“Not canned and a user friendly Kayak trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Waimea Canyon Bicycle Downhill
Ranked #1 of 10 Tours in Poipu
More attraction details
Owner description: Kauai adventure activities. Kayak, bike, hike, zip line & stand up paddle board tours. Paddle a kayak or stand up board up a calm water jungle stream and hike to waterfalls, or kayak the wild Na Pali Coast. Ride zip lines high above the rainforest canopy and through deep black rock canyons. Coast on a cruiser bike from the rim of Waimea Canyon all the way to the ocean shore. Big fun in beautiful places!
Los Angeles
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Not canned and a user friendly Kayak trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

These things tend to be as good as your guide and outfitters tries to make their trips as conversational as possible. The kayaking was mild enough for a novice. We arrived at the destination a nice little walk up to a waterfall for homemade sandwich and there was time to rope swing and a sit down under the falls. The guide showed us some of the vegetation my Hawaiian stepfather showed me as a child. Definitely worth it.

1 Thank Indiegoddess

Hoboken
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Kauai Outfitters Zipline Trek”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

My friend and I booked this tour and we were so glad we did. I would say it was the best part of my trip and we did alot (Helicopter, Horseback riding, massages, Luau). The guides made the trip. We had Joey and Elvis and Taylor stopped by on one of the zips to help out. They were so funny. We started by driving to the outfitters shop, then took a van with 13 of us to the ziplines. We did 3 ziplines and 2 you did twice so a total of 5. Then we walked to the falls and although we only had about 1/2 hour there I was able to do a rope swing into the fall and jump off the waterfall. I wish we had more time there. My friend ended up doing a bellyflop by accident so she was done after the first jump. Be careful not to do that. I would absolutely recommend this tour for families, couples, friends...it was so much fun. You can bring your regular cameras for the ziplines and they give you bags to put your stuff in. I wish I had an underwater or waterproof camera for teh falls portion because you can't really take pictures and enjoy the falls at the same time if your camera isn't waterproof.

3 Thank egreco002
Oahu, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great fun and perfect for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

Always trying to avoid a tourist trap, I was initially skeptical about how much fun this experience would be. I was also concerned that it would be hard to find an activity that would appeal to the everyone in our family of five.

However, this turned out to be one of the overall highlights of our trip. We signed up for the half-day zipline tour. All three of our kids, the youngest of which was 7 yo, had a great time, as did we. Our guides, Elvis and Nathan were both funny and professional. They did an excellent job explaining what to expect and were very attentive to our safety (i.e., checking and rechecking our gear and rigging). We definitely got the sense that enjoy what they do, and it showed in the way they worked with our group.

The setting on Kipu ranch is quite picturesque, and the zipline setup traverses both forest canopy and river. In total, each person does 5 zipline runs and then ends the day with a short hike to Kipu falls for a swim (rock jump and rope swing optional for those who dare) - a nice way to end the day.

Regardless of age and ability, it's hard to see how someone wouldn't have a great time.

2 Thank kauai_trip
Honolulu, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Zip-lining with Outfitters”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

My wife and I dodged the Hurricane (nee Tropical Depression) Felecia bullet when we scheduled our zip-lining adventure with Outfitters. We are a "mixed" family -- I have jumped (without someone pulling my ripcord) from several airplanes -- and my wife has recurring dreams about falling off cliffs... Our Outfitters experience was fun for both; there was a gradual build up on the shorter but perhaps more technical zip lines under the canopy leading to the longer and higher zip lines over the canopy which provided excellent views of the scenery best known for its role in the movie Jurassic Park. Our guides and mentors - Elvis, Tina, and Louis - were low key, competent, and helped the less adventurous understand that everything we were doing was safe but to stand by for a little adrenaline rush... The gear we used was in good shape as were the zip lines, trails, and supporting infra-structure -- apparently there is an "international" certifying authority who checks the initial layout and equipment and then revisits on a periodic inspection schedule -- small but important facts when you are dropping off a 30 foot tower or walking across a swaying bridge 100 feet over a ravine. This was true family fun - there were two families with young boys under 13 - son and Dad screaming side by side across the river 50 feet below - our youngest was probably 9 - the oldest over 60 - so an attraction spanning two generations joined in a common need for a good scream. Our day was capped by a plunge into "Blue" (green actually) pond with a 20 foot tower or zip line entry -- Louis proved you can do a back flip off the zip line and into the pond -- which led to at least a dozen perfect belly flops as the guests tried to emulate his feat. In summary -- safe, smooth, enough of a challenge to satisfy all - delivered in a perfect Kauai setting.

