“Great hotel, great location”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Pricey but worth it. The pools are amazing - with a waterside, lazy river (with waterfalls), a lagoon, and even a adult-only pool. I have 2 children (6 and 7years old) and they loved it all esp the morning activities which included hula lessons, catch-release fishing, koi feeding, lei making and especially the parrot talks where you could hold the parrots that are in the lobby area. The hotel is large so bring a stroller if you have younger children. For myself, I really enjoyed the fitness center and still dream of the ice-cold face towels infused with cucumber (I think it was cucumber). I would have liked to enjoy more of the fitness classes but that is difficult with the kids. The location is ideal as Poipu is such a nice area. You can walk to a beautiful secluded beach or drive to Poipu beach where we were fortunate to see a Hawaiian monk seal and turtle resting on the beach. The restaurants were pricey but good. A favorite is "Tide pools" where you can watch the koi fish swim next to you. All the staff were so good to the kids too. Make sure you check out the lounge building- had xbox, air hockey, pool tables. We didn't find it until near the end of our vacation. If you want a relaxing vacation with amazing resort amenities, stay here. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: we stayed in the Poipu wing - farther from the pools so probably quieter but close to the fitness ce...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank travelbug2004
Write a ReviewReviews (6,777)

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We are Diamond level Hyatt members and first time at this hotel, have stayed at Sheraton and Koa Kea.

Hotel was 100% full but separate Diamond check in line was quick and efficient. We got a Oceanview upgrade even with full hotel, which we really appreciated. The room is huge and has comfortable covered balcony and seating area. Large bathroom and tub, double sink and Japanese electrical toilet seat. Diamond amenities include access to Grand Lounge for breakfast and snacks, and free access to gym, lap pool at the spa and spa facilities (sauna). Self service laundry on site and staff was very helpful. Hotel also offered free beer and fruit plate as one of the welcome gifts. We felt totally pampered.

The one snafu was they misplaced all of our luggage for about 90 mins. We called when luggage were not delivered and they could not find it. It turned out all our luggage were delivered to the wrong room (bellman read the room number wrong). It was a hassle but hotel was very apologetic and immediately offered a $100 credit as an apology, which we used at the restaurant and very much appreciated. The rest of our stay, all the staff were attentive and valet was speedy.

The resort itself is sprawling with multiple buildings. We were conveniently in the main building. There are a range of fresh water pools, adult pool and also salt water lagoon. The beach is a narrow strip and probably the only downside as hotel is furthest East in Poipu, around the tip which is less protected. There was also a south swell all weekend, so red flag warning at the beach, it was empty. So you could visit the lagoon or go to another beach.

We very much enjoyed our stay, felt pampered and enjoyed the Aloha spirit of the staff. Even though hotel was full, the only area that you felt it was around the pool given beach was closed. Otherwise, very tranquil everywhere else and lots of nooks for privacy. Will definitely be back!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Luvtosafari
GHKResortandSpa, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Aloha Luvtosafari!

Mahalo for sharing your experience! We are always thrilled to have Diamond members stay at the resort! We try our best to make sure that each guest feels pampered and departs with a lasting memory, and are so happy to hear that we were able to achieve that with you. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Make no mistake, this is a very nice hotel and for others it may well be worthy of a higher rating. For us however, we found the hotel to be focused a little too much on the young ones. We were traveling with our 6 year old so this may seem a strange comment. We are however comparing the overall experience with the one we had at a similar hotel on the north shore where we spent the previous 4 days. The Hyatt is definitely worthy of its overall 4/5 star status but for us, the other hotel trumped it. Some of the letdown for us was for things simply beyond the scope of what the hotel could provide. For example, we much preferred the scenery on the north shore of the island.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim P
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I spent our Honeymoon at the Grand Hyatt and were very well taken care of for our entire stay. Every employee we had contact with provided excellent customer service at all times and were all genuinely concerned with making sure our stay was First Class. The rooms and facilities were immaculate and very clean. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends, and will definitely be back in the future.

