“Tasty, but lacking atmosphere”
Review of Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Being Australian, I love my food and I wanted to book a couple of nice dinners while we were on holiday and taste the local fare. Decided on Roy's after a friend recommended it and based on all the great reviews online.
However we were disappointed.
We paid (in my opinion) quite a bit of money for a place that lacked atmostphere and an average meal. I thought this was meant to be fine dining?
After this experience we cancelled our other 'nice' dinner reservation at Merriman's. Preferred to have cheaper, tastier meals and save some money!

1  Thank JJYung

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We've dined at Roy's in Maui during previous visit and have always been pleased. This Roy's is a bit more casual but the food and service were what we had experienced in Maui. I had the mac crusted mahi and my wife had the filet. Both were outstanding. Finished it off with the chocolate soufflé. Outstanding. Would highly recommend for a nice dining experience in Kauai.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have always been a fan of Roy's restaurants both on the Hawaiian Islands and here on the main land. Our meal at Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill proved to mediocre. As with all the restaurants that we visited while in Kauai the service was very friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We've dined at several Roy's locations from Florida to Kauai and found this experience disappointing both in the food and service. We dined as a party of 4 and ordered salads, appetizer, main course and dessert. We were greeted by a friendly waiter and the salads, appetizers and drinks were great. After that it was all downhill. After almost 55 minutes we finally received our entrees. One dish ordered was the misoyaki butterfish with steamed rice. It arrived barely warm and the rice was cold. I ordered the sesame crusted scallops with homemade fettucini which was good but found the scallops to be very salty. Also ordered was the meatloaf that was supposed to be split between 2 members of our party. It came as as 2 round slices on one plate with rice in a smaller dish with an egg in the middle. While the meatloaf was good, the rice was actually dry and crunchy! At this point the server asked if we wanted to order a pineapple cake while takes 20 minutes to prepare. We said yes, since we've had this good dessert in the past. After finishing our entrees we waited for the dessert menus since there were 4 of us. Finally my 26 year old daughter managed to flag down the waiter and asked if we could have the dessert menus. He then brought only one menu and gave it to her. What about the rest of us? We quickly finished dessert and left.

We dined at this location several times in the past and noticed that while the restaurant was usually full, tonight it was 1/2 empty. Maybe it was an "off" night but certainly there's no excuse for cold, poorly prepared food and poor service!

2  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 2 June 2014

After many not great choices on our trip, this ended our dining experience in Kauai on a high note. The service was very good. Even though it took a few extra minutes, they went and got grapefruit juice for my boyfriend's cocktail rather than just say they were out.
The crab cakes are a yummy appetizer. We ordered the ahi tuna seared, and it was perfectly cooked and seasoned. The brussel sprouts, which I don't like and never eat, were also good.
The only miss was dessert, and really it was just that we didn't care for the flavor. We just didn't think it worked. We had the creme brûlée that was a strawberry and something else flavor. However, overall, it was a very nice dinner and I would definitely recommend it.