“unit 321 - Home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poipu
Prince Kuhio Condos
Ranked #12 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Poipu
St. George, Utah
“unit 321 - Home away from home”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Each unit has a different owner and looks completely different, so search for reviews of the unit you want. Unit 321 was comfortable and well equipped.
One bedroom with balcony overlooking park and view of ocean. One bathroom - shower only, no tub. Full kitchen, dining table comfortable for 4 people and living area with sofa & 2 chairs with window overlooking pool/garden area.
Room has: hairdryer, iron & ironing board, enough bath towels for 4 people, all kitchen needs including blender, toaster, toaster oven, microwave, coffee maker & filters, dish soap and new sponge. Also: 2 beach chairs, 2 boogie boards, 2 fins, 2 snorkels, and beach towels. Free wifi, 2 TVs, CD player. One umbrella (regular, not beach). The bed is king size, a bit soft (we prefer firm), but was still very comfortable.
One small table and 2 chairs on the balcony. None of the balconies are private. We met a few neighbors while sitting out on the balcony.
There is no air conditioner, but with the windows opened for a nice breeze, there is no need. No washer and dryer in the unit.
The pool is not heated so it is a bit "refreshing". Some people complained that the pool looked dirty - it's not. The bottom of the pool is painted black, but the water was crystal clear and clean. I did talk to someone who works there and she told me the pool area is going to be completed redone soon (was it because of too many complaints of a dirty pool?).
As far as the roosters, they are everywhere in Kauai, so just accept it!
There are 2 parking locations: outside right in front of the Prince Kuhio, or the parking garage with the entrance at the next hotel. We had no problems finding parking spots in the garage.
Location is great for walks to Spouting Horn in one direction (about 20 minute walk), or in the other direction to the Kukui'ula shopping center (about 7 minutes walk) with lots of good restaurants and shops.
Great snorkeling spot in front of the Beach House restaurant across the street. Better than Poipu beach snorkeling.
Beach House restaurant was good but pricey. If you want the exact same sunset view, go and sit on the lawn in front of the restaurant then come back for dinner in the room or somewhere else.
Just so some of you readers won't be disappointed, I would like to say that the furniture, and the unit in general, is not new/updated/special. On the other hand, I feel so terrible saying that because I really liked this place and hate to write anything but good things about it. This unit was clean, more than adequate, as comfortable as home and definitely worth the price. If you want luxury accommodations with granite counters, designer sheets and daily maid service, there are plenty of other places in Poipu to spend your money.
We have stayed at several places in different areas of Kauai, but now that I have found this place, it is the only one that I definitely will be back to. I can't wait to stay here again!

Room Tip: No elevators, so if you can't or don't want to carry your luggage up, look for a 1st floor u...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StaceyDoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was a studio in the back of the building facing the Prince Kuhio Park. The back of the building (away from the road) doesn't have as much of a view of the ocean as the units toward the front but it also is further from the road and seemed more private. The ocean was also easily seen from the lanai so we ate breakfast out there everyday. It is a small-ish studio that was perfect for 2. It didn't seem like it had been recently updated but we liked it that way. We snorkeled at Prince Kuhio Park (difficult entry, moderate to poor visibility), and saw at least 15 sea turtles one morning including the biggest ones we've ever seen anywhere (we're avid divers). We also saw a moray eel. The turtles weren't scared of us so we took a lot of pictures with an underwater camera. The real estate company was easy to work with, plenty of parking in the garage next door (you have to LOOK for it), pretty grounds. Beach stuff available in the unit like old camp chairs, some snorkel gear and beach towels. A/C was great. Chickens run around in the park. Really no complaints. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 just because it's a little older/run down. I was perfectly happy there though!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Allison P
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We booked this unit through Kauai Vacation Rentals and VRBO, and were very pleasantly surprised when we entered the suite. 2-9 is very large with an enormous bedroom, plenty of living space, a roomy bathroom and loads of closet area. The kitchen is small (a galley style), but since it is connected to the living area, it just feels like one big, open roomy space. We were extremely comfortable here.

The lanai opens up to a sideways view of the ocean, but the fact that we had a front door AND a lanai meant the cross breezes blew through wonderfully..we were always cool in the unit, no matter the time of day.

The location was good, but we were under the impression that large beaches were closer; the beach directly across the street was very tiny, and since we enjoy long walks in the sand, we needed to go elsewhere. We found some amazing beaches in Poi Pu as we drove down Poi Pu road though, so we used our tiny "across the street" beach to watch the sun go down every night...UTTERLY BREATHTAKING.

The one thing we would like to mention is that there are no staff on site at Prince Kuhio; we had come from a property in Maui where the managers were physically available every day. so this was a big disappointment to us. If you rent this unit, be aware that phone communication is the only way to get assistance, and only if the office is open.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, and would recommend Unit 2-9.

