“Heavenly Kauai”

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston
“Heavenly Kauai”
Reviewed 5 April 2011

This was our first time to Kauai and the Westin very nice. The studio rooms are very large with a kitchen and eveything you need a week or extended stay.

The grounds are beautiful and they have several swimming pools and activities on a daily bases.

We are SPG Gold members and really enjoy Starwood properties.

Wendy was the best concierge we had; very friendly and took the time to make sure our plans, stay, and vacation was going well. Listen to her suggestions as she has the inside scoop.

Avoid Natalie at the conierge desk as she was very rude to us and it was apparent we were bothering her with very simple questions about Kauai and our stay. My wife spoke with the manager Jennifer about her, and Jennifer basically made excuses for Natalie's behavior. This was somewhat disappointing and concerning how Jennifer handled this situation; being a lead person or member of management.

Overall, the staff here was excellent and the Sunday brunch is not to be missed!

We will be back! You cannot go wrong with your Kauai stay at the Westin.

1 Thank TheShadow32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I'm SPG Gold so I think I was upgraded to a 1BR suite. It was gorgeous, had a fully equipped kitchen, dining table, washer dryer, and had a little deck that faced some grass and a parking lot but many others had better views.

The room was immaculate, seemed brand new. Great shower and jacuzzi. There was a market attached to the lobby that everything from wine to sports to starbucks coffee and offered delicious breakfast. We went exploring or hiking almost every day and having this as a provision store was perfect. Plus if you forgo getting your room made up they give you $10 to spend on food at the market. Nice deal.

The pool was great, heated and the grounds were so well kept. Restaurant there was actually really good as well.

There is no direct beach access from the hotel which is a shame. But you have beach rights at the St. Regis and man was that pretty. Right to the side of the hotel is a steep, dirt path that does lead to a gorgeous beach though. It's not the snorkeling mecca people claim though. Go to tunnels or ke'e instead.

Kauai is amazing and this was a great stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Paoli, Indiana
Reviewed 2 April 2011

This property was fantastic! We traded a timeshare through Interval for a studio villa. We were given a room with a beautiful ocean and golf course view which was unexpected. The villa was plenty big for our family of three. Our son was able to sleep on the pull out couch which he said was comfortable. Our "heavenly" bed was also extremely comfortable and my husband and I slept great during our entire stay. Self-parking was free and so was wireless internet. The pools were all really nice but the one closest to the ocean was our favorite because of the beautiful views. We didn't eat at the restaurant but did buy items in the Princeville Market which was convenient. Make sure to take advantage of the Westin's beach access at the St. Regis Hotel. The beach is nice and the hotel has unbelievable views of Hanalei Bay. We didn't use Westin's complimentary transportation to the St. Regis but just took our own car. Valet parking there was fast and easy. We absolutely loved the Westin and the entire Hanalei area and would love to return in the future.

Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2011

My sister and I stayed at the Westin Princeville from March 21-25, and we thoroughly enjoyed our time here. I am a SPG Platinum member, and having read the hotel's terms and conditions, was expecting not to get an upgrade. The lady who checked us in upgraded us to a one bedroom suite, for which I was pleasantly surprised. The suite itself was AMAZING! It was huge! It seemed as though it was "sterile" clean. We also had a great view of the property.

The property itself is also beautiful. The restaurant is next to a waterfall, which adds to the relaxation of dining. The food at the restaurant was also pretty good, but beware that the portions are huge, especially the steak and the lamb dishes (personally, I would recommend the fish specials). The pools are also comfortable, but pretty shallow. The staff are very friendly; from the valets, to the front desk staff, to the housekeeping staff, all were friendly, polite, and helpful.

The only drawback, as some others have mentioned, is that the hotel has a much earlier check out time of 10am, compared to other hotels (12pm). Even as a Platinum member, they were unwilling to budge for a noon checkout, which I didn't completely understand because housekeeping never cleaned our room until after 12pm during the time there. It was almost as though they wanted you out as soon as they could to move on to the next customers.

Despite this drawback, it is an awesome hotel in an awesome location, and I would highly recommend this property, especially to people trvlling with a large number of family members or friends.