2 Thank jfbAvellino_Italy
Outfitters-Kauai, Owner at Outfitters Kauai, responded to this review, 23 September 2010
Mahalo for the great review! It's good of you to notice our commitment to proper design and maintenance of our facilities. Thanks for sharing that with others. We're trying hard to achieve a great experience for all different types of people and age groups, and it's very gratifying to read your take on that. We're really glad you had a good time and hope very much to see you again! Aloha no, Rick Haviland
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Unrivaled Experience of the Na Pali Coast, Snarky Guide”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

My husband and I were on our honeymoon in Kauai and opted to do the ocean kayak tour down the Na Pali coast. This is a very demanding 16-mile trip along a section of the coast that you can only really navigate in the summer months. Even after nursing our sore shoulders and blistered hands, we have absolutely no regrets, but it is not for the faint at heart. Our hotel said we needed to be "expert kayakers," which was not really true; there were others like us with limited river kayaking experience who enjoyed the trip albeit by force of will. Fortunately, you do the lion's share of the trip in the morning, followed by a sandwich lunch with an hour to rest (we napped under a tree) and the last 1- 1.5 hours was probably the point when we felt the strongest. Kauai Outfitters supplied us with most of what we needed: dry bags, a net bag to attach to the inside of the boat for stuff we needed readily accessible, plenty of water, life vests, a boat in good condition, paddles. They gave us a list of other important things to bring like sunscreen, sunglasses, waterproof camera, a hat, etc. The nice thing about this company is that you can meet them at their shop in Poipu (where most of the hotels are) and they drive you around the island to the north side where the Na Pali coast begins; at the end of your kayak trip, they pick you up at Polihale Beach on the southwest part of the coast where it ends and give you a chance to rinse off and change into dry clothes. All told, it's a 12-hour day that begins at 6am and doesn't get you back to the shop until 6-7pm, so eat a nutritious breakfast and get a good night's sleep.

In my opinion, this is the ONLY way to see the famed Na Pali coast. We took short detours into sea caves and continued the trip past the point where the hiking trail ends to see things that are only visible from the ocean. We actually saw hikers teetering on the edge of the cliff with their hiking sticks and backpacks--we were having a much better time and enjoying a far superior vista that included not only the turquoise ocean but also the verdant volcanic cliffs shrouded in mist, not to mention sea turtles as well as a pack of spinner dolphins that gave us a brief escort upon departure. We cruised past Kalalau Beach, evidently rated one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. You can't get this experience from speeding by in a motorized raft or hovering in a helicopter either. If you want to "experience" (as Adam, our guide, put it) Na Pali rather than just "see," this is how. It was completely unforgettable and hands-down the best thing we did in Kauai.

As for the guides, we had Ben and Adam, 2 of the 3 individuals in the company qualified to lead this particular tour. Both were knowledgeable about the terrain and readily offered tidbits about the landscape, the history, areas made famous in music & movies, etc. Adam was often entertaining, which I imagine is part of what you pay for in a tour guide. However, it was too often the case that he was entertaining us by making snide remarks about the blunders of other people on the tour behind their backs, and visa versa. I have to reiterate that this is a very demanding tour, so unless you are an expert kayaker, you ARE going to make mistakes, falter in strength, and I believe everyone one on the tour with the exception of the guides flipped their boats at least once. Adam was frequently impatient with us, and as the trip wore on, this only served to fluster me and my fellow kayakers as our stamina waned. I am not alone in this feeling because other people on the tour took the initiative to talk to us about the impact of his reactions on their experiences. Ben, on the other hand, was a bit more reserved, but also showed a lot more empathy, kindness, and reassurance when we found ourselves in 4-foot swells after paddling for 10 miles and boats started going over. He was warm and professional, and we were grateful for his presence.

All in all, I think this trip is the only way to experience Kauai, and this particular company does offer the convenience of the van ride with pick-up and drop-off in Poipu. I'd just recommend going on Adam's day off.

3 Thank beram63
Outfitters-Kauai, Owner at Outfitters Kauai, responded to this review, 27 September 2010
Tripadvisor is kind of new to us, and I wasn't aware of your review- sorry for the delay in response. I share your opinions about Na Pali. The beauty, the magic, and the challenge. And thanks for the many kind things you said about our company. But I'm sorry that our guides were not supportive and appropriate in their words ALL of the time. Our goal as a company is to provide uplifting experiences for our guests and that is built into all of our guide training and everything we do. If you take a look at our other reviews you will see that we hit the mark on that pretty well for the most part, and that is very important to us. I have shown your review to Adam, and it was quite an eye-opener for him to see how his words came across. He's actually a great guy and a lot of fun. That's not what he wants his guests to think and feel. Undoubtedly he learned something here, so thanks for taking the time to write- good things have happened as a result. I hope that you'll come to see us again! Much aloha, Rick Haviland