“Perfect for our fall honeymoon”

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Perfect for our fall honeymoon”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights from late September through early October for our honeymoom. We paid $125/night (bid on Priceline) and thought it was excellent value for that price. Our room was a studio. We loved that we had a fully stocked kitchen, including a full-sized refrigerator, a great coffee pot, a dishwasher, and a washer and dryer. For three of our six nights, we grilled fish purchased at the Hanalei Dolphin Fish Market on the Westin's awesome grills. The grills are new, propane, and they are cleaned everyday. The kitchen has all the grill tools that you need.

Every morning, we made coffee in the coffee pot. Housekeeping even restocked our coffee so we never had to purchase any from the hotel store. We loved the dual shower heads. The washer and dryer was so handy to wash our wet and sandy beach towels and clothes. I really didn't even notice that we didn't have an ocean view from our room, or that the hotel wasn't right on the beach. Honestly, if you come to Kauai and never leave the resort, I think you are missing out.

We ventured over to the St. Regis and enjoyed a late afternoon in the beach side lounge chairs. The view really is incredible, but man, those cocktails are like $15 each! We found the Westin's happy hour prices were very reasonable, and we found the pool side cocktail servers to be very attentive.

We had no problems with unruly kids, but I'm guessing that is partly because we were there in an off-season. Most guests seemed to be in the 40-60s.

You should know that bed in the studio is a queen. If you want a king, you'll need to upgrade to a 1 bedroom.

Other than the fact that we didn't get to sleep in a king sized bed, I have no complaints about this hotel. I loved having a kitchen, laundry, and access to grills. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RGL25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Korean first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This is an outstanding property - we had brunch at the restaurant on Sunday, great food; the service is outstanding - the staff responded to each request quickly, professionally and called shortly after to ensure we were satisified. The rooms are very comfortable and we were joined by friends who used the studio lock-off.

The roosters though, quickly go from being a novelty to a nuisance. They start crowing at 4:30 AM, often right outside your window. If you like to sleep with windows open, you will be woken up early. Even with windows closed, you will hear it. I understand they are a Kauai institution, but they definitely have a negative impact at this property.

Room Tip: I'm an owner here on our 2nd visit to the property - most rooms have good to great views; buildi...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank aspen5
Novato
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Having stayed at this property two previous times in the past year, I have to agree with most of the positive reviews. However, it is set up like a time share property and you seem to have no control over the location of your room when you check in. We were fortunate enough on our two prevoius stays to get nice rooms on upper floors in buildings with views, albiet obstructed, but nonetheless very nice overall. We enjoy breaking up our Kauai vacations between the Hanalei Bay area and Poipu, where we always stay at the Grand Hyatt. We booked at the Westin 6 months prior to our arrival, and "requested" upper floors in either building 4 or 7. It was our parents 60th Anniversary and we wanted to share a trip to Kauai with them one last time. Upon arriving on a Monday at the check in time of 4:00 PM, we were told they only had rooms on the bottom floor in building 5, only feet from the busy parking lot. After explaining we'd like to get our parents a better room for their anniversary,we were told by the front desk the ONLY option was a room on the other side of the property. We are SPG members and thought having booked so early we would get at least somewhat better rooms. When we asked if we could check out the "other" option, we were told we had to make a decision right now, as the few rooms left were being assigned as we spoke. We decided to call the Hyatt to see if we could check in early and they were able to accomodate us without hesitation in our requested ocean view rooms. However, we were told even though the Westin was 100% occupied that week, we would still be required to pay for that nights stay, plus an additional night as well. Well, we decided to stay the one night and pay over $1,600 for the two rooms just to get out of there! What a dissappointing way to start at vacation. If you want a choice in rooms, you're much better off at the Hanalei Colony Resort just up the road where the views are spectacular and you know exactly what room you'll be getting.

