“Saved my vacation”

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had stayed three days in Poipu before coming up to Princeville for another three days. I had reserved a private condo, which, upon arriving, was not at advertised and we couldn't stay there. One one hour's notice there weren't too many options in the Princeville area, and the St Regis was beyond my budget, so we ended up at the Westin on a AAA rate which I found quite reasonable for a resort villa place. (It was comparable to the 2-bd full ocean view ocean view condo previously reserved.)

I was traveling with my mother and while we had not done any research on the Westin ahead of time we were pleasantly surprised throughout our stay. Though we are not big swimming/tanning people, the free facilities over at St. Regis were awesome and very convenient, so we went to the beach every day. The pool at the Westin was lovely and we went there every day also.

We had a free breakfast buffet every day since we volunteered to pass up the daily towel change (we had more than enough as it was). The buffet is ordinarily $20 which I thought was still a good value considering that it was a resort and it was quite nice, plenty of options. The staff was all very friendly and they helped us with dinner options and booking a helicopter tour from the Princeville airport.

My room was on the ground floor, facing the ocean, so I had a full view of the ocean beyond the golf course. Chickens and geese were always around but noise was never an issue. The kitchen had all the dishes/utensils, full size refrigerator and even a tiny dishwasher. Washer/dryer in the room was also helpful. After checkout at 10 we had a full day to kill before our flight, so they encouraged us to continue to use the beach/pool and reserve a "hospitality room" for 45 mins to clean up and get organized for the flight.

All in all a great experience for less than I would have expected, and I ended up getting pretty much everything I would have in the condo, plus the ease of using the St. Regis. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ocean or pool views would be better than those of the parking lot, as with any hotel. All of the bu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ytrium39
WestinPrinceville, Manager at Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Aloha ytrium39: Mahalo for your review on your recent stay with us. We are glad you chose The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas with the last minute rearranging of accommodations in Princeville. We appreciate that you participated in our Malama Ka Honua (Take care of the Earth) program where you forgo the daily housekeeping service and in return receive one breakfast buffet in Nanea Restaurant. Thank you for recognizing the friendly staff and are delighted that you had a great experience throughout your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the islands. Stay Well!

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights as part of our honeymoon. We wanted a nice place with kitchen facilities so we could save money by not being forced to eat out for every meal.

Check in - Valet parking / self parking are the same price so we used the valet sometimes. Our building was close to the side lot so we did park ourselves when there were closer spots available. Check in was easy. The bell boys brought our stuff to the room while we explored the grounds. My wifes sister had been in princeville earlier that month and had dropped off a gift for us which they held for us which was nice.

Concierge - They helped us get to know the area and booked a few excursions for us. zip lining, dinner resos golf etc

Room - we had a 2nd floor room overlooking the golf course (sort of, as there were tall tree in between) and a sliver of ocean if you looked out the balcony. The room was very nice with a full kitchen and utensils etc. Washer/dryer was great. Bathroom was awesome as the jacuzzi tub was in between the bedroom and the bathroom with shutters that opened. Perfect for honeymooners! Beds were super comfy and great pillows too!

Grounds - They were nice and well kept. There is no beach on this property but you can use the shuttle to get to the St Regis and use their beach. You also get free valet parking at the St Regis if you prefer to drive. The pools were really nice with a small water fall between them. There was only one hot tub we could find and it was always packed so we never went to it. Plenty of bbq's all over the grounds which we used most nights.

Gym - Was nice but too small. Treadmills were often occupied by old people walking at 1mph for 1 hour at a time. Go for a walk outside! There should be a 30 minute limit and you should have to be going at least 5 mph.

Food - The sunday brunch was good but expensive. They had a fair amount of sashimi which we love as well as other brunch foods. We also had the weekday breakfast buffet which was similar without the sashimi or prime rib. The service there was SLOW! We often would have finished a plate of food before they took our coffee/juice order. And once they got the order it would still take another 15 minutes to get the coffee. Way too slow. And there werent that many tables. We did see the waiters chatting for way too long instead of taking orders / bringing orders. Its a buffet for gods sake it shouldnt be that hard.