Room Tip: I booked a partial ocean view and was upgraded to full ocean view due to availability.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick P
GHKResortandSpa, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Aloha!

Congratulations on your marriage and Mahalo for spending your Honeymoon with us! Our staff tends to go out of their way to ensure an enjoyable time is had by all. What a delight to hear that your stay was fabulous! We can't wait to have you back again in the future!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I find it amusing that TripAdvisor tells me that I have a 200 word minimum when writing a review about the Grand Hyatt on Kauai. One could spend that many words merely describing the friendly staff, and not get anywhere near the incredible restaurants, beautiful grounds, or any one of a myriad of other positive points about the Grand Hyatt Kauai!

On with my review!

First: Apologies, our visit was actually September 2013, and I don't write reviews on Trip Advisor often, so, I just got around to this several months later (August 2014. Holy cow, it's almost been a year!).

My wife and I celebrate what we call Birthdaversary. We got married on her birthday (yeah, men, I'm double-screwed if I forget THIS one) and try to do something special to celebrate the day every year. In 2013 we had the unique opportunity to join a good friend on Kauai -- he had a timeshare and had it reserved for a couple of weeks in September, and invited my wife and me to join them.

Before meeting up with our friends, we wanted to have a "soft landing" after trip from Melbourne, Australia. Believe it or not, it's quite difficult to get to Hawaii from Australia; many airlines want you to go all the way to the US mainland and double-back...no thanks.

So, our soft landing...well, I'm a huge fan of the Grand Hyatt properties and this was extremely close to where our friend's timeshare was, so, it was the logical and luxurious choice. I'd arranged the limousine pick-up service from the airport - no interest in renting a car this trip - so we truly had a relaxing arrival.

Others have written about the warm welcome from staff, lei's, beads, etc...and whilst that was a great bit of aloha to get you into the spirit, it's not something I necessarily am drawn to (more on that in a bit).

The "lobby" at the Grand Hyatt Kauai is beyond words. They frame an open courtyard perfectly, and beyond that courtyard is the ocean. To walk in and see that, well, yes, THAT is what we needed.

Check-in was a breeze (also a bit of a blur, we had a tortuous 5.5 hour lay-over in Honolulu. Not ideal), and we'd opted for a Garden View room, which was a bit of a wander to the far side of the furthest building of the hotel complex. Distance wise, not a big deal, but, the first time you arrive it takes a bit to get your bearings and figure out how to get to the different levels.

Our room was very pleasant - we were on the ground floor and were able to walk right out onto the grass area and to the grounds beyond. Fantastic amenities, great "cocomango" shampoo and whatnot, and we both found the bed to be extremely comfortable.

Having a nice hotel room is important, but, face it people, if you're doing it right, the majority of the time you're in the room you're asleep (or something else involving the bed) -- we didn't turn the TV on at all, never touched the in-room coffee machine..for us, the grounds of this property was where we wanted to be.

Hey, I'm at over 2900 characters already, take that Trip Advisor!

Right, so, here come a bunch of specific points about the property:

o Stevenson's Library. Pretty sure we would move in here, if they'd let us. We love our cocktails. GREAT sushi (not something they do every night, but when they do, WOW), outstanding staff, fantastic balcony. We're not into live music, so, do be warned they have that as well, and pick seating appropriately.

o Pools and lagoons: There are several. Of paramount importance to us was CHILD FREE. Sorry, "adult pool" - we understand there are those who like children, and like to bring them along to nice places like the Grand Hyatt, but, frankly, not everyone appreciates them. We don't. The Grand Hyatt has an Adult Pool, but, only three or four cabanas for hire near the adult pool. Interest in these cabanas FAR outstripped availability. Annoyingly, a few were reserved for the entire day and remain unused the entire day. Might be worth putting in a few more of these by the adult pool, Grand Hyatt.

