“Great if you like lots of rules....”

Nihilani at Princeville
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

We've just come back from 9 days in unit 28a at nihilani at princeville. Really nice condo and as described, however.... I'm not sure if it is normal for US rentals or just because we are uk/Australian but we were quite taken aback by the amount of rules. Use an extra towel you'll be charged $25, don't take your shoes off charged, use an extra plate, park in the wrong place, use the pool, make a noise, have fun... You get my point. I'm sure we went there for a holiday!

We arrived in kauai at 6am after getting up at 3am for a flight. The keys were waiting for us at the car rental so we thought great lets get there. It said check in was 2pm but as the keys were they and they knew our flight details we were cool. We kept ourselves as busy as possible but so tired we went to the condo at 9.30am. After 15 mins the cleaner turned up. Next thing the management company called to advise the owners wish to charge us an extra half a day. Seriously?!?!? We were booked for 9 days and were leaving v v v early on day 9 so surely it evens out.

It just seems mean and grabby. They obviously had no one in there and just saw an easy grab for more money. Where is the aloha spirit?!?

The place is nice, you need a car. The unit we had offered no holiday extras I.e DVDs for the DVD player, games, books, beach anything really but a few chairs. For the price it would be nice to give something other than rules or threats.

Enjoy the sterility, clean before you leave and make sure you behave!

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Chelle1111
There are newer reviews for Nihilani at Princeville

Reviewed 7 July 2013

The grounds and unit are so alluring, but that's where the Spirit of Aloha stops. The "resort" is a microcosm of what can go wrong in today's unstable real estate market. Here's Nihilani in a nutshell: a figurehead "manager" controlled by bitter homeowners who have watched their three-quarters-of-a-million units become vacation rentals.

To be honest, I never even saw or heard from the "manager," but I sure did hear a lot of talk about him! And are those residents REALLY bitter? You bet! The whole place is like a study in bad politics: punish the owners who are renting out their units by levying fines based on actions of your renters. Make sure, too, to yell at little kids for minutiae when their parents aren't around, you brave, emboldened people! Make those vacationers so miserable that they won't want to come back. What constitutes a transgression, you ask? Kids laughing too loud, noise after the 6 p.m. "quiet time" curfew (how pathetic are you that you would yell at a group of girls laughing on their balcony at 6:30 p.m.?), playing "Marco Polo" at the community pool, children chasing toads, leaving the garage door open, making too much noise as you discard trash. . . shall I go on? I think you get the idea.

I would love to dissuade vacationers from entering this schizophrenic slice of heaven, but I think that's just what some of those bitter residents want. I can hear them now: "How dare you come to Princeville--one of the top travel destinations in the world--and enjoy yourselves in MY neighborhood!" Hey, genius: Why on Earth would you expect your neighborhood--in the heart of Princeville--to be immune to vacation rentals?? For that reason, I will continue to enjoy my right as a United States citizen to rent a VACATION RENTAL at Natzilani. I will NOT be bullied! I will run that A/C I paid for, I will swim and play with my kids in the COMMUNITY pool, I will encourage play and fun and exploration, and I certainly WILL NOT cow to a bunch of crankies who threaten others and wallow in their own economic demise! I will be back until I drive YOU out! You do not deserve to live in a place that looks like that, on an island that peaceful, amongst others who simply want to be happy and enjoy the fruit of their hard work.

Here's a thought: Why don't you take your dogs and go somewhere where no one will bother you? How about a place where people DON'T want to go? And while you're there, please look up "aloha" in the dictionary!

Room Tip: Stand up for your rights!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
15  Thank VacationCrazy4
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Just incredible place! My whole family was positively surprised when we entered the condo! So much space. Nicely furnished. Comfortable. Clean. Completely full kitchen. BBQ in the pool area, which we appriciate because we like making food and eat at home for the most part and we had such a good time! Another plus i the jacuzzi, which we used prety much every night. glorious. and even though our weather went up and down, we are more than satisfied, alot because of this beautiful place :) And the whole area, Princeville, is gorgeous. SO much to say. I recommend. :)

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Positively wonderful location, amazingly beautiful grounds, excellent town home. It seems like an old folks home in that you cannot make any noise or play any games with your family at the pool. The pool was so lovely though and we enjoyed our stay thoroughly. Except when my little boy picked a small leaf off a plant on the grounds, and a lady from the neighboring condo screamed at us that she would call the owners of our condo and have us kicked out. When I apologized she screamed even louder at me. We felt like we were being spied on after that. Other than that the place was perfect. The water toys made our stay so great when ewe visited the beach. It was just amazing!

Room Tip: Just go to AlohaCondos and book something from Kristen Greene. All her places are fabulous. Our room...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank PatriciaOrem
Reviewed 13 March 2013

So it was a group of 7 coming all the way from the Czech rep. On arrival, we were looking for a reception desk or someone to check us in. Soon after reading the instructions, we managed to check-in ourselves.. wow, what a great innovation :) We've been overwhelmed by the beauty of this villa and all the luxurious furniture and fittings inside. I believe that this is a kind of accommodation which has a great future, potential and will definitely prosper. Moreover, the price was very reasonable and we absolutely enjoyed our stay there. Thanks so much to the owners!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Wow! I am in. The hospitality business, I have rented many condos before specially in FL but this was amazing! All was there, toys for the beach like beach chairs in the garage, fins etc.... The condo itself has full kitchen, nicely furnished and they leave kitchen essentials like olive oils, salt, pepper, coffee machine filtera welcome basket! We were very happy with location also!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank guymichaud
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Beautiful town home. We had a every thing we could need to have a perfect stay. Great location to all north shore points of interest. This is a spacious town and very nicely furnished. The pool area is beautiful. Great golf courses with in walking distance. When we go back to Kauai we will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family