Room Tip: This is a time share type property and all the rooms are the same price so "requesting" a...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MarinCountyJohn
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Hotel is nice and the view is great but I'm a big nature freak and I just couldn't get away into the wilderness (this is one of the few trips we took and didn't have a rental car). We were able to get down to a beach but this resort is really made for people who aren't interested in the wild!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank panthurdreams
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I was a little reluctant to book the Westin after reading some reviews. I am a very light sleeper and the negatives regarding the a/c noise were of concern. Our AAA travel agent was so positive we went ahead and booked.
We arrived in the early evening without our bags as they had missed the connection. I was able to arrange at the front desk that they call us if before 10pm otherwise keep them till morning. They arrived just before 10 and the hotel desk sent them to our room.
We spent 6 days at the Westin and then moved to the Sheraton on the south shore and we immediately regretted it. There is no comparison.
We had a full kitchen, living room, bathroom as large as many rooms with a separate whirlpool, toliet and glass shower, double sinks with beautiful granite tops. The shuttered door to whirlpool opens into bedroom and since we had a partial ocean view I could see it from the bathroom.
The kitchen is stocked with almost everything, knives,bbq utensils, coffee maker, toaster, corningware casseroles, pot and pans, corkscrew, wine glasses ( no champagne glasses though and no salt and pepper). The only stock coffee and dish detergent etc. once then you have to purchase at store.
The heavenly bed was heaven, linens soft, pillows great and I am VERY picky. ave special mattress and thermapedic pillow at home. The room was quiet. On the second floor no hall noise or outside noise. If we were on the deck we could hear the roosters but I didn't mind although they can be annoying if you are outside trying to eat at a table on a beach lounge chair.
My husband and I were celebrating our 32nd anniversary so I was happy to be able to utilize a "plunge" pool without children and a nice whirlpool overlooking the ocean.
There is no beach access but I knew that and didn't care and there are so many beaches on Kauai I don't see why you'd care. There is access to the St. Regis and I didn't think I was use it but my husband wanted to check it out and I'm glad we did- it's beautiful and the otel is stunning.
After my 4th day I did fall on a slippery walk when on a beautiful day suddenly the sky opened and it poured. Unfortunately this injury kept we from doing a number of things we had planned including any hiking. My toes were blue and foot swollen and I realize accidents happen but it would have been nice if the hotel had been able to supply an icepack. I iced it but the following morning asked if they had any since I am sure this happens occasionally. I was asked to wait for over ten minutes at the concierge while a security person was sent for only to be told no they didn't have them. I'm sure they could have told me that on the phone. That is the one thing I believe was not handled well. They should either have them or get you one. The secuity person could easily see how swollen my foot was. It's been 2 weeks and I'm still limping.
Back to the great stuff though.
Decent drinks at bar.
Great breakfast wraps at onsite market you can eat outside by pool with your starbucks coffee. You get a $10 voucher to market if you decline housekeeping BUT we found out the hard way you lose it IF not used same day. So be sure you use it. You can also use it at the restaurant or bar BUT not on alcohol or grocery items. The restaurant Nanea is handy and food excellent too.
The grounds were beautiful and lush. Grounds are kept beautifully.

Room Tip: For more privacy request a 2nd floor otherwise balcony will be an open book to passersby. Room depe...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank grapetomato
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This resort is PERFECT for those honeymooners or adults who do not relish sharing their vacation experience with small children. There are very few present at this property. It is, however, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The Princeville Hotel is stunning, as is Hanalei. There are no Safrewyas or large restaurant; nor are there hordes of tourists. A little pricier to fly into and more difficult to get to, Princevill, and Kauai in general is much less commercial than Maui. It is closer to the real Hawaai, in my opinion. If you are looking for rest and relaxation, this is the resort for you. If you wanna party, go to Maui!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank nooooowaaaay
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Would like to extend my sincerest thanks and appreciation to all the fine personnel that made our 25th Anniversary vacation a truly memorable one. Arriving late Tuesday evening, close to midnight, the Bellman that greeted us was both friendly and informative saving us both precious time and money. The receptionist was also very thoughtful and accomodating to us. The restaruant experience was excellent as well with attentive hostesses, thoughtful waitresses, and terrific chiefs.With the Princeville market close by, we were able to enjoy making our own meals for breakfast. We would adopt everyone we spoke with and look forward to staying again in the future. My wife and I carefully researched all available resorts on the entire island of Kua'i and actually tried their restaurants for lunch, but we were ALWAYS more impressed and grateful that we chose the Westin at Princeville Villas over all other options. Very difficult to leave for home, but this is an indicator of an excellent vacation.
Again, THANK YOU! Aloha and Mahalo.
ALWAYS AND FOREVER,
Robert and Nancy Lavelle Thursday 10-27-2011

Room Tip: Remeber in life, ultimately the way you treat others is how you will be treated.Upon arrival and at...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!