“Good choice whale staying at The Grand Hyatt Kauai”
Review of Dondero's

Dondero's
Reserve with OpenTable
Dondero's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 37 Restaurants in Poipu
Price range: US$9 - US$42
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Koloa
Cross street: Ainako
Description: Dondero’s, will satisfy your soul as well as your appetite. Combining elegant ambiance with stellar service makes this a dining favorite for those with discriminating taste. The menu features Italian classics with a fresh twist including a large selection of appetizers, homemade pastas, risotto, fresh fish and beef specialties. This delicious Italian cuisine is carefully paired with wines from all over the world. Delectable desserts and a cappuccino or port round out the repast.
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
“Good choice whale staying at The Grand Hyatt Kauai”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Enjoyed a very good meal at Dondero's with my wife during our stay at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. The meal was very good as was the service. nothing remarkable here but a solid choice for dinner if you are staying at the resort.

• Visited June 2014

Anahola, HI
“Converted.”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had eaten at Dondero's a few times before in the past; and hadn't been so impressed. The quality of food & price ratio were just not worth the long drive or the kind of stuffy surroundings, in my opinion. I've lived in New York and Italy, and like many have commented, just wasn't going to do any sort of Italian food on Kauai unless I cooked it myself.
However, we stopped by tonight with a small group of friends and I was, literally, amazed. I'd heard that Dondero's was changing its menu and its "image," if you will. The menu is more family-style so large portions that you can share, or just eat by yourself & bring lots home for leftovers. The pricing is a LOT friendlier and I feel very fair for the quality of food, level of service, quatity of food, and Kauai-cost-of-living in general.

Now...on to the fun part...the FOOD.
Calamari Fritti
I love calamari, and honestly, it's hard for me to ever not LOVE any calamari dish, unless it's truly terrible and overcooked or whatever. But this is GOOOOOOD calamari! They soak them in buttermilk then season & fry them perfectly so that they become irresistible, addictive little crispy-tender morsels that you just can't stop eating.

Summer Beet Salad
My friend took a picture of my face when our server described this dish. I was that excited. Local arugula with a gorgeous selection of red and gold beets with a few raspberries and Humboldt Fog goat cheese, all sprinkled with some toasted pistachios and a hibiscus vinaigrette. If you're not drooling now, you clearly just don't love beets, or salads. Or maybe even food in general, in which case, I congratulate you on having read this review this far.... If you think that mix of ingrédients sounds a bit much, or a bit odd, trust me. The flavors work. It is light, refreshing, and is one of those dishes that just sort of screams summer afternoons outside looking at green lawns and sipping a glass of wine. Or whatever.

Chicken Pesto Pizza
This was probably my least favorite of the food we'd ordered. Still really good, and a hand-made neapolitan-style crust topped with chicken, sundried tomatoes, basil pesto, pine nuts & a sprinkle of micro basil. For pizza fanatics, no, this is not a TRUE Neapolitan pizza. You need a wood oven and a whole list of other things to make it authentically Neapolitan. That's why they call it Neapolitan STYLE pizza....

Pasta Bolognese
This is what you want to eat if you've been eating lovely fish and more fish, and other Hawaiian-style things that you've been eating in Hawaii and now you really just want something familiar and comfortable and whatever. I'm born and raised on Kauai, and sometimes I just want something "comforting." The sauce is superb and flavorful...I believe they use veal in their bolognese? and top it with real parmigiano reggiano, pecorino romano and more of that yummy micro basil. I ate too much of this, so be careful! You'll leave VERY full!

Osso Bucco
This was the dish I'd been DYING to try. I'd heard several people raving about it, and so I was very excited to try it. It's huge, first of all, a 23-oz serving once cooked! And the meat falls right off the bone. You could eat it with a spoon if you were so inclined. It comes with some heirloom carrots & cipollini onions topped with a parsley-pumpkin seed gremolata and parmesan polenta. I, literally, almost died of happiness eating this dish and scraping out the bone marrow with the provided fork. If you've never had bone marrow before, this would be a fabulous way to correct that.

Rosemary Garlic Fingerling Potatoes
Roasted with Rosemary & a hint of truffle oïl.

Dulce de Leche Panna Cotta
topped with macadamia caramel popcorn & vanilla whipped cream. I really shouldn't have to say anything more about this....

Overall a fantastic dining experience. I will be back to feed the gluttony once again!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank mllenotorious
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Best food I had on my trip”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The food and service are impeccable. I had the sweet potato ravioli with side dishes of creamy parmesan polenta and asparagus and everything was amazing. The prices are reasonable which was a shock to us. Delicious food with reasonable prices. You can’t go wrong with that and the ambience and décor are nice too.

• Visited June 2014
NJ
“This Italian girl loved Dondero's!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was hesitant at first to try Italian food at a resort on Kauai, but then I figured we'd try it anyway...great decision! The food was outstanding - I can't imagine how anyone could post as negative a review as I read below.

As far as atmosphere, ask to sit outside, it's lovely. The decor inside is a bit outdated.

To start with, our salads were delicious. My husband enjoyed his Caesar salad, our teen daughter loved her caprese salad, and I enjoyed my garden salad with pickled shallots and shaved radishes. I always say that it's not easy to make a really tasty salad, and I find that a truly good salad is a mark of a great restaurant.

My husband couldn't stop raving about his Pasta Fiorentina. My daughter said her osso bucco was delicious, and my lemon chicken was lemony goodness.

Dessert was just as delicious. Husband loved his lemon ricotta doughnuts, daughter loved her gelato, and I really enjoyed the dark chocolate bread pudding, which was a special dessert that night.

To cap it all off, the service was impeccable. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant.

• Visited July 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
“Very good!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Probably the best Italian on this side of the island. Good menu, good kids menu. We had the lamb, the pasta and several types of gourmet pizza and it was all good. The atmosphere was ok. It's dressier, but not quaint.....more hotel feeling.

Visited July 2014

Been to Dondero's? Share your experiences!