“Aggressive birds take over Ilima terrace restaurant”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I went back to the Hyatt, after many years absence, to savour once again the lovely atmosphere and delicious food. What a disappointment to have our buffet breakfast spoilt by the constant intrusion and noise of local Myna birds, who fly into this restaurant and immediately gobble up any remaining food left on plates, sit on furniture, watch and follow staff removing used dishes in the hope of an extra treat. For 31 dollars, I am looking for a little peace and quiet. I won't be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Tina3112
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We have been to Hawaii 7+ times, love it, and this is easily one of our favorite hotels. There's something for everyone- kids LOVE it because of the fabulous pool and slides, beautiful grounds for adults to relax in, wonderful restaurants and choice, so you don't have to make reservations or anything like that for dinner, as you do in many large resorts. There is also a lagoon and the beach is gorgeous. The island itself is beautiful, and easy to get around it as it's small. You can probably get away without renting a car, or just renting a car from the hotel for the days you feel like exploring, as if you came to Hawaii just to relax you could honestly just stay in the hotel the whole time. The rooms are very comfortable and the hotel itself has a wonderful decor and open, tropical feel to it. I give top points to the spa. Not only is it in a beautiful garden and spot, but they went out of their way for me. I had an issue with my massage, and did not complain but mentioned it, and the director gave me a free massage. Fantastic tennis courts in the middle of a plantation. Definetely going back!

Room Tip: If you are mobility impaired tell them. The hotel is huge and not easy to get around. If you need t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank luvnicehotels2014
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Our trip to the Grand Hyatt Kauai was something I will truly never forget. The entrance to the hotel is absolutely spectacular. We were greeted with smiles and the most beautiful lei I had seen on our entire trip to Hawaii. My dad told the front desk that we were there celebrating my graduation, and they upgraded us to a VERY nice sea-view suite free of charge (thank you!!)

The room itself was lovely. High ceilings, balcony, a nice bathroom, and a stunning view of the property and ocean. The resort itself...breathtaking. I spent hours just exploring the gorgeous gardens, grounds, and beach. The pools are remarkable. I loved the lazy river and swimming in the lagoon was magical. Climbing up to the lookout point on the beach was just wonderful. There are a multitude of restaurants/bars across the property, my favorite being Tidepools (you MUST go!)

My favorite part of the property however was the amazing spa. The service and treatments were top-notch...and if you book any treatment they give you access to the sauna, pool, steam room, etc. throughout your entire stay. Just thinking about the open air showers, carved out of black igneous rock and covered with flowering vines, gives me the chills. I will truly never forget washing my hair and looking up at the clouds floating by. Pure heaven.

If you are planning a trip to Hawaii I would HIGHLY recommend staying on the beautiful island of Kauai and staying at the Grand Hyatt. The service, property, ambiance, food...total luxury. Perfect for a romantic getaway or a family vacation. Thank you so much for your amazing hospitality, I can't wait until we are able to go back!

Room Tip: Pick a room with a sea-view. We left the sliding balcony door open every night and fell asleep to t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank mollyms619
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was the best vacation our family has every taken. Kauai is heaven on earth. The Grand Hyatt was outstanding. The rooms were beautiful, the food was fabulous and the service was spectacular. We used the concierge service and Alicia was awesome. She planned out several day excursions that will be lifetime memories.

We had Pacific Photography on the site take portraits of our children. They we great and I would highly recommend them. You actually get to keep the digital images on the spot on a memory stick. They also made a video collage as well as mixed in video footage we didn't even know they were taking. Our family watches it and longs to return to Hawaii.

Room Tip: The beach view rooms were great but you don't spend much time in the room so you could easily ch...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jim R
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I travel a lot for work and am away from my family more than I wish. We booked a family vacation in Kaua'i to get away and spend some time together as a family. We traveled with our 8 and 4 year old, which is a big job in itself.