Unfortunately, there were several children invading this adult pool space, which was quite off-putting, and, alas, the staff didn't really step in. Room for improvement here.

o Restaurants: All absolutely fantastic. Loved the fish around Tidepools, loved the cocktails, loved the fresh fish dinners (presumably not taken from the ones swimming next to your table, but, who knows). Dondero's Italian was spectacular, super friendly staff, wonderful meal, and a great patio for eating outside on. Highly recommended! Captain's Bar next to the adult pool was also great fun, with a very good menu of nibbles, salads, sandwiches, etc.

I'm not going to tell you what our favourite dining experience was at the Grand Hyatt, as I want to return there and keep it all for ourselves. Sorry.

I could go on and on, but, back to the title of my post: After we departed the Grand Hyatt and stayed with our friends, we decided that we needed a "soft exit" to our Hawaiian adventure; so I re-booked at the Grand Hyatt for another four or so days just a week after staying with them the first time!

When we re-arrived they tried the lei's and beads thing again and we politely declined. It's a truly lovely touch for those who want it, but, for us, we just needed to see the doors to Stevenson's open.

This time we had a room that looked out over the adult pool area and was absolutely perfect. We managed to rent a cabana for a day (sadly NOT in the adult pool area; twas all they had), enjoyed the sun, the shade, the spa (well, my wife enjoyed the spa), the rain (get used to it, it'll pass in a few minutes), the beach, everything. It was the first time in my life I've ever gone back somewhere mere days after staying the first time - the Grand Hyatt is just that good.

As a matter of fact, I'm trying to book them for the end of the year right this very moment. It won't be our Birthdaversary, but, my wife's employer forces her to take her annual leave at only one specific time of the year, and she'd go insane if she had to sit around the house for a few weeks. Please tell me you'll welcome us back with open arms, Grand Hyatt Kauai! We love you! You're the only hotel I follow on Twitter!

Room Tip: Use Apple Maps or Google Maps to get a satellite view of the property and figure out the angle/view...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank howyagoin

Aloha!

I love that you celebrate a "Birthdaversary"! Of course we'll welcome you back with open arms! It would be our pleasure. Mahalo for your feedback on the cabana availability. We are constantly working on improvements in order to make our guests experience more memorable. It sounds like you were able to dine in many of our outlets, and it's ok to keep your favorite to yourself! I have a few of my own! I hope your plans workout for the end of the year. Please keep in touch and let us know if we can assist with anything!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Wow! We were really impressed with this hotel. We were planning to be active in Kauai with surfing lessons, zip lining, fishing, hiking, and sailing (and were) but we wished we had more time to just do nothing but enjoy this resort!! Food was pricy but super yummy!!! If we make it back to Hawaii again this is the place you'll find me.

Room Tip: Wing on the right in front of pools. Wing on left near grand club, spa, and meeting rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed 3 night in July. As we walked into the beautiful open lobby which looked onto the ocean we were just in awe of the natural beauty. The resort is very large and the grounds are impeccably maintained and gorgeous. Our room was nice and we all were spoiled by the special European style toilet in the bathroom. We were updated to an ocean view room and the view was amazing. My daughters and I enjoyed a message at the very comfortable spa. The staff was friendly and welcoming. Lauren at the front desk was the sweetest front desk employee I have encountered in my travels. The pools were expansive and fun. We especially enjoyed the Lagoon pool. The beach was very rough when we were there. We booked our vacation through Kay at www.mauikay.com. We used the Grand Club and enjoyed breakfast daily and free use of the spa facilities. It was a big plus to work with Kay as she helped us to plan our accommodations and time in both Kauai and Maui. We were extremely happy with all the choices and had a wonderful time in paradise. The only negative is as with all resorts the food and beverage options on the property were quite expensive.

Room Tip: If you want to walk less ask for rooms on the pool side as resort is very large. Spa side is quiete...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pat H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!