“immaculately spotless”

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 December 2009

The grounds and the rooms are immaculately spotless. I have never ever in my life seen such a clean place.
The beds are wonderfully comfy with high thread count cotton, plush top, etc.
The walls seem very nicely sound proofed.
There is washer/dryer, micro, 2 burner cooktop, full fridge, dishwasher, vacuum, ironing board, jetted tub, 2 head shower.
Wonderful place!
Housekeeping staff is wonderful. Can't get over how clean this place is.
Here are the only downsides: Kid's water slide is only amusing for ages 2-8, be advised. Also there is a comforter on the bed worthy of a ski lodge in Alaska. Quite a ridiculous waste of money. It's only there to make the bed look good and then you've got to toss it on the floor or couch when you actually want to use the bed.
Super plus: full length body pillow. Thanks Westin!! That's awesome!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank wannago2
There are newer reviews for Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas

Reviewed 23 December 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a week in June for our Honeymoon! This was by far the best hotel on the north shore!! Big, clean, contemporary rooms. Fantastic pools!!! I am pretty picky when it comes to hotels, and this exceeded my expectations!

I honestly can say there was nothing negative about this hotel, and we will stay here next time we visit Kauai!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2009

We stayed Dec 4-12. As to the review "feels like you could be in Orange County"....WE DISAGREE. We had a Queen Studio Building 4 ground floor view of the mountain and ocean and golf course!!! Lanai was small, but we enjoyed seeing the roosters and birds walk right up to us.(crowing was a little annoying, but dont feed them) Kauai is over run by the roosters. The pools were nicely done, layout great with lots of chairs and umbrellas (but only 3 ft (one section of pool 4ft). The concierge was great and not pushy at all. Staff always a smile and hello. Valet parking free and self parking free with lots of space available and even under covered garage always available. We enjoyed taking the shuttle to and from St Regis (ran every hour all day till 9:30pm). We rcvd at 15% discount at all St Regis restaurants....highly recommend dinner at the Makana Terrace (St Regis) absolutely wonderful food and ambience! Nanea Restaurant at the Westin great Prime Rib dinner and fabulous Rib Eye steaks!!! We enjoyed the WESTIN very much!!! Also, last but not least, Cassidy the bartender at the pool side bar makes the best Mai Tai's in Kauai!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2009

If you have young children, they do not have many activities for them. Some of the activities were very poor. The concierge was not very helpful. They constantly ask you for your room number and when they check that you are not a Westin owner, they do not want to be bothered. The cooking utensils in the kitchen were cheap. For a Westin, they could do much better. Would prefer to be on the beach.
On a positive note, the restaurant on location was nice.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We just returned from a 2 week stay at the Princeville villas and we'll go back every year now! It was so wonderful that we purchased the Ownership! The beach is 1st class and the access to the new St. Regis is a very nice "perk". The service at both properties made us think we'd died and gone straight to Heaven! The food was excellent at both resorts also. All in all, I would highly recommend this property to anyone seeking an "Old Hawaii" experience. The peacefulness was the best!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ahotttie
Reviewed 18 November 2009

request the third bldg with ocean view from living room. the suites have it all: full kitchen, washer-dryer. the many pool areas are a nice variety. within walking distance to great snorkling, check out sunset from the st regis near by

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JanetH8
Reviewed 30 October 2009

My family fell in love with the North Shore of Kauai, and have stayed 3 times previously at the Hanalei Bay Resort (HBR). This year we wanted to try different lodging. I planned a 2 week trip , the first half staying at the Hanalei Colony Resort (HCR) in Haena, the second at the Westin. I planned the Westin second thinking we didn't want to get spoiled by the luxury there, and then have to go out the the less well appointed rooms in HCR. As it turned out, within an hour of arriving at the Westin, we made arrangements to return to HCR ASAP. This review will explain why.

The good news is the Westin delivers much of what it promises. If these are the most important factors for you vacation, it might be just what you need.

The rooms are new, modern, elegantly furnished, and have some great features. The bathroom is large, big shower, amazing whirlpool tub with jets and room for 2 adults ;) ;),
and comes with Bath Robes. The kitchen is very modern, functional and has most of what you need to cook your own food. Having a laundry in your room is nice. The rooms are packed tight, we were on the second floor of a 3 story building, but I never heard the neighbors unless I was in the hallway. But, it still feels like a Hotel room, not a condo, for better or worse. Each room has a big TV set in it. That might seem like a plus, but for us, it just meant our 6 year old daughter was back to watching Disney Channel - we would rather go without.