Overall - A great place to stay but definitely on the pricey side.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TMD2006

Dear TMD2006: Congratulations on your recent wedding. We are delighted that you were able to spend part of your Honeymoon with us and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the resort and the amenities that we offer to provide the comforts of home in all the villas including the fully equipped kitchens, washer/dryer, whirlpool tubs in the bathrooms, the Westin Heavenly Bed and more. We also offer complimentary high speed internet access and have no resort fee. The parking fee for valet or self parking is the same. The 20 BBQ grills located throughout the resort is for the convenience of our guests for a nice casual outdoor meal. There are 4 pools at the resort and whirlpool tubs adjacent to 3 of the pools and we apologize if this was not pointed out to you during your stay. Thank you for your feedback on the slow service you encountered during breakfast. This has been shared with our Food & Beverage leadership team to evaluate the staffing and processes in place over this meal period. We hope that you will choose to return for a future visit to Kaua’i. Mahalo and Be Well!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We are Westin owners in Maui and Starwood sent us a "special offer" to come to their Princeville resort. From the moment we arrived they let us know we were on a "package" which conferred a lesser status to us. They offered us a first floor room that looked directly out to the parking lot, adjacent to a noisy generator. Their response to our not wanting that room was "how much time do you spend in your room anyway?" Huh???? You major in Hotel Management in college and that's what you come up with? So we need up paying extra to upgrade to a room that felt more like a vacation resort spot. BUT we checked in late in the afternoon, too late to know what our new view would be. Now, I'm no prude, but there are some things that I just do not think are spectator sports. As it turned out, for some unfathomable reason, the Westin set up a massage palapa smack dab in the middle of the lawn in full view of, oh I'd say, a quarter of the rooms. That means that directly outside of my room, about 20 feet away, there is a largely naked human being rubbed with oil in full view from every window and my terrace. I'm sorry. This is just not right. It's vulgar. It's Inappropriate. It's impinging on my right to enjoy my personal space. Honestly, who wants to watch that blubbery flank being kneaded while trying to eat breakfast? I like a massage as well as anyone, but honestly, not on the lawn with an audience. In addition to that....the restaurant is expensive and not vert good, the maid service, which comes once in a week consisted of making the bed and nothing else. If you want more coffee or shampoo, you have to go shopping 'cause they ain't giving you any. I really like my Westin Maui timeshare but I would never recommend this Princeville resort to anyone I like.

Room Tip: Good luck with that.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank damicom
WestinPrincevilleMgr, Manager at Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Aloha damicom,

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Vacation Ownership and for choosing to stay with us at The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas for your recent stay in the islands. It is our aim to provide all of our guests and owners a delightful stay, and we are sorry that your expectations were unmet with regard to your room location. However, we are pleased we were able to move you to a room better suited to your needs. We appreciate your feedback regarding the spa papai, and curtains are being utilized to provide a more private experience for our guests. We hope you will consider joining us again and seeing the improvements made based on your comments. Mahalo.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

This resort was understated and luxurious, with comfy bedding and great jetted tubs. We had an ocean view from building 7, and started our days on the balcony listening to the waves. The gym was a little too small for the number of guests, but the equipment was modern. There were lots of high-quality grills on the property, and preparing our own meals outside was one of the highlights of the trip. I couldn't figure out how to change the channels on the tv, and a service person was quickly dispatched to help us out---a little embarassing, but they were very nice about it. Chickens roam the property, but they were very quiet with their early morning crowing, which I appreciated. If you're looking for a quiet place to escape, this really had it all.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheripg
WestinPrinceville, Manager at Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Aloha sheripg: Thank you for the review on your recent stay at The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. The villas have wonderful amenities that provide the comforts of home including the Westin Heavenly Bed, whirlpool tubs, fully equipped kitchens, washer/dryers, complimentary high speed internet access and more. The 20 BBQ grills that are spread throughout the resort enables our guests to enjoy a nice casual outdoor meal and we are delighted to hear that they were a highlight of your trip. Mahalo for choosing our resort and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Kaua’i. Stay Well!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We came to the Westin Princeville because I have an SPG membership and we were offered one of their vacation packages. I had just been contemplating Hawaii, and it fortuitously arrived--a package stay at the Westin on Kauai. I had never visited Hawaii before but in my brief research, Kauai had always appealed more to me, with its jungles and canyons. Done and done! I booked my stay in January of 2013, and finalised our dates in February, picking October as our vacation time because firstly, it would be our third wedding anniversary, and secondly, prime vacation time would have ended with kids back in school, and thirdly, October seemed more temperate, but lacked the wave swell of the winter months. I had stayed at the Westin Harbourfront in Toronto fairly regularly and had a positive view of them, so I was confident that the property in Hawaii would reflect that.

