“Would stay here again and again”
Review of Poipu Kapili

Poipu Kapili
Ranked #9 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Poipu
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Unit 26 was awesome!!!! We did a lot of looking around for a place to stay for our week visit and a condo is the way to go. It was beautiful, comfortable and a great location. The staff was friendly and helpful. Wish we had a few more days to just enjoy the room, pool and facilities. By far, our best vacation and one of our favorite condos.

Room Tip: Our condo was centrally located and had an awesome view of the pool and the ocean. We were on the se...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SpfldForestGump

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Poipu Kapili was perfect for our family of four with two teenage daughters. We loved having only a short walk to the beach in front of the Sheraton, while other days we explored different beaches to the north and west. Unit 14 is very well provisioned with just about every dish, utensil, and cookware you may need. (Owners, you might consider adding some more bowls.) The furnishings are relatively new and tasteful. The AC upstairs was critical for comfortable sleeping during our July stay. We loved waking each morning to a lovely ocean view. We'll definitely consider Poipu Kapili for our next adventure to Kauai!

Room Tip: We chose unit 14 by the pool to avoid road noise we heard about related to the ocean front units. W...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PoseyDenver
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our family of four recently stayed in #23, and all our expectations were surpassed. Each room was larger than I had anticipated, and the decor was tasteful and functional. All the amenities were there -- kitchen supplies, washer/dryer w/detergent, beach chairs, umbrella, boogie board. A/C in the bedroom was fabulous but just as they said at the front desk, you only need to use it sparingly. Such a short walk to the pool, which my kids (4 and 7) adored. The people in the office were genuinely warm and caring about our experience, and happy to help in any way they could. We LOVED our stay here, so glad we opted for this experience over the nearby resorts. We were so sad to leave!

Room Tip: #23 was excellent!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DayZBlu
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I really enjoy staying at Poipu Kapili. This was my 5th stay here, and the condos are wonderful, and the location is very nice as well. Walking distance to several restaurants, the spouting horn and beaches.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nathan H
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I called when I arrived (10:00am) and was greeted by Jessica who seemed to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed. I was inquiring if our condo (#14) was ready and she responded with an irritated 'no' and that check in is not til 4p. I was taken aback because I had experienced the most wonderful customer service from Buff when booking my reservation. Jessica's annoyance made me feel unwelcomed. when we finally checked in (4:15p) I noticed that there were dirty towels shoved into the hallway closet and a ball of hair in the tub. minus those setbacks the unit itself is pretty decent. after checking in all my kids wanted to do was cool off in the pool. since we had an hour to spare before dinner reservations I took them for a swim. while the kids were enjoying themselves in the pool a dark haired Caucasian man with facial hair approached them and started scolding them. I told him that he shouldn't be scolding my kids and that he needs to talk to me. he questioned if we were guests and said that the pool is an amphitheater so my kids need to be quiet because it's too loud. they're kids for crying out loud and the sun was still out. you can count us out on ever staying here again. although we got a good deal I would rather spend my money where there's ALOHA.

Stayed: July 2014
9  Thank HoneyGirl D
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was a hard place for me to review. For the most part it was a 5 star stay but for one staff member and the over the top rules enforcing quiet at the pool. If you are traveling without children - you will LOVE this place. With children - I have some hesitation on returning.

The bad first - the pool area has the list of rules that was apparently written by the older retired owners who do not want to be disturbed by children. No splashing. No jumping. Now loud voices. No organized games - seriously THIS is a written rule. Amongst MANY others. When we first saw it we laughed and said they should replace it with a sign saying "Welcome to the No Fun pool".

I had my kids (12 & 15) and during the week they made some friends. After seeing the rules not enforced all week - we had a group game of Marco Polo for about 6 kids. After about 10 minutes a manager ( did not give his name nor did he offer that he was a manager until asked) came out with - as my wife said - Guns Blazing. He apparently did not see me in a corner of the pool nor my wife sitting in a chair. He was basically a bully to the kids. Did not ask them to quiet down in a positive way. He demanded to know what units they were staying in. When one said he didn't know the unit number the guy said that obviously they werent staying there - so not only were they breaking the rules but they were trespassing and had to leave immediately. That was when I decided to speak up and ask him to chill a bit. He became very upset that someone would question him and DEMANDED my unit number. It went on and on until he finally left and the kids just stood in the pool and talked for awhile longer.

We had nearly forgotten this event until check out. An older woman at the desk - upon learning what unit I stayed in - kept a smile on her face but started talking down to me and commented about my disruptive children.

Although we loved the location, the unit and most everything about this condo - I'm very hesitant to return or to recommend it to families. Such a bummer since it was otherwise a fantastic 10 day stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank LostWages21
xntrc2b, President, Board of Directors at Poipu Kapili, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Poipu Kapili owners and rental agents appreciates all reviews and thanks you for taking time to write about your stay. We take pride in our property and are glad you enjoyed your vacation overall. Many families enjoy our property as a small community style resort. As Board President, I felt it important to follow up on this review.

Our pool is in the center of the property and noise from the pool area radiates out towards all the buildings. The pool is 3-6' deep and we have had the same pool rules for well over 20 years. The rules are enforced for the enjoyment and safety of everyone; normal closing time for the pool is 9:00 pm in the summer.

This game of Marco Polo caught the manager's attention between 8-8:30 p.m. as he had received complaints about the noise level. When the manager approached the pool some people were diving and doing flips into the pool and yelling to each other in addition to the Marco Polo game going on. Diving into the pool can be unsafe at any time but after dark, with 10 or more people in the pool, it is extremely risky. In order to get anyone's attention the property manager felt he had to yell above the noise that was being made. He apologizes for it being interpreted as 'guns blazing'; it was simply necessary in order to be heard. Our manager is tasked with ensuring there is respect for all guests by enforcing our House Rules and Pool Rules as well as being sure that those using the pool and grounds are guests at Poipu Kapili. The Association and the rental company stands behind him. We hope your stay was otherwise delightful. D. Alongi, President, Poipu Kapili Board of Directors

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our stay at Poipu Kapili exceeded our expectations. This 3rd floor penthouse condo (#27) was even better than the website pictures indicated. Beautiful, modern kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms & even the TV's had been more recently updated than the pics on the website had indicated, so there was very little to complain about in this condo. Boogie boards, coolers, snorkeling gear - this condo had it all. Kitchen was stocked with everything you could possibly need. Fabulous, peaceful view of the beautifully landscaped grounds & of the pool & ocean straight ahead from the large lanai. An early 11am check in time was given to us since no one was staying in the condo the previous night. My son was able to check out tennis rackets for use during our stay as well. All our interactions with the staff showed their dedication to excellent customer service. Room air conditioners used for sleeping were helpful. The only downside to these condos (& most all condos on Kauai) is that there is no central air conditioning in the main living areas of the condo - it was hot & very humid when the tradewinds died down during our stay. Other than that, Poipu Kapili is the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family