The Pools and grounds are immaculate. Some of the landscaping is just getting going, but it is all kept up very well, looks lovely, and is all fenced into a controlled resort space. There are multiple lovely pools. My daughter loved the water slide, although it exits you into a 1.5 foot deep pool, so watch you backbone! They have poolside dining, which we tried for lunch one day. It was quite good, and nice to eat by the pool, not sure it was $60 for sandwiches and salads nice, but we enjoyed it.

They had some interesting looking activities, like an evening star gazing session, that we did not take part in. Some people might really appreciate that. The food we ate there was good, not great, but good.

Now for some of the things that turned us off.

The Location is not ideal. It is on the Kilauea side of the Princeville peninsula, so you aren't looking out over the amazing Hanalei Bay, or seeing Puff the Magic Dragon or Mount Makana (aka Bali Hai). There are many rooms, like ours, that don't have any kind of view at all, not even from the Lanai. Our view featured some Gas BBQ grills, the parking lot, and a golf course in the distance - I could well have been in Orange County instead of Kauai. The views you do get, like if you walk up the the fence along the cliffs, are dramatic, but mostly straight out over a long blue ocean. I much preferred the views at HCR, which you could get from your Lanai, and the best views were probably at HBR, where you see the Ocean, Makana, and the mountains all at once.

The other issue with the location is beach access. There is a path that leads down to Anini Beach, but it is a long, steep path, which was difficult to traverse after the rains, and was not going to be fun for my daughter to make. Anini beach is OK, nicely protected by a long reef for kids and snorkeling, but it has a very narrow beach. Ke'e and Tunnels are much better beaches for both kids and snorkeling IMO. So that walk down the path to Anini is not worth it to me. The Westin gets around this by shuttling people to the Princeville beach, in front of the 5 star St. Regis. They give you a letter explaining this when you arrive - and warning you not to make fools of yourself, or use the Regis pool, or walk through their lobby, when you are at that beach. This was insulting. We had been to that beach many times in our stays at HBR, and frankly, it is nothing special, similar to Anini, and there was no way I was going to get on a Shuttle to get there and back with a bunch of other Resort goers (not to mention my wife gets car sick if she isn't driving).

The service is high quality, but for me they are way too aggressive. The concierges are on you the moment you arrive to plan things for you. I just want to check it out first k? I'll come to you if I need you. They want to do everything, and nickel and dime you for tips. They don't force you to use Valet parking, but then tell you it will be hard to find parking if you don't. I very much believe in tipping well for services rendered, but I want a choice of what services I want done. Meanwhile, they make a big point to tell you it will be an extra $9 a day for parking. How is that not included in the already substantial nightly rate? Are we expected to get a cab from the airport and just take a shuttle to the beach every day - no thanks - I need to get out of Princeville and see the North Shore please!

Overall, the vibe of the Westin is very corporate. They give you a bunch of cards, and letters and rules when you arrive, and more letters, customer reviews, and rules when you leave. They are constantly advertising their services. They are brutally inefficient in some ways. e.g. The one full day we were there, we didn't want them to clean the room, so we put out the "Serenity" Do Not Disturb sign up. Well, they still had to call and tell us they didn't clean the room, but would if we called housekeeping, but they wanted us to know "We respect your privacy". Which immediately made me feel like they didn't, and really wanted our behinds out of there, so they could make sure we weren't trashing the place. Another time, they called to tell us that the Tsunami warning for today was canceled - which was funny because they hadn't told us it was in effect in the first place. It felt like they were constantly covering their rear ends from some kind of legal infractions, and taking us along for the ride. I got busted a couple times for minor infractions, like sitting on the edge of the infinity pool. I just wonder what would have happened if one of the Security guards on Segways caught someone smoking in the parking lot :(

Basically, when we were at the Westin, we felt the luxury, enjoyed the pool, and appreciated getting all our clothes clean in our room, but we didn't feel like we were on the North Shore of Kauai. Kauai is always the last bastion of indigenous culture - they were the last Island the second wave of Polynesians took over from the Menehunes, they were the last Island for King Kemehameha to unite under a single Hawaiian government, they are the only larger Hawaiian island to have introduced Land Use rules before they were covered with Hotels and Condos. If you appreciate that fact, staying at the Westin, feels like staying with the enemy, go stay in Haena or at at least at a VRBO condo in Princeville. If you could care less about that, this is probably a great place to stay - if you can't get rooms at the St. Regis.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
10  Thank HCRfan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!