“Loved our stay”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

This place is beautiful! Our partial ocean view was exactly what we were expecting. Our room was plenty big and loved having a lanai. Everything is super clean and kept up well. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The pools and ocean front property are amazing. We can't wait to come back!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,786)

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We kicked our recent honeymoon off with 3 nights at the Grand Hyatt. We were greeted with leis and bottles of water upon arrival. I went to check in as my husband pulled the car around to the self park lot. Check in was relatively quick - although after having just arrived, getting our rental car and navigated over to the property I was a little flustered and the hotel grounds are huge and sprawling. The gal checking me in went over the map quickly - mostly pointing out the pools, restaurants and spa. Upon hearing it was our honeymoon she said they would send up a bottle of bubbly for us to celebrate with - although it never did show up.

We pulled our luggage (with me wishing the whole time we had just done valet and let the bellman take the bags for us!) around the grounds for a while trying to figure out how to get to our room (did I mention the grounds were large and sprawling). We finally made it and once we dropped the bags saw our room with views of the pools and ocean. The lanai was quite large with two chairs and a table. The room was spacious and nice - some spots were faded or worn looking but overall it was clean and completely acceptable.

We decided to wander about to try and get used to the layout - took us about 10 minutes to find our way to the pools and then eventually down to the beach. The grounds are beautiful and although we could tell there were tons of guests on the property I never felt crowded or terribly bothered by other people.

The beach to the far left (I think it is called shipwreck beach?) was quite busy and had a lot of surf. We popped down on the sand for a bit to watch all the boogie boarders - very entertaining.

We mostly had food at the terrace restaurant as it had easier availability for walk up and we were really not planning this trip. Service was excellent once someone noticed us at a table - although that took a pretty long time. Luckily we had quite a view to distract us.

The valets would give you bottles of water and towel anytime you were leaving the property - which is a great touch! Many times we were off to hike or just explore and the water/towels came in handy. The parking lot is pretty large and we never had issues finding a spot.

Overall - the resort is beautiful, everyone was friendly and once we figured out the layout it was fairly easy (if time consuming) to navigate to the various locations. The lanai was very useful to dry out swimsuits and snorkel gear. Make sure to check out the black and white swans - totally adorable.

The shower was excellent and the bath products smelled amazing!

I would consider staying here again if we were going to stay on the south side of Kauai.

Room Tip: We had rooms facing the pools - came with an ocean view but it could be noisy if there were a lot of...
2  Thank Cailet
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at three Hyatt hotels in Hawaii, and our four nights at Grand Hyatt Kauai was by far the standout.

While a very large resort catering to lots of people, it never once felt crowded or noisy. Pool view room was spacious, quiet and comfortable. Anara spa products in room are divine.

All the staff we encountered were so lovely and friendly. Lots of great memories made. Not to mention the best omelettes I've ever had!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deanne E
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Our stay at the Hyatt was phenomenal from start to finish. Here are just a few of the high points:

- Upon check in we were greeted with smiles, leis, water, cold towels, and helpful staff who took all our bags out of the jeep for us. The bellman took us to our room, turned all the lights on, and explained everything we would need to know (breakfast location and hours, spa and pool locations, and general tips about the resort). Ronald at the front desk was awesome and offered us complimentary champagne, 15% off spa treatments, free cabana rental for a day, and a free dessert at one of the hotel restaurants because we were on our honeymoon! Without even being asked he also upgraded us from a garden view to an ocean view.

- It seems that everyone at the Hyatt wants to please the guests. Random employees say hello and smile. My wife and I were greeted in the elevator by an employee who asked how our stay was going and engaged us in conversation. Staff goes above and beyond.

- Concierge extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I had a few questions and the woman at the concierge answered everything plus more.

- Service at all the restaurants is also exemplary. The waiters and waitresses will address you by name and are very patient and attentive.

- The resort grounds and pools are kept in an exemplary manner. Lots to enjoy and tons of space.

We loved it from start to finish and can’t say enough about how much we appreciated how the Hyatt took care of us.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David W
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai for our wedding. We had a corner, Deluxe Oceanfront Suite on the east side of the property. Check in was quick, friendly and efficient. Our room was extremely large and roomy. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. The only thing it lacked was a full length mirror (as the bride I needed one!). Upon request, the staff located one in storage and had it to our room within 15 minutes! The grounds were immaculate. The lagoon and pools were clean. The beach is not swimmable but the sunrise from Shipwreck Beach is amazing. The food is pricey, but good. If you are lucky enough to have breakfast included in your stay, you will not be disappointed by the variety of foods displayed. The ONLY caveat are the birds and they are EVERYWHERE! Especially during breakfast they are in abundance darting and swooping down when they can. Since the bride is afraid of birds, this was an issue. However, the hotel staff were very accommodating (they moved us) and comped us a meal. We would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room. We were happy with the location of our room which was closest to the pools...
3  Thank Barbara M
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We changed from the Marriott to the Hyatt thinking it would be better. We requested an upgrade (we had front ocean room at Marriott) and they said the hotel was full. I insisted the next morning after checking in 3 websites, including the hotel website, that I could book a ocean view room, before returning to the front desk to be lied to.
What upsets me most, is that the front desk lied sayig there are no rooms available when I can book one. Ps: I offered to pay for the upgrade!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank carolinak31
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai for the second half of our honeymoon. I'll start with the good. The pool and lagoon areas are awesome. This would be a great place to bring kids. We had a ball on the water slide and thoroughly enjoyed the various pools and hot tubs. There's a nice lagoon area where you can get the beach experience without the dangerous waves we saw on the actual beach front. We also enjoyed the onsite spa. The customer service at this hotel overall was very good. Now for the not so good. The first half of our honeymoon we stayed at the Andaz in Maui which is brand new and ultra modern so the first thing we noticed was how dated the Grand Hyatt was. This hotel is in desperate need of an update. There are old carpets and furnishings throughout the property and peeling wallpaper in the halls. You can tell this used to be a spectacular hotel so I hope they have some renovations in their near term plans to bring this hotel back to its former glory. There was also a minor issue with my bill when I checked out. I was using Hyatt reward points for the first half of my stay but upon checkout I noticed that I was charged for those nights. The receptionist quickly resolved the issue but I'm glad I paid attention or we could have been out several hundred dollars.

2  Thank KLysha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!