The facilities are lovely and match the pictures shown on the website. My expectations for the room and resort were well-calibrated by the presentation of literature, website, and review sites. Our studio suite was certainly more than adequate for our needs, and roomy enough for a couple celebrating their anniversary. We lucked out and scored a room facing the end of the golf course and the ocean--quite a boon for this newbie photographer. We also happened to be by the quiet pool/jacuzzi area which was nice.

The suite came equipped with a washer/dryer and kitchenette, both of which were put to good use. I can't emphasise how useful it is to be able to wash clothes in Hawaii. Even on pur mildest days, we were still going through two outfits a day. (Sweat, mud, sand, more sweat!) i had packed extra clothes but it was still handy to switch clothes for dinner or between tours. And swimsuits! Well, you don't want manky swimsuits in your luggage heading back home.

We stocked the fridge and cupboards with cereal, noodles, easily prepared small things. Everything seems to close by nine, so it is good to have backup food for those times when it is late and one gets nibbly. If you don't use everything, they will donate your unopened food to the Kauai foodbank on your behalf.

Parking is expensivish. At first I didn't blink, coming from SF/Seattle where parking is at a premium. But then somebody pointed out that a) they don't lack for room, b) a car is fairly necessary to get about and c) you don't have any parking alternatives. We used the valet once, and while we got the car in a timely manner, we decided we might as well park it ourselves.

The concierge service was fine. Our concierge met us and arranged for us to go horseback riding, which was lovely. I pre-booked most of our tours though ahead of time to finesse our schedule a bit more. We liked the little gift bag and the complimentary beverages that they gave us in honor of our anniversary.

The pools are cute, but a little on the shallow side. This is great if you have kids or are feeling rather floaty, but my 6 ' 2" husband felt like the depth was overly shallow. He couldn't swim comfortably. We realise these are meant to be relaxing pools, not lap pools, but he felt disappointed. Also while the pools themselves generally weren't crowded at this time of year, the jacuzzis are almost always crowded which is not great if one likes a bit of solitude. Fortunately, there are jacuzzi tubs in the suite which worked well enough for my purposes. (Ie. reading and soaking!)

The location is great, if you ask me, but I hadn't expected beach access. The resort is on the cliffs/bluffs a bit east of Hanalei, which soothed my paranoid mind re: tsunamis and flooding. They are in the first section of Princeville which meant that the Foodland was easily reached, as well as numerous scenic overlooks. Plus I kinda totally fell in love with the lush north shore. The beach that is closest is supposed to be Anini Beach which was referenced in Lilo and Stitch.

We initially were going to see the Westin Vacation Ownership program BUT cancelled and turned our vouchers back in. Firstly, the presentation is prohibitively long--90 minutes in prime daytime adventure having time. We decided we'd rather use the time for exploring Hawaii more. And by that point, we had also decided that while the Westin facilities were great, they didn't quite have the local flavour we woukd like to try on our next visit. It is very much a resort...which is great for families with lots of kids, or older folks, chillin' on the lanai. It just doesn't feel quite like our thing, although we were glad to have experienced it for our first taste of Hawaii. (Also I just don't dig onsite sales pitches. Thankfully, there was no further pressure from Wrstin staff--they let me back out gracefully.)