1 Thank Jay T
Portland, OR
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We are SV owners here and visited for the first time. I have to say in comparison the Maui Westin at Kaanapali is better mostly because its on the beach. I was a little annoyed that they didn't offer us an ocean view on check in, but since the property is on a bluff you dont have much of a view anyway. The service was good and the 1BR deluxe has a great space and fabulous kitchen. The kitchen has toaster, and blender in addition to a microwave. We had most of our meals in there, and only shopped at the Foodland at Princeville. The shuttle service to the St Regis (gorgeous hotel!) is great and convenient if you want beach access. The beach there is great for snorkeling. Our daughter loved the kids pool. This is a great location for quiet relaxation. The tranquility pools and hot tub were nice. They have activities like Yoga and Power walks in the am. You really need at least a week to enjoy the resort as well as see the island.

1 Thank rkwpnw
Reisterstown, Maryland
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I booked my stay with Westin Princeville Villa on a recent trip to Kauai Hawaii in which I got married and celebrated by birthday. My husband and I stayed for the week of March 6th and our stay on the property was beyond perfect. The service, room, food along with everything else in between was simply marvelous! This was our first trip to Hawaii and I was really afraid I would choose the wrong location and hotel; prior to this trip I heard people complain that they didn’t get the tropical experience as some parts of Hawaii is too modernized, they felt as if they were visiting any ordinary city that contained too many sky scrapers with overly populated streets. I certainly didn’t want that experience considering I was traveling all the way across the country coming from Maryland. The island of Kauai is stunning and the grounds of Westin Princeville are breathtaking if you’re looking for paradise on earth then this is the place. Just as a heads up to people of color who plan to visit; the islanders don’t see many people of color so their mannerism was a little off putting however, once you step foot back on the resort grounds everyone is equally treated as royalty.

1 Thank blkbty
Antelope, California
Reviewed 14 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Princeville Villas from March 3rd, 2011 to the 11th of March. We had 8 nights and 9 days to experience every aspect of this resort. Our check in procedure was easy and quick. Our room was nicely upgraded for us due to it being our anniversary at no additional cost; however they did try to bargain with me at first and then just gave it to us. The room was beautiful. Full kitchen, couch, two T.V.'s, master bedroom, jacuzzi tub, full shower and a laundry area! yes!! a washer and dryer were in the room. The kitchen has everything you can imagine to prepare meals. Even dishes and cookware. The grills outdoor are spectacular. If you do not like to eat out, buy your groceries and the Villa can offer everything else. Here's the bad part. Our room was 6305 and if you peaked your head out off the balcony to the right, you could see the ocean. That's not the bad part...the bad part was the resort went thru a pipe break scare and ended up having a crane and two huge trucks outside of our room for 1 1/2 days (nights) and all we heard and saw were these trucks and their roars. After that was over, we were woken up at 6:45 A.M. by the huge tractor that was mowing the golf course below our window. I felt like I needed to come home to get some sleep! The hotel manager was very apologetic however offered no compensation or anything for the disturbance. Our room was "usually" cleaned. We were totally missed one day and would have been a second day but I knipped the situation. The market on the property offers pre-made breakfast sandwiches that they just heat up in the microwave. 3 out of our 9 mornings there, our food was either forgotten to be microwaved or was semi-cold. Our coffee drinks were wrong daily.
If I didn't get such a good deal on the whole vacation package, I would say the value wasn't as much as they claim it to be but for what I paid, it was. I was dissapointed however at the lack of offering from the management staff as far as compensating us in some way for the noise disturbances. Who goes to Hawaii to see cranes and trucks off their balcony and hear the roar for almost two days? If they would have offered $50 bucks I would have forgotten about it...it's just the point and irritation they didn't offer anything. Kinda dissapointing. As far as the location, it was perfect. Very nice car valet employees...very nice front desk people. The concierege's are helpful until they hear you are not interested in buying into their property. At that point, book your own events! :) Shop for this resort under the deal packages. Do not pay full price...then you might be dissapointed.
P.S. The massage services on the property are amazing!! You must try them. Also the restaurant is very good. Drinks and salads are amazing!

5 Thank G0ffs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!