We arrived late at night and were greeted with Leis as soon as we pulled into the hotel. The desk staff was waiting for us and had everything ready to go, including merging two reservations together to keep us in the same room the entire stay, while the kids entertained themselves with the fruit-infused water and wandered around in wonder. It was as if my exhausted, travel-weary family came alive when we entered the hotel property.

We had a large room with a mini-fridge and all the accessories we needed. My only complaint about the room would be that you have to pay $50 for a microwave, where I would have preferred one just be in the room, so that is minor.

The grounds are amazingly beautiful. The entire family had a great time at the pool area, switching between the water slide, the lazy river, the Jacuzzi and the salt water lagoon. The dining options are good at the pool and the service from the staff is amazing. We spent way more time there then anywhere else on property.

My kids also did a morning at Camp Hyatt, which gave me and my husband a couple hours to run some errands without dragging the kids along. They had a blast and were well taken care of. They are still talking about how fun the Camp was, a week later. The camp is a bit on the expensive side, but worth it for a day to have a little time to yourself.

There are on-site photographers, Pacific Dream Photography, who will give you a 45-minute photo session, complimentary. We haven't had family photos done in years, mainly because something always seems to happen (the flu usually), right when we have them scheduled, so we went for it. We showed up at 7:30 AM for our morning photo shoot and were greeted with smiles from the staff (we had the same experience when we stopped by their desk to schedule the session). We gathered everything and headed down to the beach to start our photos. The photo session got off to a good start, with a light mist in the air, but it tends to mist off and on in Hawaii, so we kept going. My daughter was having a blast playing model until the downpour started! We quickly hid under a covered swing on the beach and waited for the rain to die down. While we stood there, our lovely photographer snapped some photos with the water in the background and even our stubborn 4-year old son was having fun. Since the downpour was not letting up, we all ran back to the resort and found cover and towels. While we stood under the cover of the restaurant, Eugenia snapped a few more family photos and we decided to call it and try again later. We then got back to our room and changed up to head out for the morning. When we went downstairs, Eugenia already had some photos on her computer and gave us a sneak preview. The kids loved seeing the photos of themselves!

The next morning we scrapped doing more photos in favor of sleeping in and Pacific Dream Photography was very understanding. We went down later for our scheduled viewing and were absolutely touched by the video presentation they put together to showcase the photos and video that they took. We couldn't believe they captured our family's personality SO well! The team followed up with us after we came back home and sent a nice thank you email too. We couldn't have asked for a better experience!

My one big complaint is about the concierge. I waited quite some time to speak to one and when I finally had my turn, he acted annoyed and couldn't wait to get me out of the chair. He brushed me off quickly with everything I asked. I really have never been treated so rudely by a member of a hotel staff and it has stuck with me. The services are offered by Expedia, which makes me feel bad about them and the Hyatt for how awful the treatment was.

We did do the breakfast buffet one morning, but decided not to do it again. The service was good, but there really should be more variety for the price you pay. It was over $100 for our family of four and the kids didn't have much options. The pancakes were coated and there were no waffles or french toast. There were some good options, but I feel that there could be more offered for the high HIGH cost of the breakfast. The remaining mornings we went off property to eat. The room service was excellent, quick and hot when we received it. The staff always thought of everything you might want with your meal.

Everything else, the food, the staff and the grounds were magnificent. The location was beautiful and the trip was memorable.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor overlooking the pools and ocean, about 1/2 way down the hall from the ele...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank VDHFAM
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Pacific Dream Photography took excellent pictures of our family at sunrise on the beach adjacent to the hotel. Michael, the photographer, was very patient with our 3 young kids and very creative. He captured their expressions with the sun rise in the background. I loved so many of his pictures but was absolutely thrilled with a picture of all 3 kids smiling at the same time. Such a relief to have my Christmas card already done! We will treasure these pictures.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bridget L
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our anniversary in deluxe ocean view. Beautiful hotel, beautiful grounds, great staff! Jill Pembrook was our concierge and she was absolutely outstanding! I had emailed her before our trip and she was very helpful with multiple reservations. She had an itinerary including driving directions ready for us when we arrived. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank meldod
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!