“Everything was perfect - Best Splurge Hotel”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Reviewed 21 March 2012

we stayed here for 4 nights on our honeymoon and it was very sad to leave. We felt spoiled when we went to Maui and stayed at the Westin and started complaining...
We had a top floor room overlooking Hanalei Bay. The rooms have absolutely everything possible and you could not leave the room and probably enjoy yourself for days in comfort and luxury.

The breakfast buffet and the views in the morning out on the terrace while eating are breathtaking. The views from the entire premises are unbelievable. The pool was not crowded and very easy to find space to layout and relax. You can also lay on the beach if you choose. There is a poolside restaurant and bar as well.

This is the St. Regis, so its very expensive all across the board, but you definitely get what you pay for.
We used the Spa one afternoon, simply amazing. Highly recommend if you plan on using a Spa on a trip to Hawaii. Spend the extra money here, the facilities are amazing.

If you want to splurge on a trip to Hawaii, stay at the St. Regis!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danny S
Hue O, Marketing Coordinator, The St. Regis Princeville Resort at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Wow! Congratulations on your nuptials! We are so pleased that the Resort could be a part of creating some of the most memorable moments of your time together as a couple. Creating a space with rich textures, beautiful lighting and amenities at an arm’s reach where guests never want to leave is our ultimate goal. Having a captivating view of Hanalei Bay is Mother Nature at her finest. Thank you for the wonderful review. We look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversaries!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,886)

Reviewed 20 March 2012

The St. Regis Princeville is a great category 6 Starwood hotel (I mention the category so you can adjust your expectations - this is not a cat 7) with lovely common areas, stellar views and lovely rooms.

The Junior Suite was spacious and comfortable with exceptional views that carry through from the living area to the spa tub/shower (note - no patio in the Junior Suite but we did not miss it as huge sliding windows brought the outdoors, indoors). Since we were leaving the hotel late, we were given access to a courtesy room which was a standard - it was also quite nice. We were able to upgrade to a Junior Suite for $100/night through an offer email directly from the hotel - this is an excellent value and well worth it, but at the standard rack rate of ~$1000/night, I would say a "normal" room category would be a fine choice for us.

The service was excellent from check in to check out - great staff, valets, servers and butlers (suites only have butler service with all of the standard St Regis "allow me" perks - morning coffee service, packing and unpacking service, ironing service, etc...)

The food was good overall, but not great. That said we certainly never went hungry or were massively disappointed with any meal. Room service (which can often suffer in quality) was quite good.

There is not a great "swimming beach" as it is rocky, but the views and pool more than make up for this IMHO. The only thing that would have me giving this hotel a 4.5/5, if it was a TA option, is the lack of an adults only or quiet pool. I felt a bit overrun by hyper kids at times.

Golf on the island is great - we played the Prince several times - beautiful and challenging course, the Makai - one round was enough, but the course is in good condition, the Jack Nicklaus course about 30 minutes south of the hotel - not his best course, as well as the Poipu course which is an hour from the hotel, but well worth the trip.

We are looking forward to our next trip to the St. Regis Princeville.

Area note: if you need sun all day long, every day, Princeville is likely not the location for you, but don't get scared off by the weather forecasts - showers are generally just that and last minutes versus hours.

4  Thank VancouverTheHair

Thank you for a very thoughtful review. Our staff is skilled at recognizing and anticipating the needs of the modern connoisseur such as you. We look forward to welcoming a global traveler back to the St. Regis Princeville as our ohana.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Let me start out by saying that I did not actually stay at the Princeville St. Regis (I wish!) I stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort next door, but I heard that the breakfast at the Princeville St. Regis was a must-have and so we splurged on it one morning. It was worth every penny! The outdoor eating area was lovely with the best views I have ever seen. The coffee and food was superb (my husband had the expansive buffet and I had the to-die-for Banana Bread French Toast with Mac Nuts). We probably had a breakfast that lasted over an hour, but we never felt rushed by the wait staff. When I think of my "happy place" this is it!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kariyava
Reviewed 17 March 2012

In deciding to go to Kauai for a vacation, my husband and I wanted a few basic things: somewhere to do some serious relaxation, somewhere located in beautiful and tranquil settings, and somewhere we felt comfortable. We chose the St. Regis Princeville where all 3 goals were met. From the moment we arrived, we felt taken care of. The employees were so filled with the "Aloha spirit," spending time to go through the property and amenities they had. Our room, which was very spacious, had a spectacular beach view, including sliding windows and screens. We kept the window open most of the time to get that unforgettable tidal sound. It seemed like they really paid attention to every detail in the room, including an awesome window between the bathroom and living space that could, in one instant, be clear and, in the other instant, be opaque by the push of a button. The bed was very plush and comfortable. The bathtub was deep and long, perfect after a long hike. The only detail about the room I was slightly confused about was the bathroom door, which was a wooden slat sliding door. That kind of door allows people on the outside of the door to hear everything going on inside. For that reason, I would not recommend this hotel to couples who are brand new (during that initial period of time when the slightest bathroom sound can be embarrassing), to friends who are sharing the room (unless the very best of friends), or to co-workers (again, unless the very best of friends).

The food in the hotel was delicious. I was never disappointed by anything I had there, though the price of some items were slightly shocking. If you're on a budget, I'd suggest bringing some food with you like granola bars. The hotel provides bottled Hawaiian water. The luau at the hotel was awesome! I can only imagine how women dance the Tahitian hula. My hips simply don't work like that! :)

The hotel is set very far back in Princeville, requiring a 2 mile hike into Princeville town and who knows how long of a maratho/hike into Hanalei Bay. The location was perfect as it really allowed us to get away from everything and have time to ourselves. However, for technophiles, there is zero cell service (we have AT&T) inside the hotel. I either had to make calls from the beach, or I had to lean out of my window to make calls once I got into our room.

