“Great property!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Traverse City, Michigan
“Great property!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Great Hyatt property - sits on the ocean and the property is unbelievable. Puts the other resorts nearby to shame. The lava showers in the spa area are a must. The food on site was a little pricey and probably not the best you can find on the island, however, it is close and convenient. Go here if you can!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Mike J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,359)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We didn't realize when we booked this trip, but my wife and I also stayed at this hotel 15 years prior. It was fantastic both times. We stayed with our 17 year old this time. Originally they gave us a room with a rollaway bed for her. It was very uncomfortable, so they moved us to a room with a king and a queen bed...at no additional charge. Service was great except for one interaction with a rather surly concierge.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is our favorite hotel in all of Hawaii. I live on Oahu and stay here when I'm traveling for work and when taking the family on staycations. This is our go-to spot for the family. We have a 2 year old and he loves the saltwater lagoon and the glowing pools at night. Love the water slide.The property is huge, so there is always somewhere secluded to take some champagne and watch the sun set. My hubby and I really enjoy the live music at night and playing pool/having drinks in the library lounge. They also now have an amenities room for people who check out and want to still swim and play - has showers, tvs, games, etc.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank AlohaGirl86
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt for the first part of our honeymoon last week. After 14 hours of traveling we were greeted by the welcoming and kind staff. When we got to our room we had a bottle of champagne waiting for us! Along with a free cabana rental during our stay. when we got to bed that night we realized our sheets seemed a little dirty and our tub too. We called housekeeping and someone was at our door in less than 5min. They were apologetic and cleaned the room completely. We did not have another problem during the rest of our stay. The breakfast included was delicious and the staff was so sweet. We really felt relaxed and at home. Every person made us feel welcome. The pools were clean and never too crowded. Any time of day we never had a problem finding seats. When we would go on an excursion for the day, valet gave us multiple towels and even water to take. I would go back there again tomorrow if I could.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
1 Thank stargem12mh
Morgan Hill, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

This was our first family trip to Kauai. The Hyatt exceeded our expectations. The resort was well maintained and the rooms were large. The service was impeccable and the restaurants were excellent. We were there during the recent tropical storm and had one day of bad weather. The Hyatt had extra activities and delivered special amenities to the rooms. I was very impressed with the hotel's communications during the storm. The atmosphere was relaxed and the pools had plenty of chairs, unlike other resorts we have stayed at. I can't wait to go back, thanks to the Hyatt for our best Hawaii vacation yet.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Beaverton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been on Kauai for more than 2 weeks. We moved to the grand hyatt so the kids could enjoy the pools and waterside. We swam last night and the pool was enjoyable. During the day it's a place to avoid. Way too many people and way too many outside (non guests) using the facilities. They even give out bands with the hotel name to people I guess just to be nice who aren't guests. People go to the pools and put towels out then leave so there is very little room to get a lounge and none of them in the shade. I had a family ask me if anyone had sat in the chairs by us I told them not in the last hour so they took the towels off the chairs and sat there I guess that's what you have to do. Rooms are very disappointing musty and just don't feel clean. If you do go to the hyatt don't get the breakfast. You have to wait 20-30 minutes for a table. Food is good but very expensive. We got it included with our room but I got tired of waiting for a table so I skipped breakfast today. If you don't mind waiting a long time, again the food is good 2 of my kids waited and liked the food. We have one more week left in Kauai and we are going to move to get away from here. This is my favorite place to golf and I'm willing to give that up also. We came to Kauai to relax and get away from people. If that's what you want this isn't the place to go. We are paying more than double for two rooms than we paid for a 3 bedroom condo that was a lot nicer than here. The really disappointing thing is to see my kids being disappointed. We made the reservation here specifically for them even though we are paying double what we would have paid other places. I'm sure people love to be around tons of people unable to swim In a pool (because of the amount of people both guests and non guests) and have shouting kids and adults around you, that's not what we came to Kauai for.
I have stayed around the world in many hotels. If you want to relax make sure you stay somewhere else.
The rest of the Kauai has been great really a great place for vacation with the family
If you want quiet get a house or a condo
Travel safe

Stayed August 2014
10 Thank Indoman60
GHKauai, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Aloha Indoman60,
I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our breakfast buffet is very popular and I know that can lead to busy times where there is a wait, we will be modifying the Ilima Terrace buffet later in the fall to improve efficiency for the breakfast buffet in hopes of mitigating wait time. We strive to keep the pool to be enjoyed by hotel guests only but are constantly facing non-guests who try to use the facilities, hence the colored wristbands given to guests so our security knows who guests are. We're set on a wide 50 acres which makes for lots of niches to find a quiet spot but certainly mid-summer the pool is the place to be. We have over 1,200 chairs and many sun-umbrellas and cabanas, I'm sorry you were not able to find a shady, quiet spot to enjoy our pools. I hope you were able to enjoy some of your time on our beautiful island. Mahalo again for the feedback.
Diann
Zionsville, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have consistently stayed at this Resort for twenty years. For the first time we were terribly disappointed in both the rooms and the hotel staff. The rooms are so sparsely furnished, we actually thought we were in a 'handicapped accessible' room ... and they are almost totally devoid of all Hawaiiana, which was so charming. They have upgraded their in-room toilets, which seems to be where their room refurbishing budget was spent. We had specifically asked for a lanai, and not to be placed on the ground floor, which although this is a huge resort, they could not accommodate. The personnel at Reception were actually rude, and seemed frustrated to have to check with a manager, who stayed behind closed doors, for all their decisions. Housekeeping was only adequate, as there were days that the beds were only partially made. We were led to believe that 'Turn Down Service' was not available ... and it was actually not listed in the in-room director of services. We did eventually find it noted as available on the back of a separate TV Channel listing. We must still state that the pool area and the restaurants are still a reason for staying here. The pool area is very large and the restaurants are still quite good. This use to be the 'Grande Dame' of Kauai, but I would have to say "not any more". If you want the efficient, friendly service and beautiful rooms that use to be available here, you will have to stay at the St. Regis in Princeville. Sadly, we will not be coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for a lanai
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank PID3213
GHKauai, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Aloha PID3213,
Thank you for taking time to write of your recent stay. Sorry to hear the resort did not exceed your expectations. We treasure our repeat guests so I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. A room renovation in 2010-2011 did bring more modernity in the furniture in the rooms with the rich mahogany dresser and nightstands. Design elements in the rooms reflect the roots of Hawaii’s plants, people and culture. The exclusive carved headboard portrays the native hapu'u fern which was used by ancient Hawaiians for pillows and bedding, art features stylized petroglyphs found in the cliffs adjacent to the hotel and the throw on the bed is a traditional kapa cloth design. I will forward your comments on Housekeeping and Front Desk to the respective managers, we appreciate your observations and will use them to improve.
Enjoy your day, Diann
P.S. I panicked for a moment thinking turn-down service was not listed in the compendium but it is there on p. 5 under Housekeeping services, sorry you did not see it there.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,199 reviews
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!