One tiny hitch: on our last day, we recieved notice that the hot water would be out from 9 to 4. So we had to make some plans around that inconvenience. I am really fond of my late night soaks with favourite books and obviously that was out.

In summation: great facilities over-all which would be great for families, older couples, those visiting for their first time. The location is great for photographers looking to capture sunsets in Hanalei or the lush jungly north shore. We were close to Kilauea, the Silver Falls Ranch, and the awesome mini golf course. (I don't golf, but I do mini golf.) it's really far from Port Allen but at least one Napali Coast tour leaves from Hanalei, I think. It's a bit spendy if you don't have a package deal but decent value if you do.

Room Tip: Book early and try for the off-months. Building six is nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PixelLis
WestinPrinceville, Manager at Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear PixelLis: We are delighted that you had an opportunity to stay with us. Thank you for your review that outlines the details of your stay. It is nice to hear that overall, you had a great stay with us. The spacious villa accommodations do provide the comforts of home including a fully equipped kitchen, whirlpool tubs, Westin Heavenly Beds, washer/dryers, flat panel TVs with DVD players and more. We do have a parking fee, however, we do not charge a resort fee. Services such as high speed internet access, and resort shuttle service is complimentary. The 4 pools we have on property are spread throughout the almost 19 acres of the resort. The Westin Princeville guests also have access (at no charge) to the lap pool located at the Makai Golf Club, approximately 1 mile from the resort. This is an option for our guests who are looking for a deeper pool to do swim laps without having to swim around people who are relaxing and soaking in the resort pools. The complimentary resort shuttle will shuttle our guests to the Makai Golf Club or it is a short 5 minute drive. We are sorry that the emergency water repairs caused some inconvenience on your last day with no hot water. Please be assured that this is not a frequent occurrence at the resort. We are happy that you had a nice 1st time visit to Hawai’i and that you chose Kaua’i and The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. Mahalo and Stay Well!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

This was a great Starwood property....private with ocean and beautiful golf course/mountain views. The suites are HUGE and have great full kichens.

The only complaint: when housekeeping starts in the morning the doors slam VERY loud and it wakes you up a few times.

The food was great, pool service staff was great, good drink specials. The wine specials in the restaurant were AWESOME.

We were happier here than at the St. Regis down the road and we will totally be back.

Also, don't go for valet. Parking in the lot is very easy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank divadan

Dear divadan: Mahalo for the review on your recent stay with us at The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. The spacious one bedroom villas/suites are almost 800 square feet with a separate living room area, master bedroom and large bathroom and all the conveniences of home including the fully equipped kitchen, washer/dryer, Westin Heavenly bed, complimentary high speed internet access and more. We are delighted that you enjoyed the food and drink specials provided by our pools service staff as well as the Wine specials in Nanea Restaurant and Bar. We are sorry that you were bothered by slamming doors in the morning. Thank you for brining this to our attention as our Housekeeping leaders have used your feedback as a re-training opportunity to correct this. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your future visit to the Islands. Be Well!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We've been owners of this Starwood property for four years and just returned from the most relaxing, enjoyable, two week vacation ever! All of the associates at the resort are SO friendly and helpful and make us feel More at Home, than at home!!! Front desk staff is awesome as are the concierges who can arrange any excursions or activities for you. The executive chef prepared an incredible dessert plate for our 10th anniversary that was amazing! We've stayed at other Starwood properties but, to date, this is our Home away from home!! Incredible!

Room Tip: We prefer to stay in Building 6 or 7 for the best ocean views! Enjoy the Drink of the day poolside...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank djduane1

Aloha djduan1: Congratulations on your 10th Anniversary! Thank you for the review on your most recent stay as an owner at The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. It is delightful to hear that you had a relaxing enjoyable vacation. We appreciate your recognition of the staff friendliness and helpfulness and that you feel at home when you stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon at your home away from home. Until we meet again, Be Well!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!