All in all, I thought our trip to the St. Regis Princeville was delightful. The staff was spot-on. The room was comfortable and well-appointed. The setting was spectacular.

4  Thank Tynante
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed at this resort for our honeymoon and I cannot say enough good things about it!! First, we were immediately upgraded to a room with an amazing ocean and bali hai view, although we only booked a garden room.

The staff was incredible and knew our names everywhere we went! When we received our checks for dinner/breakfast/lunch they already knew who we were and what our room number was.

The beach was small, but the staff was accommodating and was always ready to bring over a chair and umbrella wherever we wanted. Pools were excellent as well.

Everything was simple. Valet was fast, the maids came when we were out of the room, and we almost felt as though we had the place to ourselves. If you are looking for a stress-free hotel with an incredible staff, look no further.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sydney H
pcaba12, Director of Sales at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Mahalo!! Honeymoons are an important life event that should provide a couple with lasting memories. Thank you for your review letting us know that your honeymoon was amazing due to our staff and your experience of our amenities and service. Congratulations and we wish you much happiness and aloha... a hui ho... until we meet again.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Our family of four (two daughters ages 10 and 14 and my husband and I) enjoyed an amazing, picturesque stay at Princeville St. Regis over Christmas break. The view from the lobby, terraces and beach is cinematic. I could have spent all day just taking it in. The property is modern, luxurious, tastefully decorated and well-kept. The staff is friendly, helpful and warm. From our arrival to our departure they made us feel as if we were VIPs: room upgrade, sightseeing tips, terrace table at breakfast (we sat next to the Jonas brothers), and sincere good-bye thanking us for our visit as we had a final drink in the lobby bar. The Vong restaurant is consistently excellent. The other hotel restaurant had some service issues during Christmas dinner which we complained about and were credited our children's meals (service was very slow).

Kauai is a magical island though it is not as hot and sunny as Maui. We spent our days taking surf lessons at nearby Hanalei Bay with Lena (the first Roxy model/pro surfer), went hiking to forbidden falls, did a helicopter tour over the scenery in South Pacific and Jurassic Park, and walked on the beach seen in the Descendants film.

Beautiful, memorable trip! Bali Hai!

Room Tip: View rooms a must!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank well-travelledmom

Thank you for taking the time to give your impressions of our resort. Family time is so important in our busy schedules, and our staff is happy to have had the opportunity provide your family with a stay that exceeded your expectations. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

The stay at the St Regis was one of our last stops in a 3 week holiday. We had splurged on a room with a view and were looking forward to enjoying the natural beauty of Kaui, part taking in kayaking and treks to waterfalls nearby. This was not to be the case since heavy rains leading up to our stay had triggerred landslides which resulted in road closures and Kaui being declared a natural disaster. It was not until we landed at the airport and tried to get a taxi to Princeville that we were informed of the local road closures; I would have expected the hotel to email us this information. After waiting at the airport for 3 hours, the roads reopened and we were able to get to the resort. This was some hours after checkin that our room was ready. We had to wait at the bar with 1 complimentary drink each until our room was ready. During this time, other hotel guest informed us that the roads had been closed for some days resulting in staff shortages and no food delivery. The hotel was able to provide a buffet dinner with not the freshes of food and no other option was available. The next day, the hotel was running without the pool side cafe and by dinner time 2 options for dining were available (a restaurant and the bar food). That night heavy rains occurred during the night and once again road closures occurred which disrupted the hotels ability to provide the service to its guests. I wish we could have had the 4 night stay at the St Regis that one would expect.

I can continue with how disappointing the service was from a 5 star resort however I would have thought that the resort would have informed their guests prior to their arrival of the actual conditions and that they were unable to provide the 5 star St Regis experience.

5  Thank S0ph13
MSgarbi, General Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Aloha from Princeville,

Thank you for taking the time to post a survey about your recent stay.

We apologize for the inconveniences of the sudden closure of the road leading to the airport. It happened very unexpectedly and is not a common occurrence for our location. This is the worst storm I’ve seen since I have been living here. This was caused by the bad weather that affected the entire State of Hawaii. All islands were impacted by the torrential rains.

On a good note, our hotel is situated well outside of the flood zones, so our guests are at the safest location by staying within our premises. We also have plenty of dry goods in storage that last weeks and since we only work with the freshest produce, we organized the delivery via boat. Interesting enough, by the time we received the goods, the road had already re-opened.

We apologize for all the inconveniences encountered with this situation that was beyond our control. In case you would like to share more about your experience, I would love to hear from you. We sympathize with you and the guests that incurred this weather front throughout the entire state.

There was some confusion generated by different sources of information, so I would like to clarify that the road was closed twice and on those two days (not consecutive) it happened for only for a portion of the day. In both times it happened very suddenly and on the second occasion we brought in the staff via boat and helicopter to our Princeville airport, which is 10 minutes away from our resort.

We took good note about your desire to be informed, however this situation came upon us very suddenly and we couldn’t anticipate the extent of it. We appreciate your review, and the spirit in which it was written.

We would be pleased to welcome you again to the St Regis Princeville.

A Hui Hou! (Until we meet again!)

Milton Sgarbi

Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!