1 Thank debbie29n
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We booked this room sight unseen, and were absolutely delighted! We were on the park side with a beautiful view of the ocean. Yes, the neighbors are on either side, but people were friendly, and most often not even there! Yes, there are roosters crowing, but if you don't like to hear roosters crowing, go to Maui. They are ubiquitous here, and you either love them or hate them. The unit was beautifully maintained and super comfortable and close to many beaches. The pool is clean and nice, but we preferred to go to the beach at Poipu State Park. Very, very quiet at night, and we could hear the surf breaking from our room. We will stay here again!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary S
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We found this property through homeaway.com, listing #170517. the unit is exactly as described on the site. The price was good compared to similar units in the area. The whole unit is very compact, but it has everything you need. There were lots of supplies that you could use (paper towels, toilet paper, toiletries, beach towels). In the kitchen and bathroom everything was functional, no issues with anything. Although we booked the unit because it has AC, we didn't have to use it. The ceiling fan and the louvered windows was enough to keep the unit cool.
The location of the unit is at the end of the building, so it felt very private. We liked the roosters and the birds singing in the morning. Lawai beach is across the road from the complex, the fish there are not afraid to get close to you. More than at Poipu beach. A good grocery store is a 5-min. drive to Koloa, with decent prices and good choices. The food stores in Poipu and Kukui'ula are a bit pricey, but they are closer to the unit.
We enjoyed our stay and we'll definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Sorin300865
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I just spend 2 weeks in Kauai and stayed in this beautiful unit, March 1 - 15, 2014. The pictures do not lie, it is that amazing and very tastefully decorated. The location was great, walking distance to the little shopping center, the wall at the Beach House restaurant where we met a lot of our neighbors to watch the sunset. Everything we needed was provided by Julie and Darryl in the unit, from the beach chairs, towels and umbrella, to the lovely card send to us prior to our arrival with directions from the airport to the card they left for us upon our arrival. I would recommend this unit to anyone, you will not be disappointed.

4 Thank Michelle N
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband & I travel to Hawaii every year, this was our first time on Kauai, but not our first time using VRBO vacation rentals. The reviews for this property online were great, unit 235, so we figured even though the price was fairly low, it must be a great find. We booked through VRBO, company PCR. The property is an older property, but the grounds weren't too bad. The pool however looked very dirty and the water was ice cold. The first night we were in the room, which was in decent condition, a cockroach came running out of the paper towel holder when I reached up to get paper towels. This was a HUGE turn-off! And before you tell me, "this is Hawaii and cockroaches are normal", keep in mind that I have stayed in SEVERAL properties on all 4 of the main Hawaiian Islands and this is the first time we have had this issue. All of the other properties have had good pest control, and I might add, they have been all price levels. The cockroach skittered behind the fridge- I wasn't about to move the fridge to find it. The rental company was notified when they called to check on this-- I wouldn't have called them to report it. We were told to squirt them with dish soap..... which in my opinion could have turned into a big mess! Had a few other bug issues, again a big turn off. I wasn't about to cook or eat in the unit- and we kept what little food we brought in- inside of the fridge. Aside from the bug issue, the room was in pretty decent shape for the age. We were not impressed with the Lanai, as you can see neighbors on both sides if you have the curtains open- not to mention if you are out on the lanai. This was a turn off as you had to be very careful about having curtains open- as people could see right in. I was afraid to shower & come out to my suitcase to get clothes unless everything was closed up tight. The chair & table on lanai need replacement, they are small wicker furniture mostly for looks. Besides the bugs, our biggest complaint was the pool. I had found another property in Poipu I was going to rent, but the pool was being worked on so we declined as we love to swim. As it turned out, we couldn't swim at Prince Kuhio anyway as the pool was ice cold, and while it seems there are several pools in Hawaii that aren't heated, this pool was very shady so it didn't get much sun during the day to help heat it. In addition, the bottom is black and filthy looking. I did report this issue to the management company and she told me that she called the property maintenance and was told that the pool is clean, that the bottom always looks like this and that it's going to be replaced next summer. This is information I would have liked to have known before booking. I also want to add that, while we were there- we saw NO ONE swimming in the pool at all, and only one day did we even see people sitting at the pool.
After day two of bug issues, we decided to book a room in a hotel, as we were not impressed with the situation. I reported to PCR that we would be leaving due to bugs & pool, and she ordered a pest control company to come in and spray. They told us they could spray when we were there and our stuff didn't need to be taken out of the room..... however I was not comfortable with this, so we checked out even a day sooner than we had planned to.
The best way to look at this property is, it is great for people who don't care if they have use of a pool and won't be in the room much. I believe with proper pest control the bugs won't be an issue.
I am however disappointed that we weren't offered any kind of refund, as I should not have to cohabitate with bugs, nor should I breath in toxic fumes from pest control.

7 Thank Traci H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue

Been to Prince Kuhio Condos? Share your experiences!