating any occasion.... its got awesome views, right on the ocean... great food...for dessert- we were recommended the banana foster by one of the waiters... we were skeptical about it in the first, but once it came, there was no regrets!!! both of us are dessert-freaks... and this one will be counted as one of the best desserts i and my hubby ever tried ! will be in our memories for a long long time to come ! :-)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We ate here on our last night in Kauai and easily the most romantic. We sat right by the open doors so we could see out over the ocean. The food was great. Make reservations as it gets very busy.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We attended this restaurant twice during our stay in Kaua'i April 4-12, 2014. Loved it! The food and the service were both exceptional.

On the first occasion, we attended and had a beachfront sunset view -- I made this reservation three months in advance, and when I called to do so the person who took my reservation told me it was a smart thing to do.

The service was absolutely fantastic and very professional, yet warm. Our server was Deven (I don't know if I have spelled it correctly); she was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and was able to answer our many questions. I am not a fish person but did have mahi mahi encrusted with macadamia nuts served in a citrus beurre blanc sauce. My partner had ono (a local fish) encrusted with wasabi -- amazing.

We loved the meal so much that we returned several days later. Deven was again our server -- an example of excellent service? She remembered not only our names but that my partner can't eat onions. There was another detail that she remembered as well, but I can't recall it at the moment -- I was definitely impressed at the time, though!

On our second trip we each again had fish -- and again, it was amazing! We also had the best calamari we have ever had, anywhere.

The only criticisms, and these are very small ones at most, is that the restaurant is very, very busy and accordingly is not quiet. Our return trip was the latest seating we could get and was still pretty noisy. Not an issue which would ever keep me away. The second, and this was my partner's peeve more than mine, was that the service was a little too efficient. The courses were served perfectly, but at a tempo that was quite quick and did not permit lingering over the meal as one would expect when experiencing fine dining. For me, I enjoyed receiving our order quite promptly but agree that a little more time in between courses would have been nice. In fairness, and given how often folks complain about slow and inefficient service, this was a pleasant problem to have.