Poipu Kapili
Ranked #9 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Poipu
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Wow ... where to start? I have been traveling to Kauai on business for over five years now and this is the only place I'll ever stay, unless of course the property is fully booked. Over the years I have stayed in more condos than I can readily remember (three or four of the ocean fronts and easily the same number of pool fronts). If you're looking for an ocean view, frankly any of their condos will suffice quite nicely though. The "ocean view" condos are just that, providing a spectacular view of the Pacific right across a small two lane road. But even those that are not "ocean view" still provide an outstanding view of the Pacific as well as the pool area. All of the condos are modeled with high quality furnishings and the kitchens are completely stocked as far as utensils, dishes, etc. Many of their condos have widescreen TVs (maybe not a big deal if you're on vacation, but when you're there for work for up to two months at a time they are good to have). All condos are privately owned and many of the owners supply snorkeling and beach gear for your use.

Okay, enough about that. Let's talk about the grounds. Spacious and very well kept up with lots of plants and flowers. The pool is good sized and charcoal grills are provided for guest use by the pool. For the rest of us who are not Bobby Flay, the Kapili also has thoughtfully provided gas grills near the tennis courts (four, well kept up courts with lighting for night use by the way). The Kapili spends a large amount of time upkeeping the outside of their property to match the standards of the insides of the condos. Everything is pristine and one would have to look hard to find a flaw. Almost forgot, the main office closes at 5:00 every day. But no worry there either as they have a manager in residence (Kay) who is always available.

Finally, let's talk about the staff. Personally I find it difficult to think of such people as "staff". To me they are more like real friends. Every time I return I am greeted like a real friend and there never seems to be a limit to what they want to do for those staying on the property. Buff (the general manager), Kay (the resident manager), Tina (head of housekeeping), Mary, and all of the others that I haven't named accept nothing less than absolute excellence from one another and demand the same from themselves. One of my fondest memories of the Kapili is (since I am on business travel when I come I set out pictures of my kids), when the cleaning people clean my condo they always arrange the photos in various designs on the dining room table for me , a new design every time I come in from work.

One of my co-workers came down with a serious illness on one of our last trips and was hospitalized in Lihue. His wife flew in from the mainland to find that Buff had already set her up in a condo (which okay was to be expected), but Buff had also gone grocery shopping and made sure the pantry, the cupboard, and the refrigerator and freezer were fully stocked so that his wife would have one less thing to have to be concerned with. Then when my co-worker had to be transferred to Oahu to a larger hospital, Buff set his wife up with accomodations there through a hotelier she is familiar with. If you look at their website you will probably admire the photos of the flowers that are posted. Come to the Kapili and you can meet the photographer in person and perhaps get a few tips ... it is none other than Tina (the aforementioned head of housekeeping).

Well, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of options available to you as a traveler coming to Kauai. You can stay in a hotel, rent a condo, or rent a house. The choice is of course yours, but take it from a guy that has been going there for years (and YES I HAVE stayed elsewhere than the Kapili), there is nowhere on the Island where you can have a better stay than Koloa Town and no property there can rival the Kapili. Along that line, as I said, YES I have stayed elsewhere and if you decide not to take my advice and want to stay somewhere else ... save your vacation some bad memories and stay as far away from Poipu Shores as you possibly can.

To Buff, Tina, and all the rest ... Mahalo Nui Loa from the mainland haole with the keike!

Room Tip: The ocean front condos catch the best of the breezes, but then again many have a/c
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank robert c

Reviewed 29 October 2011

Who? Me, wife, daughter (age 11)
When? October 15-23, 2011 (8 nights)

After deciding to make our first visit to Kauai the next decision to make was a place to stay. Although I was biased toward the Poipu area due to wanting a higher probability of great weather I also considered the north shore. Initially the choice was between the Grand Hyatt Kauai and the St Regis Princeville, but just before I was going to make my choice I got an email from jetsetter.com (or some similar site) offering a great deal at Poipu Kai. This got me poking around the internet, especially TA, and I found Poipu Kapili. Some further digging led me to unit #54, which is managed independently from the units represented on the Poipu Kapili web site. Unit #54 has its own website, which is very detailed.

I contacted the owner of #54, Cynthia, and she was very quick to respond with answers to all of my questions. Dealing with her via email and phone was very easy. She quickly responds to your questions and wants to make sure you are satisifed with the information that you receive. This is the first time that I have ever vacationed by dealing with a private homeowner and if everyone is as great as Cynthia then I may never stay in a hotel again.

The Poipu Kapili property is well documented on its web site so I'll try to add a few thoughts that aren't mentioned as frequently.
- The complex is 30 years old but is in great shape.
- The grounds are immaculately maintained. There were always crews on the grounds working on the landscaping, cleaning, etc. By 8:00 a.m. every morning the pool deck had been cleaned, the bbqs had been cleaned, and the pool was being cleaned.
- The complex was very quiet. There are approximately 60 units and at least 50 are managed by the on-site rental agency. I was told that there might be two units in the complex that are not used as rentals, and even those two are not year-round residents. What this means is that during certain months of the year you will probably see many fewer people than you might expect. During our vacation there was never anyone on either side of us and I can't imagine if at any time there were more than 20 occupied units.
- The road (the only thing separating Poipu Kapili from the ocean) is not a high-traffic spot. Road noise was never an issue. The construction behind Poipu Kapili is not an issue either, especially if you are staying ocean front.
- The on-site rental management company is not associated with this unit but you can still go to them for questions or to buy a daily newspaper. I found them to be extremely nice and helpful.
- The tennis courts, as I have found all over Hawaii, are not in perfect condition. However, these were in better shape than those at Turtle Bay or Kapalua. I played tennis every day, and all you need to do is go into the management office to make a reservation.
- There are two nice bbqs between the pool and the ocean that require you to provide the coals. These grills are cleaned every day and we used them for three dinners - very nice.
- There are two gas grills by the tennis courts but you can't even see the ocean from them so I'm not sure why anyone would want to use them.
- The sea wall across the street from the property is a very popular spot for people to watch the sunset. I was very surprised at how many people were there every evening. You can easily tell the difference between the locals and the tourists. The locals are the ones (almost all men) smoking, playing their music too loud, making catcalls at passing women, and leaving their beer bottles behind.
- The beach in front of Poipu Kapili is all lava rock - there is no sand. Just walk a couple of minutes to the east to Kiahuna (Sheraton) beach for a great time.
- If you walk down the sea wall to the west a few hunderd feet I can almost guarantee you will see sea turtles.

Unit #54 is nicely furnished and maintained in good condition. It is considered oceanfront and your living room and master bath are right on top of the ocean. If you like the noise of the waves then you'll love this unit. The unit is 1,800+ square feet with two bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs, and a bathroom, kitchen, dining area, laundry room, and living room downstairs. Cynthia provides all the beach toys you could want, and has a lot of books, CDs, and DVDs. There is wireless internet and a nice desk you can work at if you need to. The kitchen is well stocked with all the dishes you'll need, and a fair amount of cooking supplies. Air conditioning units are in each of the bedrooms - we didn't use these (they cost extra) and in hindsight we might have done so as the layout of the buildings somewhat stunts the cooling ability of the tradewinds. The bathrooms are nice and have some amount of shampoo, conditioner, etc. for you to use.

Bottom line - For less than the price of a hotel room at the Hyatt (which gives you about 500 square feet?) I got this big oceanfront condo. I would not hesitate to book through Cynthia again and I highly recommend Poipu Kapili and unit#54 for those who want a great Kauai vacation. Thank you Cynthia!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ASU_Sundevils
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I was extremely pleased with the Poipu Kapili. We normally use Starwood properties, but chose a condo this time. I was a little worried because there are so many varied reviews on tripadvisor, but the Poipu Kapili exceeded my expectations. The resort property was well maintained and had great facilities (pool, tennis courts, gas grills, charcoal grills, plenty of parking). The location was convenient and had a great view. I think all the condo's had some sort of ocean view, but some obviously better than others. Ours was is the back corner, but we could still see and hear the ocean. Kauai does not have many properties that are beachfront (at least sandy with swimming) - usually only the big name hotels. The Poipu Kapili is in front of a rocky stretch of waterfront - beautiful, but you can't swim there. The sandy beach in front of the Sheraton is only 500 meters away.

The condo unit was great - new furniture and tasteful decorations. We chose a unit that had in-house washer/dryer and air conditioning. Both are a must! I loved being able to drop all the beach towels and gear into the washer every night. I'm from the South where I live in 68 degree air conditioning 365 days a year. I would not consider a place without A/C even though the temperatures and breeze at night are nice. The unit also had all the desired kitchen utensils, nice beach chairs and umbrella.

Overall I highly recommend the Poipu Kapili. I would make sure to get current photos of the unit you are renting - the amenities and decor can vary between the units.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BobB554
Reviewed 25 October 2011

After much research on the Internet we chose Poipu Kapili for our first visit to Kauai. We couldn't have been happier with our choice. We were so comfortable in the very spacious 1 bedroom condo that we choose- unit 23. Not only was it very nicely decorated, it had a washer and dryer and ac in the bedroom (which we hardly used). The complex is so well maintained, the landscaping is lush and colorful. The management was friendly and helpful. The location was perfect, we could walk to many places, but our favorite place was sitting on the lanai and watching the ocean. You will not be disappointed if you choose to stay at Poipu Kapili!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grandmakate
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Poipu Kapili Resort in Kauai with my family. I stayed in Unit 47 -- which I strongly recommend. The one bedroom unit really functions like a two bedroom and has all the things you would want. It has two large, recently renovated bathrooms and a washer/dryer - which is invaluable once you start stacking up wet towels from the pool and the beach. It has two big flat screen tvs. A nice stereo for listening to Hawaiian music in the evenings. It's on the ground floor--with a nice patio that looks out at the ocean. It feels like the pool and the ocean are your front yard!

I don't know why anyone would stay at the Sheraton next door, when you can stay here, have your own kitchen and laundry, and still use the same beach that the folks at the Sheraton use.

Room Tip: I loved Unit 47 -- comes with all the things you would want--tv, stereo, washer/dryer, fully equippe...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate A
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed in unit #33, a one bedroom ground floor unit in building 4. It was a really enjoyable stay and would highly recommend it. I had read good things about Kapili and was not disappointed. The complex is run very well, and looks as if was built last year. Everything inside and out was in top shape. Check-in was smooth and everyone we encountered was very pleasant. I wanted an ocean view, and was a little concerned about this ground floor unit in the back building being too far way for a good view. I was happy to find out that the view was great, with the water in plain view from the living room and kitchen, framed by palm trees and the beautiful gardens. Whoever the landscape architect for the project was should be congratulated for doing a great job landscaping for beauty and privacy. I was also a bit worried about construction noise from the Koloa Landing project behind Kapili, but there was none.
The unit is well furnished, large (as all the units there are), in very good condition and stocked with everything needed to make dinner. We had several breakfasts and dinners out on the lanai, which was tucked away beneath bamboo palms and surrounded by gardens, with the ocean in the background. That view is now my screen saver.
Poipu Kapili is in a great location. We walked to both the Poipu Shopping Center and the new Kukui'ula shopping village for restaurants. We walked to the Kiahuna beach (3 minute walk) and Poipu Beach most every day. Watching the sunset at the wall in front of Kapili was fun and seems to be a nightly ritual for many of the people there.
All in all, it was a great week, and will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tomtravel
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Unit 16 provided a partial ocean view and opened to middle courtyard and pool. Landscaping gave a private feel to the lanai area. Very spacious rooms, ideal for our family. Great location, easy walk to Sheraton beach and so much nicer to stay in a condo than hotel! Well maintained complex. Everything worked great. Office staff friendly and helpful. Poipui is a great location to explore the entire island. Lovely sunsets and quiet area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family